Ergo Baby Carrier Any Information?

arly1983

I am in the market for a new carrier. My DD is going through a phase where she desires to be carried alot. We have a Baby Bjorn and it works pretty good except for two things: My shoulders and neck hurt and Since she is sticking out in front of me, I can't interact with my DS or other daycare kids. I just found the ergo carrier on myfavoritebabycarrier.com. It con be a front carrier or back carrier. I am a little uncomfortable about ordering the $92 carrier sight unseen. My baby bjorn was purchased for DS at a yard sale for $25 two years ago and worked great for him(and me then). So does anyone have first hand knowledge of the ergo carrier?

ADS

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
I love mine! I can carry my 34 pound 2 year old on my back and its still comfy!!! best money ever spent!

CLarissa

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I have a mei tai that I carry my 20 lb ds in.

You might check thebabywearer.com for more info on the Ergo, and maybe a 2nd hand one. I've gotten great deals over there.

tl01

The Ergo is great! It is basically a stronger, more ergonomic version of a Mei Tai. I love wearing mine and DS is almost 11 months and 26 lbs. I don't really feel the weight even after a few hours of wearing him. DH and I can both use the same Ergo since it is adjustable. Also, it is an excellent option for wearing your baby while hiking. It actually is better than the frame backpacks you can purchase! I HIGHLY recommend the Ergo!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I sold my ergo last year. I had gotten a lot of use out of it. I last wore Piper in it when she was 3.5 or so, helping friends move. I put her on my back and helped move boxes and the piano and such.

We have a kozy too. I used that last month every day for a week toting her 31 pound 4.5 year old body around China. That got me sore on my shoulders, I was wishing for the wider hip band of the ergo, and the padded and secured shoulder straps. But she's also very long for the kozy, which didn't help.

Wendy

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
We have one and I loved it. However, Nolan never really liked being on my back. He would cry and bend way over to the side, trying to see around me. Then have a fit when he couldn't see anything - where we were going, what I was doing, who I was talking to (he's still this way, even at four! has to be right in the middle of everything). I ended up using a Maya sling and putting him on my hip alot.

We currently have the Ergo carrier loaned out to some friends. Their DS is now 18 months old and they still use it all the time. They love it and he doesn't mind it like Nolan did. Of all the folks we've talked to about the Ergo carrier, Nolan is one of only 2 kids that didn't like it b/c they couldn't see where they were going... :rolleyes:

didymama

i've had 2 and did like them but i LOVE my wraps. i have 2 didymos and 1 hoppediz, both are made in germany. my didy's are more cushy, but the hopp works better for poppable carries. and there are limitless positioning/tying possibilities, unlike the ergo. i can carry my 4yo around comfortably. takes some practice for some carries, but once you get it it is wonderful! you can get used ones at thebabywearer.com. great referance site. BTW i HATED the bjorn. i also love my sachi-similar to wendy's kozy. Baby Hawks are also great-just be sure to get an XT or toddlerhawk.

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I have an Ergo and LOVE it! I haven't used it in over a year but there is no way I am getting rid of it. I watch my friends baby every few months or so and he is now old enough for it. LOL

I was scared to buy something sight unseen that cost so much but Wendy had one and showed me a video of Piper in it that sold me. I wore Liam until he was over 3 years and 35lbs. I could still carry him if I needed too. I could carry my 5 year 45lbs kid weight wise, her legs were too long and would trip me though, so I couldn't do it safely.

I say get one, they are really great. I used it for everything, he hated shopping carts so we used the Ergo instead (motion sickness and hated moving backwards, he is better about it now though) we used it at buffet restaurants and anywhere else. He still likes to be carried and would probably love it if I offered it to him and he is 4.5 years old and 40lbs.

I have the older version, I have used the newer one though and like it so much more! It can be used for a hip carry which I really liked.

Rachel

Morganthe

I've had the 'new' Ergo style for over 2 years now and still LOVE it very much. Since there's no hiking or really anywhere that involves walking long distances, dd & I don't use it as much.

Still, it's very nice to have when I need it, such as last month's AKC dog show. DD was thrilled to walk around for the first hour, but when she got tired (as we expected), it was up on my back for the next 2 hours. Last time I wore it, she was considerably smaller, about 3 inches or so, but I didn't have to make any adjustments to fit her now. :D

She can easily see over my shoulder since I'm a short-waisted & stout woman. DD is about 35 1/2 lbs & almost 41 inches tall, but both of us were still very comfortable the entire time. I could bend down and she'd pet dogs to her heart's content, it was that secure and safe. I love it when she whispers in my ear as we go along. :) I can never hear her comments if she was in a stroller.

Here's an old thread that I posted photo links to demonstrate when I first started using it in 2005 if you're interested. Her feet can almost touch when she reaches her legs around my waist now. But the dangling didn't bother us at all.

In airports, it is absolutely awesome. Use the stroller to carry the carseat or bags. DD doesn't like crowds, so it's comforting to be up against me .

To carry when the child is out of it, all you have to do is hook the waist belt around your waist & secure the chest clip around your waist too. Voila, it's a belt. We also can carry it in our small diaper bag/backpack with a fold-up- toilet seat, extra clothes, my stuff, & everything else. It's that convenient.

hth :)

Last edited:

arly1983

Thanks so much for the info and the links. I have just found out that if I buy it from myfavoritebabycarrier.com that I can return it within 90 days for a full refund. So I think we will go this way and see how it works out. Everyones opinions really helped me make a decision. Thanks:)

Morganthe

Sounds wonderful. Now you get the anxiety of selecting the "right" pattern and outer fabric that you want :eek: ;)

I have the Cranberry outer combined with the cranberry lining. It's almost a dk red and has held up without much fading through 3 washings in the past year, but it was 'hang dry' all the way. I was suprised, especially with the canvas-like belt area that there was no aging. IMO, it's a very neutral color, neither feminine nor masculine. It doesn't show wear or dirt either.

good luck :)

arly1983

Your right, I need a darker color. I could't decide between the tan or blue color. But then my Baby Bjorn is black and is 3 years old and looks almost brand new and I used it. A darker color would probably look good for longer. The new ergo carriers have a cute bug pattern on the inside.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Quess I"m the only one who DESPISED mine! lol
I wore it once and then sold it promptly on Ebay. I hated all the buckles and such. IT was a pain to me to get on and was uncomfortable.
My Mei Tai was the best thing I had for carrying Ian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC