Apex Booster Height!

featherhead

Ok, I just brought my nephews seat home cause I'm going to sell it. I wanted to see how high the headrest goes... I get 24" for the shoulder belt guide at the highest! Why have I never seen it mentioned before? Is it just more of the dorel hate/britax love? I realize it needs headrest support, but still, I fit in the booster, my shoulders are below the belt guide, and my hips fit between the armrests! I'll take pictures tomorrow.

ADS

Pixels

I was not remotely aware that it adjusted that high. I guess that makes it the tallest HBB, not the Frontier.

I rarely recommend it mostly because of the headrest issue. Many vehicles don't have support that high, so it wouldn't be usable to the full height. Plus, even if you have adequate support in your vehicle, what if you ever want to move it to someone else's vehicle or rent a car? I hope the other vehicle has adequate support. Just because of that issue, I am more comfortable recommending something else.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Interesting, the spreadsheet has it listed at 21". Did you measure without the padding? I would say that should only make .5" difference, though.

The thing is, I think the reason we tend to "need" super-tall belt guide HBBs is for cars without headrests; most of the time if a child has a 21"+ torso it's appropriate for them to be in a NBB. Generally speaking, then, if they need a HBB it's to provide them with head support. So even if the Apex IS taller than the Frontier, it's of limited value, know what I mean?

BTW, was that in the top locked position? That headrest will slide up until it comes out the top, so although you may be able to pull it up to 24", it's possible that that's not a real "position." I just got rid of mine, so I don't know that I can double-check.

I did love the fact that I could fit my non-skinny booty into the seat, though. :eek: Most of my dck are chunky (they're either chunky or peanuts, lol!) so it was great for that set.

BabyKaykes

beacause the average person is going to ignore the headrest issue, and even for older kids, the seat is so wide they're not going to be able to buckle it or sleep comfortably.

and i also thought it was just over 20". do you have it LOCKED in the position.

when it came out I tried my goddaughter in it because she's a pretty solid little girl, but the headrest went way higher than my seatbacks at the time.

featherhead

I definitely get 24ish" for the top position. I pulled the headrest all the way off, so I could see how it locked into position, and how many positions there were. Then I put it back on, and lined it up in the top position and locked it.
View attachment 6786

View attachment 6787

Last edited:

MomToEliEm

I recall that when the apex first came out, there were a few that had really high top harness slots (thought it was similar to the regent) while everyone else was getting lower measurements. Do you think you might have one of those mysterious seats with overly tall slots and booster seat height? What measurement do you get for the top harness slot?

featherhead

I recall that when the apex first came out, there were a few that had really high top harness slots (thought it was similar to the regent) while everyone else was getting lower measurements. Do you think you might have one of those mysterious seats with overly tall slots and booster seat height? What measurement do you get for the top harness slot?

I get 17.5 without the seat pad. With the seat pad, about 17, maybe a little less.

MomToEliEm

Here is a post I found talking about the mysterious apex with tall harness heights:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9829

In there, it looks like they had 19" top harness slots so yours probably isn't one of them since it only have 17-17.5" measurement. What is your manufacturer date? Can anyone else measure there apex to see if there might be some manufacturer change in this seat?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Here is a post I found talking about the mysterious apex with tall harness heights:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9829

In there, it looks like they had 19" top harness slots so yours probably isn't one of them since it only have 17-17.5" measurement. What is your manufacturer date? Can anyone else measure there apex to see if there might be some manufacturer change in this seat?

This used to be a *huge* deal, prior to the Nautilus coming out, when people bought the Apex... the first ones seemed to be 19", and subsequent ones were 17"...we all measured like crazy. I think the 19"'s were only in the very beginning (they were that tall on the prototype we saw at Lifesavers, then when it came out, they were only 17, we were very bummed, but it seemed like a few were 19...).

featherhead

Hmm, now I'm wondering about something. On the Dorel website it says that there are 3 headrest positions. My Apex clearly has 4... Mutant seat??

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Weird. I think mine was mfg 3/08 and although the harness slots were 17 or 18", I don't think the headrest went to 24".

It was the dark blue cover, bought from Albee last May.

ETA: No, it was mfg 10/07. I thought it was either 3 or 10 of '08, go figure.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC