fit of Ride Safer Travel Vest

A

Anna

Does anyone have experience with these? I have just purchased a size small ride safer travel vest for my 5 year old daughter for traveling. She is 42 inches tall, 38 pounds. The vest fits snugly around the middle/waist, however there is slack above her shoulders and in the back cross strap area. If there is any length/height adjustment for the straps, I can't find it. She is well within the ranges specified for the vest and does not have an overly small torso, so I am wondering if this slack is normal. When buckled into the car seat belt, the lap portion of the belt fits correctly on the top of the thighs. The shoulder strap lies correctly across the collar bone; however it is not flush against her body due to the slack created by the vest seemingly being too tall for her (the vest sort of bends out at the shoulder area). Is this ok? I'm waiting for a response from the company, but thought I'd try here too. Thanks!

Anna

ds/ds 8, Sushine Monterey boosters
dd, 5, Britax Boulevard

ADS

pastrygirl

I just got one and have the same question! My son weighed in at 39.5 pounds yesterday on the doctor's scale, but is closer to 37.5 at home. His height is in his torso. Snug fit around the waist, but there is a big gap on the top when he sits down. I thought I could fix it by pulling the crotch strap tighter, but I can't pull it tighter because of the velcro placement.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can the kids move about when in the car? If not, I wouldn't worry too much. There's some slack above my daughter's shoulders in hers (old version), but if I have the tether attached it takes up the slack and holds her tight. As long as the fit is good and she can't wiggle (and I check when I buckle her in) very much then I feel fine with it.

Wendy

steph_s

Some slack is ok. If you want to reduce the slack though put the vest on the child, then you will see that the back of the vest sort of naturally rises up above their bums. You can pull that down before attaching the crotch strap so that the bottom of the back is on their rear end and it will stay down (as long as they aren't doing tons of wiggling and running outside the car before getting strapped in).

I do have to say that I've only had one issue with a child who was 34lbs and super narrow not fitting in this vest. Then again this child was only about the width of a small one year old. Anyways, the company is not so great with returning emails! I have had my issues in the past. The slack is ok though (I remember I asked the same question with both my old style and new style) and it's really the placement of the belts that matter! The belts when looking straight on need to be over the thighs not stomach and between the neck and arm (they are non specific as to where in that area but made it clear it won't fit like a booster seat does).

:happy-wavehello: Hi Anna!
I don't have any advice to add (Wendy knows her stuff so I don't think I need to add anything anyway:)) except welcome, I remember you from the old Babycenter Multiples boards (I'm the one with the induced-at-41-weeks duo - DH tells them "you weren't preemies, you were post-mies";))
How do your DS's like the Montereys? Do they have to put up with snide comments from boosterless classmates? I've been a field trip driver for DDs' classes for the past couple years (CA state law is boosters aren't required after 6 years or 60 lbs. so at least half their classmates were boosterless in 1st grade and more than half in 2nd grade) and while girls say "I don't need a booster" the boys will be more like "eew, booster seats!"
Fortunately my DD's don't object to using boosters and for the most part understand it's about making the seat belt fit safely (DD1 uses an Air Booster and DD2 an old-style Parkway) although DD1, who is a bit more dramatic, occasionally worries aloud that I'll make her use a booster up through middle school

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC