Radian XTSL and older child

nonniecita

Hi there,

My dd is currently rear facing in a Britax Marathon. She will be 5 in April. She weighs 34 pounds, really skinny like me when I was a child! I have been thinking about purchasing a Radian XTSL to keep her rf'ing till 45 pounds but am not sure. Money is not an issue, safety is. Would I be crazy to keep her rear facing another year or two?

Thanks so much!

ADS

firemomof3

I would buy a Radian anyway to keep her harnessed :thumbsup: Its a great seat to use both rf & ff so at her age you can let her pick :p

babyherder

I would keep her rear facing until 6 if you can as that's when the spinal cord is supposed to be fully developed. However, she's also very safe forward facing. The rational part of my mind says there's nothing wrong with forward facing an almost five year old. The not so rational part says to keep her rear facing until she graduates high school, wrap her in bubble wrap, put a helmet on her, etc.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you can afford it, and you and your daughter don't mind her continuing to RF, then I'd say go for it :) I'm with babyherder in that aspect, since we're told the spine ossifies between 4 & 6 why not shoot for six if you can?

However, I'm sure you'll get some replies that indicate she'd be perfectly safe FFing, and it's right that she would be. My kid, I'd probably still RF her (I'm a little RF-happy, lol,) but I wouldn't blame you in the least if you didn't. :)

Kat_Momof3

she is of course safe forward facing... it's amazing you have kept her rearfacing as long as you have.

That said, I believe with all my being that it is safest for EVERYONE to ride rearfacing... and as long as she is willing, I would rearface her.

I also would be looking at the Radian line because it makes a great ff seat when she does go ff... it has taller top slots than the Marathon, to last longer, and it sits lower, which makes it easier for kids to get in and out of themselves... and gives it a more "big kid" look.

obviously, if you can't readily afford another convertible seat, I wouldn't push you to keep her rearfacing and buy one... but since obviously you can buy one as you started this thread, I say go for it.

I wish I had kids that could rearface that long.

nonniecita

Thanks, everyone.
She has never said anything about being rear facing, so I think I'll keep her that way for a while longer:)
Another question, I am pregnant and due in May. Do you all think a Marathon and XTSL will fit in a 1997 Honda Accord? I would think so, but wondering if anyone has btdt.

Thanks again!!

Kat_Momof3

you shouldn't have a problem... you may have to put them outboard (no one sitting in the middle), but that's not a huge issue with two kids... and of course, the baby won't fit the Marathon for AWHILE.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC