Can't unbuckle my MR

Mom2three

This morning I put DD in her MR and we went to daycare. When I went to unbuckle her, I couldn't get the right side (looking at it) to unbuckle. I tried and tried. Finally I loosened the harness all of the way out and pulled her out. I went out to check it out a few minutes ago and still can't get it to release. The only thing she has had in this seat is water, so I don't know what would cause this. Anyone else had this problem?

ADS

zactayaus

Yup, I've had this problem with both my GN and SS1 (same buckle). I find that when you unbuckle you need to be putting even pressure on the buckle when you push down. If one side does get stuck I just snap the other side in and try to unbuckle again and that usually does it.

crunchierthanthou

I've had that problem, too- usually if I'm squished him in without loosening the harness. It sometimes help to push the stuck side in farther, which seems backward. Also, the closer the the front of the button you push, the better it seems to work.

CommMom

Senior Community Member
The buckle on my MR does this as well. It's always the right side prong (my left as I look at it) that gets stuck, the left always pops right out. It usually takes me 3-4 tries to get it out when it sticks. I put the other side back in and just try again...though now I'm going to see if more even pressure or pressure toward the front helps since PPs have suggested it. It is frustrating though, because I'm in love with my MR otherwise.

Lily

I have had this problem off and on with the left side (looking at it) of the buckle since I first bought the seat. Every time I think that I should call for a replacement buckle (if that's possible, I don't actually know), it starts working more smoothly again. Same thing, no drinks in the seat (my girl is 4 months).

I think what has happened is that I've "learned" how to open my bad buckle. I have to press down quite hard the first time I try to unbuckle it, otherwise the left side will not disengage without multiple tries and wiggling it out.

A few weeks ago my friend was hit off the highway and her car rolled over. That made me worry about "what if" scenarios where I had to get my baby out of the car quickly.

Mom2three

Hopefully it is something simple.
When I was 4 I remember riding to preschool with a neighbor and her DD. I was in the backseat...with just a lapbelt. :thumbsdown: When we pulled into the school area the car was smoking. I don't know if it was on fire or not...but she pulled her DD out and reached back to unbuckle me. The belt wouldn't unbuckle and everyone was kinda freaking out. They cut the seatbelt...and that's all I remember.
I am so cholstorophobic, and scared of the same thing a PP mentioned. What if I need to get her out in a hurry. Gah. Makes me scared even thinking about being stuck.
I'm going to look at the buckle some more on my lunch break. DSs MR hasn't gotten stuck at all. :shrug-shoulders:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've had it happen. Seems to be only when someone unbuckles her without loosening the harness. Mine seems to be the left side when I'm looking at (DD's right side).

A few weeks ago my friend was hit off the highway and her car rolled over. That made me worry about "what if" scenarios where I had to get my baby out of the car quickly.
Keep a seat belt cutter somewhere within reach and you can cut the LATCH straps or vehicle seat belt and take baby out IN the seat.

I've actually considered storing a seat belt cutter right near the child restraint so anyone who gets to her could get her out, but I can't find a location I'm satisfied with it to store it.

MY GN buckle sticks at times too. The Right side (from DS perspective). I usually have to rebuckle the other side & then retry to unbuckle. It usually takes 1-3 retries.

Mom2three

I got it unbuckled finally. For some reason I had the TF in the back of my car, so I installed it and DD rode home from daycare in it. I had the MR in my office for the second half of the day trying to get it undone. My boss tried, and a few verious clients...who all thought it was hilarious. I didn't get it undone until today. I left it at work overnight, and came in this morning eyeing it. Walked over to it...and it just came undone on the first try. ???

Oh well I guess. Hopefully it will get easier each time if it keeps happening.

ZephyrBlue

The right side of DD's Nauti buckle does the same thing. So weird that it's happening on so many of these buckles :confused:

hillary116

the R side of one of our GN too- seems like it's the R side on almost everyone's who posted- weird don't you think? :confused: hasn't happened to anyof our MR though.

crunchierthanthou

the R side of one of our GN too- seems like it's the R side on almost everyone's who posted- weird don't you think? :confused: hasn't happened to anyof our MR though.

no one answered when I asked above - which side do all you buckle first?

The side that gets stuck on mine is consistently the one that goes in last and it only happens when I'm squeezing him in with a jacket rather than loosening. I also noticed it happen once when the hem of the jacket got pinched in the gap between the buckle and the plastic on the tongue- so like the tongue didn't quite get in far enough. Lastly, I can get it unstuck if I push in in farther.

That's my theory on why it happens - the tongue gets in far enough to latch and click, but somehow the unlatch mechanism is foiled if it isn't in far enough.

daniele_ut

no one answered when I asked above - which side do all you buckle first?

The side that gets stuck on mine is consistently the one that goes in last and it only happens when I'm squeezing him in with a jacket rather than loosening. I also noticed it happen once when the hem of the jacket got pinched in the gap between the buckle and the plastic on the tongue- so like the tongue didn't quite get in far enough. Lastly, I can get it unstuck if I push in in farther.

That's my theory on why it happens - the tongue gets in far enough to latch and click, but somehow the unlatch mechanism is foiled if it isn't in far enough.

This happens to my Nautilus too. I'm pretty sure I buckle the left first then the right and it's the right that gets stuck

Lily

strange. It's always my right (ds's left) that gets stuck on my GNs. That's the side I buckle last. Which side do you buckle first?

Mine is the opposite. I buckle the left side first and it's the left side that gets stuck. I read your most recent post; I will make sure it is all the way in (if as you are guessing there is a point beyond the click that must be activated) and see if that helps. I think you could very well be on to something as the buckle doesn't always stick.

TechnoGranola, thank you for the tip about the seatbelt scissors. I hadn't thought of that! Yes, I wouldn't know where to store them other than the glove box, but it could be difficult to open in some circumstances. Tough one.

hillary116

You are right- the side that gets stuck is the one I buckle last. I should try to switch it up, see if it happens to the left then.

hboo22

DD's GN buckle did that too, and I emailed Graco and they sent me a new one for free! I kept the old one as extra just in case..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC