CD'ing

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
We have been discussing CD'ing for the last few days and I thought i might turn to you guys for some advice. Since the recent layoff we are looking to cutback wherever we can, and I thought diapers would be a great spot! lol. What are your thoughts and suggestions on them?

ADS

Dillipop

If you're doing it for economic reasons, prefolds and covers are the way to go. 2 dozen prefolds, either regular or premium and 5-6 covers should last you 2-3 days and cost you about $80. We love our prefolds and covers, you just lay the prefold (folded in 3's) in the cover and put it on like a sposie. Easy to use and easy to wash!

Dillipop

I am still using infant prefolds on my 6 month old, 20 pound son during the day. At night, we use premium. If I had regulars, i would use those during the day, too. I was told premiums/regulars would last size wise until potty training for most kids. The covers I use are bummis super whisper wraps. We are using a medium and I expect to make it until close to potty training in these, too. I believe the sizing on them state 15-30 pounds.

southpawboston

not to detract you from making the switch, but for the sake of accurate cost comparisons, also factor in the cost of water and hot water, if you have to pay for those, and also detergent. you will be doing a lot more laundry. ;)

Dillipop

I only do an extra 2 loads per week with 1 in cloth full time and 1 in cloth at night. A friend of mine has 2 in cloth full time and only does 2 loads per week. It really doesn't add much to your overall bill at all.

I use purex free and clear for my diapers which costs me about 3.50 per bottle. I can make it a good 6 weeks on a bottle because I use less on my diapers. Recommended amount of detergent for diapers is about 1/2 what the manufacturer recommends. It cleans them just as well and leaves a lot less residue, leaving your diapers absorbant.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
With prefolds, we had the regular size. Nolan wore them until he was potty-trained at two. I think he could probably still fit in that size! We have many, many covers that we didn't use if you'd like them. I'd like to keep the wool ones for another baby if we adopt, but we have other ones I can send you to get your started. Then as you can get other covers, go for it...

If I couldn't afford wool covers and a few Fuzzi-Bunz for grandparents, then I'd go with whisper Wraps: http://www.bummis.com/en/Products/covers/BummiOriginal.html for about $8 each.

Or if I was using pins, then the Bummi's pull-on cover: http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=56

Let me know if you're interested in any of our covers :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Regarding washing and extra costs there, we'd wash 1-2 times/week. But we had alot of diapers just so we could spread out our diaper washings more. In the beginning, we used a wet diaper pail, but gave that up for just a dry pail. We did one hot wash cycle with a little baking soda added, then a cold rinse with occasional vinegar added to help neutralize any acid buildup from the urine. We did hang them to dry some which helped cut down on the cost of drying, but probably not as much as we could have (I always thought they were softer coming out of the dryer - sometimes when drying them on the line I'd throw them in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up). I have a friend who hangs hers to dry every single time. For stains, wash them normally, then put them in the sun on a bright day - you can watch the poop stain disappear before your eyes ... :p

didymama

if you are going super cheap-chinese prefolds with Prorap covers-you can call the company and get seconds that are just as good and the covers are GREAT!.

otherwise you can go one-size then you don't have to buy again. personally if i did it all over i would do either fuzzibunz or hard core Elimination communication with fitteds. fuzzibunz also cover a large weight range.

check here: www.diaperpin.com under product reviews-grea place to ask.

abacus2

Definately check out http://www.diaperpin.com for reviews and advice. Since you're looking to save money I recommend the just the basics package at cottonbabies.com. For about $50 you get enough cloth diapers for 1 full day and night of CDing (12 prefolds, 2 Snappis (pin alternative), 4 pull on nylon covers, one bumGenius one-size pocket diaper). I LOVE the bumGenius 2.0 pocket diapers; they work really well, fit great, and aren't bulky at all even on the small setting. They really can be used on a itty bitty baby and they also fit my 40lb dd. Another good choice is the test drive packages at sunshinediapers.com. These sets let you try out several types of diapers and then return them for store credit to buy what you find you like. Don't buy any used diapers until you have CDed for a little while and know what to look for.

Mumoflittleguys

We use covers and prefolds here. My favorite prefolds so far (since I couldn't decide between Chinese or Indian) are Thirsties, and I got them from Abbyslane.com. They're a little pricier than regular prefolds, and my preferred size is infant premium. They're very soft and wonderfully absorbant. We use that size for our 25lb 22 month old, as well as Mediums Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I would love to try some AdventureMom...lol..seems funny calling you by your sn...I will PM you later on in the day to get more info (im getting ready for work). If you get a chance you can just PM me first =] thanks for all of your help guys. i like the idea of bein able to try them and decide which ones i like and being able to return them for store credit. have you ever done this? are they pretty good about it?

racesmom

Senior Community Member
Prefolds are a great cheap and easy way to CD. They wash and dry well too.

I love Gina at Little-Lions. She'll work with you to get what works for you. Here's her pkg deals. http://www.little-lions.com/page19.html I like the medium pkg cuz you get regular and premium PF. Unless dd is a super soaker regulars are great for day use. I prefer the Bummis wraps to Proraps, but MANY use Proraps just fine.

http://www.diaperpages.com has good info on folding, trifolding, etc.

I can still use regs and premiums on my almost 3 y/o, even pinned or Snappi'd. They will last even longer if trifolded. I'm sure to PT for nearly all kids.

I wash when the pail is full. About every other day when he was a newborn, every third day later on, and now only every four days or so. He's mostly in trainers now. I also use Purex F&C, cheap and works great. I use about a 1/3 cap. Bottle last a long time.

For a pail and plastic container with a lid will work. I had a friend that used a cat litter container, free, and loved it. I have a medium flip top trash can- around $6 at Target. Toss any loose poop in the toilet, toss used dipes in the pail, when the pail's full or you're low on dipes wash them. Easy and cost effective.

GL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC