Balance Bike

NannyMom

http://www.walmart.com/ip/WeeRide-10-Balance-Bike/13070207
Is that a good one? Sofi has a trike at work and at Grandma's (Radio Flyer fold n go). But she uses her feet, not the petals. I want to get her a balance bike. Is this a good one? Will it last her long enough? She's 3.5, but wears pants size 2t-3t (she's currently in between sizes). But she's also been growing alot in the torso, and is due for a leg growth.

ADS

elle7715

Wow, that's a great price. But according to a review it's only a little over 14 inches tall with the seat at it's highest.

NannyMom

We went to a bike shop this week, and they had a Strider. It was too small. Sofi sat on it, and her knees were totally bent. I asked him to raise the seat all the way so I could see how high it went. Her knees were still too bent (and, uh, he said it wasn't all the way up, like I'd asked :rolleyes:). So a 14 inch Strider is too small. They told me they could order a 16" Trek that comes with chain and pedal (to put on later) for $200 :eek:

Anyone have a Boot Scoot Zoomer?
http://www.balancebikeshop.com/Boot_Scoot_p/bszm-pink.htm

Or a Hobby? THis comes with chains and pedals too, but costs less
http://www.balancebikeshop.com/Hobby_Bike_p/hb-pink.htm

The Mini GLider says size 2T-5. Sofi's between 2t and 3t.
http://www.balancebikeshop.com/PV_Mini_Glider_p/pvm-red.htm

I just measured and she has a 16 inch inseam

ETA: Ah ha! I just found a nifty sizing chart :) http://www.balancebikeshop.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=67

keri1292

Are you sure it was too small? Hayden is 6y8m and still fits on his. Sophie is tiny, right? Here's Hayden on his last year...

In action...

I'm going to order him the longer seat post if he still can't reach the pedals on his birthday bike from two years ago. Poor kid. :rolleyes:

natysr

What size pants does she wear? Their knees are supposed to be bent on a balance bike. Jordan is outgrowing 4T in length and 5T are still a bit long, but he fits on a Strider. The Strider is one of the smaller balance bikes out there, but both the seat and the handlebars are adjustable.

There is no way that a 16" trek could be used as a balance bike for a 3 year old, unless she had extremely long legs. Jordan has a 16" Trek and he can just toe the ground on both sides with the seat all the way down.

NannyMom

What's his inseem? Sofi is small. And has a longer torso than legs (4t shirts, 2t-3t pants). But she sure looked too small, based on discussions here of how the legs should bend. Maybe we'll go back and take pics. The bike shop is really close to our house.

According to the chart, the Strider has 11-16 inch seat height. And there should be 1-2 inch clearance between the seat and the child (according to the website I've been looking at). Sofi's inseem is 16 (measured from her crotch, to the floor).

natysr

An inseam measurement neither touches the crotch, nor the floor. ;)

This was Jordan at 3 1/2 years, wearing about the same size pants as Sophie.

293388482_UWcxm-M.jpg

293388807_2UR7w-M.jpg

293389143_GY3FZ-M.jpg

Here you can see the seat post. There was still room to move it up, and like Keri said, they do sell a longer seat post too.

292132929_MxBpP-M.jpg

NannyMom

Ok, we're going back to the bike shop tomorrow or Mon (they seem to be closed now) to try out the strider again. I'll take pics and post.

natysr

This is a blurry pic, but it is Jordan on the 16" Trek just after his 4th birthday. You can see his left leg is extended, but is not able to touch the ground at the time. The seat is all the way down. No way for him to use this as a balance bike.

363278471_syoVX-M.jpg

This was him a couple of days earlier on a standard 12" bike.

358672578_ZATUa-M.jpg

mhmom

The Stryder is the perfect size for her. The Trek Float is probably too big for her...maybe as a bike for next year...on average a traditional 12" bike will fit 2-3year olds, a 16" will fit 3-5 (maybe 6) Kids will never have "proper" leg extension..the bikes are not designed for it. Make sure your child can comfortably reach the handlebars..without stretching too far forward and not in so close their elbows bend in all the way. Seat height should be high enough so that the child's foot is flat on the ground or if the are comfortable enough raised up a little, they should touch with more than tiptoes. The Stryder is a great way to learn to ride...kids become way too dependent on training wheels...and tricycles teach them how to pedals forward not like on a regular bike. Hope this helps!

P.S. I have worked at a bike shop for 15 years..if you have more questions let me know!!!

keri1292

I think she looks great and if she isn't ready to ride a 12" bike next year and has a huge growth spurt, I'd just grab the taller seat post. I LOVE the orange and lime color, but my boys picked blue and red.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC