car seat placement help

flutie128

I am hoping to fit 2 car seats and an adult in the back of a 2009 Chevy Malibu this weekend. Is that possible? I have a true fit, a nautilus, a scerena, and a turbo booster. DD is RFing at 22 months, 25 pounds and 35 inches tall. DS's primary seat is the nautilus and he will be 6 in July about 48 pounds and about 46 inches tall. I have not weighed or measured he height recently. Any ideas that I can try out when I get home tonight? TIA.

ADS

featherhead

The Malibu has a decent sized back seat. It should be possible to get two seats and an adult. I would probably put the Scenera rear-facing in the center, and either the Turbo or the Nauti outboard. It is easiest for an adult to sit next to a rear-facing seat. It gives them a lot more shoulder room.

flutie128

Thanks, I have to remember to bring the scerena home from the sitter's tonight so we can use it. I am really hoping that the Nautilus fits next to it since DS behaves better in it but I will take what fits.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
They redesigned the Malibu in 2008. Based on the pictures I've seen of the older Malibus, compared with my husband's 2008 Malibu, I believe that the new backseat isn't as roomy as the old backseat. I'd say use the Turbobooster and the Scenera, because those would give you the best chances of fitting an adult in the back, too. I think the True Fit is probably too wide to work with in the back with another car seat and an adult (I've had mine rear-facing in the center and forward-facing behind the driver), though it might work with the Turbobooster. I hear the Nautilus is pretty wide, as well. Hopefully, I'm wrong, and you'll be able to work with any combo you want or they'll overlap well enough next to each other to leave room for an adult.

And just a little FYI quirk: if you do a car seat in the center, it will definitely have to be with the seatbelt, although there is a center LATCH. If you use LATCH in the center, then you can't use the driver's side outboard position next to it for either LATCH or seatbelt installs or an adult passenger.

flutie128

Thanks for that tip about the LATCH in center. I wasn't sure if I could use the LATCH in the center so I was planning on using the seat belt. I know I will probably end up with the turbo booster and scerena and I am fine with that as well.

Twinklefae

I would give the FF'ing True Fit and Rf'ing Scenera a try - the True fit is wide, but it puzzles REALLY well with an opposite direction Scenera.

Just another idea. :twocents:

featherhead

Ok, I didn't know they weren't as wide anymore. Mine is an '03 and I find it quite roomy. Good luck, and have fun:D

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I've got an 05 Malibu Maxx. I have a RF TFP center w/ LATCH and a Nautilus (gets used 1 way, 1 day a week or less) behind the passenger with the belt & tethered. There's no room for a 3rd person in the rear and I couldn't put someone behind the driver because of the center LATCH use.

I would suggest:
RF scenera outboard on the side with the single buckle. Using the seatbelt will get you a little more room to work with.
Then Booster in center and adult outboard. Their buckles would be the double buckle side. That way, it won't matter if one of them accidently unbuckles the wrong buckle at the destination.

Susan

flutie128

I got a scerena in the middle and the turbo booster on the driver's side (so he wouldn't unbuckle the scerena), and then my DH on the passenger side. It was a little cozy but it worked. I never even thought of trying the TF FFing since DS has never rode in it before. I might give that a try when I get some time though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC