Chest clip too high

cmm7

I know there have been threads about this but I can't seem to find them. There are safety issues of the chest clip being too high, right? C kept moving his up to right below his throat today. I tried placing it too low to see if he would just move it up a little, but he kept moving it all the way up. We spent a good 25 minutes of him screaming and me stating, "No touch" every time he went to move it while parked. He eventually gave in but I have a feeling this may continue every time we're in the car from now on. It is necessary for me to do this though, right? There is a safety concern of it being that high?

ADS

disbugsmomma

The issue that I can see with it is if you were to get in an accident or even just slam on the brakes, the chest clip would hit him in the throat. It could choke him.

Mom2FiveGirls

Sydney and Lillian did that for a while. I think I preached "push the chest clip up" so much that they thought the higher the better or something. I started teaching them to make sure it was even with their armpits and that helped. Of course now Lilly says "the clip is on my boobies! I'm good to go!" Whatever works... :)

Maedze

You don't want hard plastic to crush the delicate structures that protect the trachea in a high-speed impact, so yes, a too high chest clip can be dangerous.

cmm7

Ok, thanks, that is what I thought. He has basically no safety awareness so reasoning doesn't work with him. I will just keep going with how we did it yesterday if it comes up again today.

Pixels

In a high speed impact, the chest clip gets pushed down as the body rotates within the harness. At the end of a crash test, they all have belly clips. If it's such a danger that it will damage throat structures, wouldn't it happen anyway with a properly positioned clip?

JerseyGirl'sMama

In a high speed impact, the chest clip gets pushed down as the body rotates within the harness. At the end of a crash test, they all have belly clips. If it's such a danger that it will damage throat structures, wouldn't it happen anyway with a properly positioned clip?

:confused: If it moves down in an accident, how would it happen anyway with a properly placed retainer clip?

Pixels

If you watch crash test videos, starting with a properly placed chest clip, the body pushes the chest clip down.

My point is that if there is a risk that a chest clip will injure throat structures, it would happen with a properly placed chest clip as well, because the throat pushes down the chest clip even with a properly placed clip.

Maedze

If you watch crash test videos, starting with a properly placed chest clip, the body pushes the chest clip down.

My point is that if there is a risk that a chest clip will injure throat structures, it would happen with a properly placed chest clip as well, because the throat pushes down the chest clip even with a properly placed clip.

How is the throat pushing down the chest clip? I'm not see that. I'm seeing that the forward motion of the upper torso pushes the clip, but not the throat.

Pixels

Okay, poor wording on my part.

I'm also so used to RFing seats that I was having a hard time picturing a chest clip actually on the throat, rather than on the upper chest (collar bone, essentially). But now that I'm thinking about it I can see it with a FFing seat and slots an inch or two or more above the shoulder.

I guess if it was on the actual soft throat it could be a problem. I still don't see it being a problem if it's over bone.

hboo22

I have no advice....just wanted to add that my girls also put their chest clips even with their "boobies" :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC