BMW advertisement

lilahsmom

What do you guys think about this ad from BMW?:
http://www.bimmerpost.com/?p=6415

Scroll down to the "Joy is Maternal" picture. DH saw this in poster-form in a co-worker's office the other day, and he sent a picture to me knowing that I would throw a fit over it. The infant appears to be FF. I can't make out enough detail to know for sure if I should try to contact BMW over it.

ADS

Angela

I thought it was rear facing to start but now that I look closer, I think it is rear facing... grrr...

christineka

It's a ffing seat, but it looks like the baby is at least 1 year old. While not best practice, it's normal practice and legal.

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I had the pic up and my hubby walked up behind me and asked, "Why is that kid not rear facing?"

I'm so proud!

Susan

Niea

BMW had those same pics in this HUGE HUGE poster-sized ad in the Wall Street Journal the other day and as soon as I opened it up and spotted that kid, I went off on DH about how he totally should be RFing. DH, of course, rolled his eyes at me. But yeah, it totally irritated me that the kid was FFing.

Niea

I'm thinking the ad agency spent so much on photography and design and all that, they figured they could cheap out on the carseat. LOL

But I was thinking about the 34" think. My DS looked a lot like that kid does when he was 18 mos. At that age, he was 33" but only 18 lbs, so he was tiny and looked a lot like a 12 mos old. So I don't necessarily think it's inconceivable that a child that looks young would be 34". That being said, I'm sure the ad agency didnt even read the manual, so it's all sorta moot.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I once had a dad come in, cheap seat, FFing toddler. I mentioned that RFing was safer. He was befuddled by this because he "had done his research and this is the safest car on the market." I had to gently break it to him that it doesn't matter how many safety features your car has, if you are FFing a child that young there IS an increased risk of injury from being FFing. Once I got it through his head that the same thing happens no matter how much SIP you have and no matter how advanced your airbags are if a child's head is jerked that violently forward when their spine is not yet developed, he decided to RF again. But I could see him re-thinking his choice in car seats too once he realized how soon she would outgrow it RF (I'm just glad it was a convertible and that she still fit RF.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC