13mo FF - which seat? - and no, I can't change their mind

mommycat

Just looking for some other opinions here. I know someone who will need to get a new seat soon-ish as the other one is expiring end of the year. I don't know what seat she is in now. The car is a 2dr Cavalier.

The lo was just turned FF and will be staying that way. The mom is... well, she's the mom and she wants her turned, and the dad apparently has very little say even in his own car and does not wish to do *anything* to rock the boat. They are not together and he picks DD up and drops her off 2x a week; it's about 1.5 hrs drive each way on a rural but fairly busy road, which is not always in the best of repair. I have tried to inform re RF as long as possible, but it just isn't going to happen.

Knowing how little she is, and that she falls asleep on the way, I wanted to suggest the MyRide since it gives some recline when FF, deep shell, etc. Now that I know just how (possibly over)reclined the MR can be when FF, I am not sure if this is the best choice after all.

So, IF you had to suggest a seat for a FF 13mo baby, which one would you choose? Why?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Radian? Do they have a tether anchor? It's low profile and has the SafeStop to reduce neck loading some.

Too bad the Kiddy booster with shield isn't an option in NA. This is exactly the situation it would be perfect for.

lovinwaves

Radian was my first choice. Low profile will make it easier for little one to climb up into her seat, and will keep her head away from the top of the car more. As she gets older the low profile will give the front passengers more room, and her more leg room. If the car doesn't have a top tether, the Radian would be my first choice as well. :) The only downside is if they aren't willing to have it checked by a CPST they may have some problems getting it installed.

kaysmom

I think I remember reading that the Nauti fits little ones very well, but then some say that there's the head slump issue, too...it's hard to pick a seat for such a little one to FF:(

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I wouldn't consider a Radian since it does install so upright...a little one would have serious head slump issues. Heck, my2.5yr old has head slump issues in it when FF. I know it's not supposed to be a safety issue...but I can't bring myself to do it on a regular basis. And there are times, when seats have 'wings' and the head falls under a wing...I would think it could be a safety issue.

My boys are FF in the Britax's (DCs and RA currently) and can sleep very comfortably in them.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'd suggest at least trying the TF. It installs with a nice recline in my vehicle so there's likely other vehicles out there that it installs with a recline as well. DD was VERY cozy. She was reclined enough for no head flop and could cross her legs into the seat but still had the higher sides protecting her legs.

mommycat

Thanks for all the input. So, no one thinks the MR still might be a good choice? Or are you all just adding other options?

I highly doubt that mom will reconsider RF. I actually do not have access to talk to her myself and relations are not that great between mom's/dad's sides. They do have a top tether. Dad had the seat she is in now installed by a tech (I think, his sister says he went to the FD and they had a tech do it, but I don't know if there are techs at that FD, it's not my area). He will have it installed by a tech again, but probably not me as I am related by marriage. He wants absolutely no questions at all about the install should anything ever happen.

I have reservations about the Radian because of how upright it can be as well. And, the SafeStop reduces neck loads, but it's sort of like HUGS - does it reduce it just enough to make the seat pass where it was failing without it, or does it go beyond that to improve performance over other seats, kwim? I will suggest it as well, but with other less $$ options it may not be first choice.

Maybe I should see if he is willing to uninstall the current seat after all, to try out the others, since I have all 3 of the seats on the list. ;) {ETA make that 4 seats since I have a MA as well!]

I can always have another CPST come out and check as well, and sign his check sheet, so it's not just me.

The TF is easily avaiolable and affordable, so I will definitely suggest it.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thanks for all the input. So, no one thinks the MR still might be a good choice? Or are you all just adding other options?
I'd say if the TF doesn't work out, give the MR a shot. But from all the recent installs, it seems silly reclined in so many vehicles that's it's more likely to NOT work than it is TO work. Also, the harness covers can't be used after 40# so dad has to remember to remove them. There isn't that restriction with the TF so no chance of making the mistake of forgetting to take them off. And the TF is cheaper if cost is an issue.

selinajean

So the dad is the one driving 1.5 hours each way....and he is also the one who may consider RF?

This is a kind of out-there suggestion and you would really have to know the person to know if they would be receptive to it, but....
What about installing something like a TF FF to pick up the little one. He drives a block or two down the road, stops at a gas station and flips the seat. He doesn't have to re-thread straps to adjust the harness so it could be done in a minute or so. Mom would think that she is getting her way and the LO would be safer.

Nevermind, I just read your last post Cat. Sounds like he is not willing to do the install himself?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm not comfortable with seats that reclined, personally...
I have reservations about the Radian because of how upright it can be as well. And, the SafeStop reduces neck loads, but it's sort of like HUGS - does it reduce it just enough to make the seat pass where it was failing without it, or does it go beyond that to improve performance over other seats, kwim? I will suggest it as well, but with other less $$ options it may not be first choice.
The Radian is tested in the US without the SS or the tether, and they publish their numbers. It performs very well even without the SS. At least that's how I read the data.

As far as recline it really depends on the vehicle. With the foot down, in some vehicles it installs pretty reclined. It's one of those "you have to try it to see what it's going to do" things, kind of like the MR is.
Maybe I should see if he is willing to uninstall the current seat after all, to try out the others, since I have all 3 of the seats on the list. ;) {ETA make that 4 seats since I have a MA as well!]

I can always have another CPST come out and check as well, and sign his check sheet, so it's not just me.

The TF is easily avaiolable and affordable, so I will definitely suggest it.

I believe the TF also got good head excursion numbers untethered in the compliance testing, didn't it? So it would seem at least in one respect that it's a good choice for FF and it is also lower profile, and has a nice recline to it but not too much.

I think trying them all out is an excellent idea.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Any chance she's under 23#? Then she'd HAVE to RF in the TF! DD1 was only 18# at a year and DD2 was about 25# so maybe we can get lucky and she's a lightweight?

mommycat

I don't think he'd want to do the install himself, but I haven't actually spoken to him about directly. I usually talk to his sister.

I will call him sometime and ask if he wants to try out some seats.

mommycat

I meant, 22 lbs to go FF in general, so it's not like she's 18lbs or something. Not about the TF. But thanks for being exact and resourceful! :D

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Normally, I'd lke to see a little one in the nauti.....it really does fit SO well, even the 20 lb 12 month olds, and the crash performance is impressive. It will also potentially be the last seat teh family would need, if they harness for 4 more years, high back booster until expiration puts that kid at 7ish,then backless....Its a great value for a great seat. ..BUT..my concern is that someone who won't RF a 13 month old, will decide in a year or so that the harness is too much of a hassle, and use it in booster mode, despite CA's booster laws. For that reason alone, I would pick a convertible that does NOT have a booster capability....mom's more likely to stick with a seat she has rather than shell out for a booster she doesn't have, you know? So, I'd say truefit or triumph advance, both have some recline, but not too much, in FFing mode, and are likely to install easily. CA would also be a nice option, but pricey.

mommycat

Now that you mention it, maybe I should try the Nauti too, and see how reclined it looks installed. The seat stays in dad's car, I have no idea what seat the mom has and he will likely have no influence at all on what she decides. I would think that he would keep the harness in. But maybe I should not even mention it since I am not sure and like you say, then there won't be that option without getting another seat.

I do remember putting A into the Nauti just to see at about 1yo, and he fit just beautifully. Not that I would have dreamed of putting him FF at that point since I knew better by then.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC