3 across in 02 Ody

4boysmom

Trying not to be the overbearing know it all wife and having a colicy 4 mo and 4 other kids and no one to watch them I let my dh do the carseat shuffle in the Ody we were looking at buying and he figured out that while seemingly annoying that a 3 across using 2 pwsg's and a radian was possible. Fastforward to Sat evening when we buy the van and Sun morning when we install and more or less can't get the 3 across to work. It works but it dh assumed when we went for the second car seat try that the older two, who were at school would be able to buckle themselves if placed next to each other... yeah not so much... any suggestions? Turbos? Compasess perhaps? Another Radian I guess? The seats are jammed together (radian independently installed and then boosters fit just right) so the shoulder width or maybe ity was the head wings is the max width we can get (and this is no help from our 00 quest widthwise though because of the 2nd row being cpt chairs I think we could get a radian rfing in the center. Rfing radian is incompatible in 3rd row of quest if you need to use 2nd row position as it braces and hangs over 2nd row seat back).

ADS

4boysmom

my oldest is 8 but he is pretty new to booster riding and gets out of position quite a bit so I don't think he is ready for backless really :(.

o_mom

Is the Radian FF? If so, I would put your Radian in the center back row for starters because that center third row seat is really not good for booster riders with the locking latchplate on the lapbelt.

What all kids/seats are you trying to get in there? I have an '02 Ody, so I might be able to help.

ETA: also, what seats do you have already?

4boysmom

Is the Radian FF? If so, I would put your Radian in the center back row for starters because that center third row seat is really not good for booster riders with the locking latchplate on the lapbelt.

What all kids/seats are you trying to get in there? I have an '02 Ody, so I might be able to help.

ETA: also, what seats do you have already?

We own
2 pwsg's
1 radian
2 nauti
2 efta
1 ss1
1 flex loc
1 compass booster
1 regent

in use are the pwsg's, radian, 1 nauti and the ss1. Radian is ffing currently. dh felt having the two boosters next to each other might help with buckling to have them 'share' the same spot to get hands in and take turns, but it isn't so we might as well move center boostered kid outboard now.

We just spent 8k on this thing I am willing to buy new seats and sell 'old' ones if need be if they can be a long term solution.

kids are 8 (75lb?), 6 (60lb?), 5 (45lb), 3 (38lb) and 4mo (12lb)

o_mom

Ok, so back row you probably want one harnessed two boosters or two harnessed one booster, correct?

A larger Britax seat actually works well in the center back there. With a MA or DC center, I can get Turbos on either side, old-style parkways, Fisher Price SV Booster or SRC next to them. I can even do a Harmony Secure Fit backless if I shift the center seat slightly to one side (about 1/2"). The way they sit up on the base leaves open room for buckling.

A Radian in the center also works well next to boosters back there. I can put a Radian center and two larger Britax convertibles outboard, or Radians outboard, Britax center. I don't own three Radians, but that might work as well.

I put a sticky backed velcro piece on the release button for the center to remind the boostered kids not to unbuckle the center seat when I have them back there.

The Maestro doesn't work as well with three across because it is wide at the bottom. I couldn't even fit the PW next to it, so in case you were tempted (oh, and the tether is too short so you would need an extender).

I guess I would start with the Radian center and work from there.

4boysmom

so what is the diff between the lite rider and secure? We have a tru and a walmart but no bru. I am pretty sure I saw a harmony backless at our bru. Ds is in school right now but he fills the pwsg more or less (as does 6yo:rolleyes: no way they'd get to 100lbs).

eta: is the secure the armour? http://harmonyjuvenile.com/products/2009/backless/ or is the secure a third unmentioned option

Last edited:

o_mom

Literider is smaller, shallower and more appropriate for smaller kids - usually $12.50 at Walmart in brown or pink. The Secure Comfort (green one at TRU) is big - I have a 9.5 yo that is nearly tall enough for the seatbelt who uses it. It is really deep and wide. A younger child would be tempted to slouch and have the lapbelt ride up.

Honestly if you wanted to go backless I'd get a Turbo or maybe the Cosco one - Highrise? or even the Amp. I think they are all similar width. Flip-up arms on the Coscos can help buckling (I think I'm remembering that correctly - Julie would know). The Literider is low, but the narrow belt guides and way it sits in that back row (I have one of those too...) the female part of the buckle pulls up against the seat and either leaves slack in the bucklestalk or tempts kids to not use the guide.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The flip up arms would be the Big Kid, you'd have to buy the highback, I *think*, I have only seen the Amp in backless lately. Though that may have nice tall armrests that are easy to buckle under...? I'm not sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC