High back booster vs backless (again)

christineka

I've rearranged my van again. (It will not be the last time either.) It puts dd1, who is 10 years old on the driver's side captain's chair. She likes the backless booster. She fits well in it at that spot with the adjustable shoulderbelt. The backless is convenient for kids getting into the third row. As noted in my siggy, the vehicle is a 2007 sienna with the side curtain air bags. Dd1 does fit into a high back booster with room to grow. We have one she has been using. I know the high back booster offers optimal protection, but is there a point when you just let the child decide? Is it okay for dd to use a backless booster? If she was your kid would you let her?

ADS

Pixels

I would let a 10 year old child who fits the belt well in a backless, in a vehicle with curtain airbags, ride in a backless.

April

I would let a 10 year old child who fits the belt well in a backless, in a vehicle with curtain airbags, ride in a backless.

Me too. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. In fact, my long torsoed 8 year old will be riding in a backless full time in a couple months because its the only way we can get all 5 kids' seats into my van. I have no problem with a backless at age 8+.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
In that car? Yes. The Sienna was the only vehicle at the time that got a good side impact rating even withOUT airbags, and yours has airbags :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC