Major Gene Study & Autism

ADS

southpawboston

interesting stuff. even though i know nothing about this area of research, i know that a lot of neurological diseases (parkinsons, alzheimers, etc) often can be traced to a mutation in a specific area of one chromosome, sometimes even a single gene. it just shows how much we are a reflection of our genetic composition. nature genetics is also one of the highest regarded journals in the field of biological research, so the fact that this work was published there means that there will be a lot of followup interest in it.
thumbsup.gif

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
How perfect that you posted this -- I just watched Extreme Makeover (Home Edition) ... they helped a family with 6 kids, 5 of whom have Autism!

canadianmom2three

Hey - was just watching that one too, but missed the beginning, can you tell me if there was a guy on there by the name of Dwayne Wessel who gave some advice to Ty and put him through a simulation of autism? I am actually an autism consultant, and he is (obviously) as well, and he had told me about being on Extreme Home Makeover, but I missed the beginning:mad:

canadianmom2three

Yah, DH says it is on again here at 11, but I don't know if I have the heart to stay up that late...just too tired:eek:But do me a favour if you watch it, and let me know if it was the one with Dwayne, and what you thought of his whole piece. Thx!!

Morganthe

Odd coincidence, but last night's episode of 60 minutes also had a spot on autism. The study wasn't discussed, but there were several other ongoing studies that were examined. 1 discussed behavior and early intense therapy. Another was attempting to identify autism as early as possible. Yahoo! has been sponsoring videos of 60 minutes episodes, so there might be a replay of the segment on there if it's not on cbs.com.

JaRylan

I watched the 60 Minutes segment and it was quite interesting. I wish that therapy could be started as soon as a problem is suspected and not have to wait until it is diagnosed years down the road. I watched Extreme Makeover as well...but the phone rang and I missed the beginning part..and part of the middle.

musicmaj

I watched extreme makeover and was so elated for that mom who can now see her whole house while she makes dinner. I have one autistic son - and I know how difficult it is for me to get anything done with him. I usually can not get supper made as 3pm on is super hyper active time for DS. I don't have curtains up in two rooms anymore because he tarzan swung from them. I have pictures up on my walls with cracked glass from him throwing stuff - and cleaning up spilt milk is a daily occurance. Knowing what I go through on a daily basis with my 1 autistic child makes me really feel for those parents with the 5 kids. I don't know how she does it physically and emotionally. I am so happy that they got that home makeover! They really deserve it.

That genetics study is interesting. I personally think that genetics does play SOME role in it - but I think there are other environmental factors that play into it too. Oh, and I wanted to say that my son had some "red flags" as early as 7-8 months, but was basically developing fine until 15 months old when he regressed terribly. Thanks to early intervention, he has come a long, long way and is starting to have some meaningful speech now. He has been saying a few full sentences and it is so rewarding to see. I never thought I would have a conversation with my son, but we do have some now and it is exciting. He just turned 5.

Morganthe

It's odd that all of a sudden, more information on Autism is springing up suddenly. Studies concluding at once perhaps?

www.nytimes.com (free registration req'd)

Progress is Reported on a Type of Autism
By NICHOLAS WADE
Published: February 20, 2007

Researchers have found that Rett syndrome, a severe form of autism, may not be so entirely beyond repair as supposed. In mice that carry the same genetic defect as human patients and have similar symptoms, the disease can be substantially reversed, even in adult mice, by correcting the errant gene.

Partial Rescue of MeCP2 Deficiency by Postnatal Activation of MeCP2 (PNAS)This is a surprising result for a neurological disease. Biologists generally assume that if the brain does not wire itself correctly at specific stages of development, the deficit can never be corrected.

The treatment for the Rett mice would not work in people because it involved genetically engineering the mice before conception. But by showing that the neurons are intact, except for the stricken gene, the finding may encourage new approaches. “It gives renewed hope that Rett syndrome will be a treatable disorder, and maybe autism as well,” said Monica Coenraads, co-founder of the Rett Syndrome Research Foundation.

Fred Gage, a brain expert at the Salk Institute, said, “A renewed optimism for finding a therapy for these types of diseases is warranted, I believe.”

Rett syndrome strikes mostly girls, who around the age of 3 start to lose their speech and movement faculties. It is one of the spectrum of autistic disorders, but unlike most of the others it is caused by mutations in a single gene.
The gene, known as MECP2, was identified in 1990 by Adrian Bird, a molecular biologist now at Edinburgh University. In 1999, Ruthie Amir and Huda Zoghbi at the Baylor College of Medicine discovered that mutated forms of this gene are the cause of Rett syndrome.

Dr. Bird, as part of his continuing study of what the gene does, engineered a strain of mice whose MECP2 genes had been inactivated with the insertion of an extra block of DNA. When the mice were several weeks old, they started to develop the symptoms of Rett syndrome, including the loss of movement control seen in human patients.

Dr. Bird and his colleague Jacky Guy had engineered a second gene into the mice, one with the ability to snip out the interfering block of DNA in MECP2. The second gene could be activated at will by dosing the mice with the drug tamoxifen. When the stricken mice were fed tamoxifen, even at quite advanced ages, they lost the symptoms of Rett syndrome, Dr. Bird and his colleagues reported last week in the journal Science.

A similar finding was published this month in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences by Dr. Rudolph Jaenisch and colleagues at the Whitehead Institute, though in this study the mice’s recovery was not as complete.

Dr. Bird believes that the mice’s symptoms are reversible because the MECP2 gene is not involved in any of the steps that lead neurons to grow and make the right connections among themselves. The gene comes into play only afterward, in maintaining the genetic decisions the developing neurons have made. Among the most important of these are steps to permanently switch off many genes that the neurons will no longer need. Each of the various symptoms of Rett syndrome presumably arises because a specific gene that should have been shut down is left on, causing havoc.

The MECP2 gene plays a central role in this silencing process. Its job is to recognize chemical tags called methyl groups that get added to DNA at what are called CpG sites, and to recruit proteins that silence or switch off the genes at these regions. “What MECP2 does is to go where the methyl groups tell it to go,” Dr. Bird said. “So when you put it back, normal service is resumed.”

Dr. Bird believes that this is the first time a neurological disease has been corrected by restoring a missing component of cells, and that researchers should now reconsider the view that little can be done to repair the brain after birth. “Our result shows it’s not too late,” he said, “so there’s no excuse for not going hell-for-leather to find some sort of therapy.”

The reconsideration could extend to other neurological diseases in which the neurons appear to be intact. “Given that features of Rett can be reversed in a mouse model,” Dr. Zoghbi said, “one would predict that postnatal disorders like autism and schizophrenia might be reversible.”

But it is not so easy to correct a mutated gene in people, and gene therapy has seldom worked. The problem in Rett syndrome is that the father’s copy of MECP2 gets damaged in the course of generating sperm. The gene is carried on the X chromosome, of which women have two copies in each cell. But one copy, the one bequeathed by either the mother or the father, is randomly inactivated in each cell so as to keep dosage levels the same in women’s cells as in men’s, which possess only one X chromosome. Males with a defective MECP2 gene mostly die before birth, whereas in affected women half the cells will have a good copy, half a bad one.

Could the good copy be restored in cells where it is silenced? Some biologists are thinking of ways to reawaken genes on the inactivated X chromosome in women, Dr. Gage said. Another approach, Dr. Zoghbi and Dr. Jaenisch suggested, would be to figure out the target genes that MECP2 is supposed to keep silenced and whose improper activation presumably causes the various symptoms of Rett syndrome. Drugs that suppressed each of these target genes might alleviate the symptoms of disease.

southpawboston

how coincidental; the department i work in has a group studying rett's syndrome as well... we are in direct competition with rudy jaenisch and fred gage, lol... i also worked just down the hall from fred gage when i was at the salk, from 1996-2001. rudy jaenisch works about 2 blocks from my company. small world!

Morganthe

It is a small world. :)

The article caught my notice yesterday after glancing through it & realizing that they're treating with Tamoxofen. My MiL was using it for a while as an after-treatment prevention of reoccuring breast cancer. She stopped it after having severe side effects, but the more she and I have read up on it, there would be minimal prevention anyway. The type, early awareness, early response, immediate surgery, & chemo makes it less than a 5% reoccurance rate within 10 years. Tamoxofen dropped it to less than 3% or something like that. Basically statistically equal & not worth the disabling side effects. :(

southpawboston

in mouse models of disease (i.e., a mouse engineered with a mutation in its DNA to mimick a human genetic disease, such as rett's syndrome), tamoxifen is sometimes used just as a molecular tool to switch the mutation on or off at the scientist's will... it's just engineered that way because tamoxifen (a hormone) is a great tool in the lab for switching genes on or off if the genes are engineered in a certain way. the tamoxifen use in the mouse model has nothing to do with tamoxifen use for breast cancer treatment.

D

Dwayne

Re: Dwayne Wessel
Hi,:thumbsup:
Just ran a google on myself and I found this post. :)
If you would like I can get you this video. I was showing Ty what sensory overload may feel like.
I was on the 2005 makeover, not the 2007.
dwayne@essentialautism.com

Take care friend

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC