locking clip

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
I don't believe they have expiry dates(? could be wrong ?) but I'd probably be inclined to replace them after a ten year period at the most.

southpawboston

it's a solid piece of metal!!! and it doesn't withstand much force, as it only functions in a pre-crash manner. it doesn't actually do any restraining of the seat in a crash. i would inspect it to see if it has any obvious signs of corrosion, and possibly replace it if it does (more to save the seatbelt than of a safety concern for the clip itself).

the reason behind the expiration dates for carseats is mostly because of deterioration of the plastic shell, which supports the harness. exposure to heat and cold extremes, as well as UV irradiation from the sun, can weaken the plastic. also, it's assumed that after six years there may be missing parts, missing manual, etc, which may also compromise proper use of the seat. those things all together are why the industry arrived at a pretty standard "shelf life" for carseats as an entire unit.

for those who are fanatical about using old and potentially compromised parts, i would focus attention more on the car's safety parts... who knows how safe the belt systems on a car are after 10 years??? yet no one seems to want to be bothered with that question... i've raised it a few times and few people comment.

LuvBug

They dont expire, just need to be replaced after a crash. Id say if it looked obviously warped then I wouldnt use it... but beyond that it is just a prepositioner and as long as it locks the belt in place it is ok. Now I did have an old one I found in my garage that must have been played with by monkeys because it wouldnt keep the belt tight, kept letting slack in when I shook the seat lol! I have a bazillion of the things though...

broken4u05

That os what i tought. thanks. I found one and was wondering if i needed to toss it but if not i could use it on my godchildren's seats. their belts dont lock and they are not using a locking clip

broken4u05

yeah i saw that. I am going to try to go to there house this friday and see if i can put in all their seats right and not let them move it

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
for those who are fanatical about using old and potentially compromised parts, i would focus attention more on the car's safety parts... who knows how safe the belt systems on a car are after 10 years??? yet no one seems to want to be bothered with that question... i've raised it a few times and few people comment.

I wish I knew. I have no idea. I used to drive an 11-year-old car and always wondered about that. :confused:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
it's a solid piece of metal!!! and it doesn't withstand much force, as it only functions in a pre-crash manner. it doesn't actually do any restraining of the seat in a crash. i would inspect it to see if it has any obvious signs of corrosion, and possibly replace it if it does (more to save the seatbelt than of a safety concern for the clip itself).

the reason behind the expiration dates for carseats is mostly because of deterioration of the plastic shell, which supports the harness. exposure to heat and cold extremes, as well as UV irradiation from the sun, can weaken the plastic. also, it's assumed that after six years there may be missing parts, missing manual, etc, which may also compromise proper use of the seat. those things all together are why the industry arrived at a pretty standard "shelf life" for carseats as an entire unit.

Oh, I wonder it, too (seen some pretty nasty seatbelts out there... is that gallon of spilled coke as innocuous as it seems, or has it eaten that webbing???)...but... there's also the issue that seatbelt standards haven't changed in decades (carseat standards change every couple of years), they are thick polyester bolted to metal frames with metal buckles...no plastic except the cosmetic casings, really, and I don't think we're seeing any rash of failing old seatbelts that would arouse the suspicions of the safety fanatics. Of course, if your belt is broken, literally, or chewed through or has been in a crash and the little label down on the side is saying 'replace me, I don't work anymore', then of course it should be replaced :). There might be something in FMVSS 208 (or 209? The seatbelt standard...) that says something about how it has to be a durable enough piece of equipment to last the life of the car? I dunno, I should read it... :D

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oh, I wonder it, too (seen some pretty nasty seatbelts out there... is that gallon of spilled coke as innocuous as it seems, or has it eaten that webbing???)...

I have to laugh at this because I had that happen!!!! A 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke spilled ALL OVER my old car's seatbelts. I called Honda and asked them what to do. They told me to soak the seatbelt in a bucket of warm (not hot) water and to blot dry. I was SO upset and always worried about those seatbelts after that...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC