Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Volvo XC90 center installs? /moved from Re: 3 across in Volvo XC90

Hello all,

I just came home with my new XC90 last night, and would like to do the following:

I have a 9 month old baby, rear facing, in a SnugRide on the drivers side, 2nd row seat. The seat base is in there with the LATCH connectors and is fine in that position.

What I really want to do is get a Radian XTSL for the center, 2nd row position for my smallish 5 year old (36 lbs), front facing of course. I like the Radian because it's narrower, without the arm rests and cup holders, and because she can stay in the 5-point harness until 80 lbs. ALSO having something narrow in the center might enable us to fold the passenger, 2nd row seat forward to allow people to get into the 3rd row of seats.

My issue is that the center, 2nd row position doesn't have LATCH connectors, and I'm unsure of the type of seatbelts...I know it doesn't have cinching latchplates like in our 2000 V70 (a great runner up to LATCH, IMO).

What do you all suggest for securing a Radian XTSL (or better suggestion?) in the center, 2nd row location? Just a locking clip?

THANKS SOO MUCH!
    - Doug

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Volvo XC90 center installs? /moved from Re: 3 across in Volvo XC90

It should lock at the shoulder if you pull it all the way out. At least I think that's what the seatbelts I've dealt with in an XC90 middle spot did.

However, just so you know, the Radian allows for the shoulders to go over the top slots until the tips of the ears reach the top of the shell, or 53" is reached. This is the only seat that allows it. Most do not allow the shoulders to go over the top for fear of spinal compression. So you can make your choice if you're comfortable with it. However, a 36 pound five year old will not make it to 80 pounds in that seat. It'll be outgrown by shoulder height long before that. My 32 pound five year old outgrew the seat around 40 pounds (I'm not comfortable with her going over the top slots, nor would she have found it comfortable to sit in).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785