Need advice and how much I can offer as a non-tech.

mykidsmylife

I met with a lady today who wants to get a car seat program off and running.
She wants info from me such as what seat to replace the car seats with they are lending out, ideas for the provost marshal such as how and when to hold checks etc.. and ideas such as where and what car seat info should be passed out (new mom meetings etc..)....

She already told me that they are funding the class in Sept and that I WILL get certified and they will pay for it. Then I will come on as a volunteer and install seats when people need to borrow them and teach at the new parent classes. She also said this program CANNOT get started until people are trained so the ideas I take to her now will not go into effect until I am a tech.

So I saw the car seat tech and she is upset. She says the lady shouldn't even ask me my advice on any of this since I am not a tech.

So my question is, if I will be certified when all this takes place, is it really a big deal for me to be offering suggestions now? Is it okay for me to give her a list of seats to purchase?

Thanks

ADS

Maedze

I think if you were any other person, the CPST would be right. Face it, the average technician out there doesn't have the knowledge base that you or the average advocate at c-s.org does.

So go on and give your recommendations :thumbsup:

However, I'm very suspicious of the idea of a car seat program LENDING seats. I wouldn't be involved in that, at all, unless we're talking about special needs seats. Look at Craigslist. People do unspeakable, terrible things to the car seats in their possession :ROTFLMAO:

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If the group wants your input and you have the knowledge share it. Regardless of what the CPST thinks. (However, try not to make an enemy out of the CPST if you'll need to work with her in the future!) :twocents:

mykidsmylife

The CPST will train me so I don't want to step on her toes too much.

The lending closet has seats that they loan in emergency situations. The tech has tried to get them to get rid of the program all together, but they won't. She has her name and number on all the seats so people can call her if there are questions. She has also sat down with the director and helped to write out a liability form. Basically the parents have to agree that the children are age and weight appropriate to be using the car seats.

The lady I am working with is part of a program that offers all kinds of services to the Army family. They have New Parents Support group where they go to homes and offer play groups etc... They run the birthing and new parents clasess etc.. So I would volunteer in all these areas.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC