any way to make the seat more comfy?

mayamac

we just got back from a 4 hour car trip, and they didn't seem very comfortable. DD2 may have been a bit cranky she might be a little sick and we were trying to drive during her normal sleep time- thinking she would sleep the whole way there. I turned her FF also for the reason that she has been kicking her sister relentlessly, plus she is 3+ years old and at last check on the bathroom scales she was 32 pounds- her seat goes to 35 RF,

Anyway there was lots of screaming. DD2 would not say why, though she speaks non stop about everything else. I think she was more comfy RF with the reclined angle. (DD1 has been totally jealous and wants to RF so she can lay back, too) DD1 5 yo was crying towards the end saying that her back hurt. Is there any way to make the seats more comfy? I know they make piddle pads, so can I pad the seats at all? My seats are DOM 06/08 Radian 65s. I heard the newer seats have memory foam and I have some memory foam that is not very thick. (was a queen mattress topper, but got peed on. I cut the pee spot out and with some I made a dog bed- 3 layers thick. I still have lots of the foam left.) I was thinking I could put a little at the small of her back and maybe under her tush. When I squeeze the foam it compresses down to almost nothing. Maybe if I don't have to readjust the straps the padding won't interfere?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Her back hurt because her legs were dangling. It's a common complaint.

You can put a pile of blankets on the floor under her feet, or a styrofoam cooler (empty) down there for her to put her feet on. If she can prop her feet her back won't hurt.

DD2 probably was too uncomfortable to sleep. Rear facing her might have helped, it might not have.

Wendy

Kat_Momof3

and you should NEVER EVER add anything in the way of padding to your seat that is not approved by the manufacturer of that seat.

I agree with Wendy about the cause of the complaints and remedies you can use.

tiggercat

Yep, probably the dangling. We just got back from two 5 hr drives last week, and my daughter (in a FF Radian) had the same issue. I forgot to give her a lightweight foot prop, so the dangling hurt her back. Telling her to sit criss cross applesauce helped quite a bit, it stretched out the muscle that was hurting from the dangling. We also stopped a few times for a quick stretch.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
You can also make a footrest with a noodle and a rope. Run the rope through the hole in the pool noodle and tie the rope through the RF belt path. Adjust the length so it sits as a nice little foot rest. Someone had pictures on here somewhere of one they'd made.

mayamac

ah- thanks! I had heard about the tangling leg problem, but I guess I expected to hear, "my legs hurt" not "my back hurts"- but makes sense. The rope sounds like something DD would think was fun. Thanks!

ah well- still looking for something to do with this dang memory foam. I guess the pooch gets another bed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC