OMG - 14 month old in a Regent

ktmo

Okay, I am on another board and I always read the car seat threads. :) Well, there is a mom comparing her DDs old Triumph to her DDs new Regent. So, I look and look, trying to see how old her DD is. She is 14 months old. :eek: She got the Regent, because she needs the Triumph for her next baby that is due soon.

Should I respond or say anything? She wasn't asking for input, but just comparing the two seats.

Katie

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
never hurts to put your 2 cents in...its not like youre chasing her down the street in the parking lot of babies r us to let her know shes unsafe...lol..so id say go for it. you never know she may be unaware...

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
If she is not interested in rear facing her toddler, it's an o.k. choice I suppose. THIS is why Britax ran out of Regents, people who don't really need them (assuming he's normal size) are buying them just b/c.

Splash

No, I wouldn't. She's very likely not going to turn her again, since she probably doesn't have a seat to do it in. Unless the child is very small, she probably doesn't fit RF in the Triumph any longer, and it's extremely unlikely that she's going to let a $250 seat sit around and buy another one.
The only thing I could think to even suggest was that with the Regents in high demand now, she might be able to make money selling it and get her daughter a more appropriate seat. Otherwise, the child meets the requirements for the Regent and will probably stay in it. How she can be comfortable I have no clue. Charlie is 18 months and huge, and HE was too small for that seat.

Stresch

Heh. I saw that thread, but didn't catch the age.

It drives me crazy (crazy!) when people compare the Triumph and Britax (because, you know, they only make the one seat) and say that the Truimph scores higher on safety. No it doesn't. It scores higher on cheaper.

ktmo

Yea, I think I remember her posting about which is the safest position for when she turned her DD forward-facing. I posted then, saying that the safest position would be RF, but she didn't want to.

I can't even imagine my DD in a Regent, she's almost 2, I think it would swallow her up.

I think I still might say something, just so others who read it will possibly keep their child rear-facing longer.

Katie

Morganthe

Perhaps you could bring up the idea that the Triumph is too large or awkward for a newborn. It would be 'easier' to have a removable infant seat that she could carry around for the first (est.) 9-12 months, then switch younger child to Triumph. Sure, her elder daughter would be still too small for the Regent at that point, but at least, she'll be larger and more mature in a year than she is right now .

Last edited:

ktmo

I didn't even think about the fact that the Triumph doesn't make a good RF seat. I remember seeing the pictures that Sam & Pacey has of her son outgrowing the Triumph RF very early.

I just wish everyone would come here to get advice on car seats.;)

Katie

chelle80

I would pass on the info even if she won't listen. Some one might get the message!!
Shoot, i got a thread locked down and deleted the other day because i passed on the RF info and argued with them(they were saying it would hurt their legs in a crash, i asked what was worse, a broke leg or a broke neck). But thats ok, i ended up starting another post about it, a mod tried to delete it because she didn't like my "fear tactics":rolleyes: , but the admin put it back and told them not to delete it again. And guess what, i have had about 23 people PM and tell me thank you and a few have turned their babies back RF. So at least someone cared and listened to me!!

Morganthe

I didn't even think about the fact that the Triumph doesn't make a good RF seat. I remember seeing the pictures that Sam & Pacey has of her son outgrowing the Triumph RF very early.

I just wish everyone would come here to get advice on car seats.;)

Katie

Actually, our Triumph worked really great rfing from when dd outgrew her Evenflo infant bucket abt. 9 months until around 18 months. Knowing what I do now, I could have likely kept her in it for another 9 months, but there were issues going on that convinced me (at the time) to turn her around ff. I don't regret its purchase. It was still the best style at the time we could have purchased.
If we'd been able to use the middle slots ff as Evenflo is now saying you can, I'd have used the seat much more than I did instead of getting the Maxi Cosi. But it worked great as a spare for friends to travel in our car + dh's vehicle.

I sold it in pristine condition and I'm hoping the new owners appreciate it too :)

Last edited:

southpawboston

Actually, our Triumph worked really great rfing from when dd outgrew her Evenflo infant bucket abt. 9 months until around 18 months. Knowing what I do now, I could have likely kept her in it for another 9 months, but there were issues going on that convinced me (at the time) to turn her around ff. I don't regret its purchase. It was still the best style at the time we could have purchased.
If we'd been able to use the middle slots ff as Evenflo is now saying you can, I'd have used the seat much more than I did instead of getting the Maxi Cosi. But it worked great as a spare for friends to travel in our car + dh's vehicle.

I sold it in pristine condition and I'm hoping the new owners appreciate it too :)

yeah, i agree the triumph can be a great seat for RFing... our magdalena never outgrew it by height, only by weight... had to move her FF @ 30 lbs... plus with the low seatback, it has the added advantage of being able to fit RFing in a small car without shoving the front driver's seat into the windshield! ;) AND, at the time, there were very few seats with EPS foam that were reasonably priced.

now if only they could get rid of those damned rotator knobs that squish into the back seat when RFing... :mad: that's my biggest complaint about the triumph.

Morganthe

now if only they could get rid of those damned rotator knobs that squish into the back seat when RFing... :mad: that's my biggest complaint about the triumph.

It's odd, I liked them when she was rfing. The back seat helped with leverage.
But when it was used FFing, I HATED those knobs. Too much stress on my wrists in an akward turning direction. It seemed much harder to tighten them too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC