frontier installation in nissan armada

hgmc

I just installed the britax frontier (not frontier 85) in my 2005 nissan armada using the long belt path. I was able to get a pretty snug fit on the passenger side in the 2nd row. BUT, the only tether location I could find that was properly labeled was behind the 3rd row seats almost in the middle. Can I use that tether anchor? If not, where do I attach the tether OR do I have to use the tether at all? The seat is very, very, very secure with the tether attached and I folded down the 3rd row so the tether isn't running on top of the seat. I don't mind keeping the 3rd row seats down since I usually have the stroller and other stuff back there anyways. And the seatbelt is the kind that you can adjust the height with a lever. Is that ok to use or should I move the seat to the middle? I could only get the short belt path to work in the middle and it was very loose. I'll get a different seat if I have to use the middle seat.

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The entry for the Armada in the LATCH manual indicates there are 3 top tether anchors, with 1 top tether anchor for each second row outboard (side) position, and 1 tether anchor for the third row center spot. All 3 of those tether anchors are listed as located "on floor behind seat." I would interpret that to mean the tether anchors for the second row would be on the vehicle floor directly behind or possibly underneath the second row seats, and that you wouldn't be allowed to use a third row center tether anchor for a second row installation. There's likely a diagram you could follow in the Armada's owner's manual showing exactly where on the floor the second row's tether anchors are located. :twocents:

hgmc

The entry for the Armada in the LATCH manual indicates there are 3 top tether anchors, with 1 top tether anchor for each second row outboard (side) position, and 1 tether anchor for the third row center spot. All 3 of those tether anchors are listed as located "on floor behind seat." I would interpret that to mean the tether anchors for the second row would be on the vehicle floor directly behind or possibly underneath the second row seats, and that you wouldn't be allowed to use a third row center tether anchor for a second row installation. There's likely a diagram you could follow in the Armada's owner's manual showing exactly where on the floor the second row's tether anchors are located. :twocents:
I looked directly behind the second row several times and there are no tether locations that I can see. The only one was behind the 3rd row seat. What do I do??? Use the one tether location I can find or not use it at all and get a different seat??

Thanks,
HGMC

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A 2005 model is required to have 3 tether anchors in all at a minimum, so they've got to be in there somewhere, just a matter of figuring out where Nissan has cleverly hid them. :) Aha, there are carpet flaps with an anchor label on the floor behind the second row to locate the second row tether anchors according to what I'm seeing in the online owner's manual for the 2006 Armada at Nissan's site at http://www.nissanusa.com/pdf/techpubs/armada/2006/2006-Nissan-Armada.pdf, assuming that the 2005 and 2006 are comparable because the 2005 manual isn't available online. There's a mention of the carpet flap on the .pdf file's page 64 and a diagram on page 65 showing the anchors for the second and third row. :thumbsup: The online manual also makes it clear to use the third row center's tether anchor only for a carseat installed on the third row center seating position.

hgmc

I went and looked again....I don't see anything that looks like a tether location. The one in the back was clearly marked. Could they be under the 3rd row seat or on the legs of the seat? I have seen the manual you are talking about online. I looked at my manual too and they aren't clear on where to anchor. Do I have to use the tether strap? I prefer to because the seat is solid with it. I didn't use one with the marathon since I got a solid installation without it so I never looked until now. I'm putting my 13 mo old in the marathon rear facing and will have to use the strap thing around the drivers seat. There doesn't look to be a hook for the tether on the marathon behind the drivers seat either. ARGHHH!!! Maybe I can just convince hubby to get me a new car instead!!! ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have an Armada and a Frontier. The Frontier successfully installs in every seating position. Once you learn the tricks, it's actually pretty easy.

The tether anchors for the 2nd row are directly behind the outboard seats. Right up against the side wall, where the plastic panel that houses the 3rd row cup holder comes down to meet the carpet, there is a little flap where the carpet is perforated. There should be a little silk screen picture of an anchor and the flap, but it may have worn off. Use something flat like a screw driver or a key and pry up the little flap of carpet. The tether anchor is under it.

If you can't find it, tether to the male end of the third row seat belt in the third row directly behind the seat you are using for the meantime and I will take a pic for you on Friday. (my mom has the camera)

If you needed to, you could tether a seat from the second row center to the third row center tether anchor, but the angle from the outboard to the center is not acceptable.

To get a Frontier rock solid in the second row outboard, recline the vehicle seat while you tighten the seatbelt, then pull the vehicle seat back upright afterward.

To get it in the second row center LBP, the trick is to make sure that you don't let even a centimeter of belt retract while you route the seatbelt and buckle. You can have someone, even a kid, help you by holding the belt right at the retractor, or you can do it yourself by putting a binder clip right next to the retractor once you pull the belt all the way out. Once you get the seatbelt buckled, you will be able to pull 3-4 inches of slack out of the belt if you kneel on the seat where the hip strap closest to the buckle connects to the seat.

hgmc

I have an Armada and a Frontier. The Frontier successfully installs in every seating position. Once you learn the tricks, it's actually pretty easy.

The tether anchors for the 2nd row are directly behind the outboard seats. Right up against the side wall, where the plastic panel that houses the 3rd row cup holder comes down to meet the carpet, there is a little flap where the carpet is perforated. There should be a little silk screen picture of an anchor and the flap, but it may have worn off. Use something flat like a screw driver or a key and pry up the little flap of carpet. The tether anchor is under it.

If you can't find it, tether to the male end of the third row seat belt in the third row directly behind the seat you are using for the meantime and I will take a pic for you on Friday. (my mom has the camera)

If you needed to, you could tether a seat from the second row center to the third row center tether anchor, but the angle from the outboard to the center is not acceptable.

To get a Frontier rock solid in the second row outboard, recline the vehicle seat while you tighten the seatbelt, then pull the vehicle seat back upright afterward.

To get it in the second row center LBP, the trick is to make sure that you don't let even a centimeter of belt retract while you route the seatbelt and buckle. You can have someone, even a kid, help you by holding the belt right at the retractor, or you can do it yourself by putting a binder clip right next to the retractor once you pull the belt all the way out. Once you get the seatbelt buckled, you will be able to pull 3-4 inches of slack out of the belt if you kneel on the seat where the hip strap closest to the buckle connects to the seat.
Thanks so much. What year is your armada if you don't mind me asking. I just went out and got it snug as a bug in the center using LBP and anchored it to the back tether.

Do you know if there is an anchor behind the drivers seat for a rear facing marathon? Or do I have to use one of the strap things to make an anchor?

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Thanks so much. What year is your armada if you don't mind me asking. I just went out and got it snug as a bug in the center using LBP and anchored it to the back tether.

Do you know if there is an anchor behind the drivers seat for a rear facing marathon? Or do I have to use one of the strap things to make an anchor?

Mine is an '07.

You can pry off the plastic casing around the driver's seat belt anchor point at the bottom of the B-pillar and hook the tether onto the bolt right where the seat belt webbing connects if you want, but it is actually quite a PITB to get it hooked. It's a lot easier to just loop the D-ring around the leg of the driver's seat and use that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC