Britax Frontier 85 is a....

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Britax Frontier 85 is a.... ***ADDED PICS***

NOW A GO! Pics further on down.

No go for us. :( I have a 2000 Suburban with cloth seats and no LATCH. I wanted it in the 3rd row (only have a top tether on the passenger side). I tried short path. I tried long belt path. Both were horrid. Actually, I couldn't even get it long belt path! It was a good 3" too short!

So I relunctantly tried it in the 2nd row...both long and short. At first, I thought had an acceptable install. But with only marginal effort, the seat was able to move too much for my liking.

I'm SO bummed. I wanted to love this seat so much! I NEEDED this seat to work. My kiddo is only 2yrs 9mo. He's on the top slots of his DC. He has one more slot to go in his XT. He has one slot to go in his Maestro. I think he actually has the most grow room in the Maestro. But even the Maestro installed like doodoo in the 3rd row courtesy of the belt being forward of the bite. We get horrid head slump in the XT. I'm hoping we have better luck with the Maestro.

Now to find out how bad return shipping is going to be. :(

Last edited:
ADS

MomToEliEm

Sorry to hear that seat didn't work well for you. Hopefully you can return it without loosing too much on shipping. Maybe there is someone here who lives nearby who might like to buy it from you instead of shipping it back.

While you still have the Frontier 85 in your possession, do you think you might be able to get some measurements off of it and submit them to the carseat measurements/data spreadsheet? We have most of the frontier 80 information in the spreadsheet, but nothing on the 85 model. If you are willing to gather and submit the data, here is a post talking about what data we are collecting and how to submit it:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=111509

skitle1802

Is your Suburban a 7 or 8 seat? I have a 2002 8 passenger, leather seats and the third row top tether anchor is for the center position. Just curious, I was able to get an acceptable install with my Frontier 80 there.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
8 passenger. Center seat in 3rd row is lap only belt, and no top tether anchor. Belts forward of the bite. I didn't even bother trying it there without the top tether. It's much to be big of a seat to use without the tether IMO.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Also, I really think the cloth vs leather makes a difference. I had a '97 Sub w/leather and my seats were much firmer and I got super easy installs in it. With the '00 seats...they squish...a LOT and makes for getting (and keeping) a tighter install, harder IME.

xxluckychicxx

:( That sucks!!! I need to get out to your house before you send it back! I really want to try it in my car. I had to sell the original Frontier when I went back to driving my old car because it was a no go.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Depending on what they say, and how much it'll cost, I might be better off selling it. It's already boxed up and ready to go.

babygirlsmom1005

Are the belt paths different from the original and the 85?

I installed a regular Frontier in a 2001 Suburban of my neighbors last week....did short belt path in the 3rd row drivers outboard and long belt path center row drivers outboard....both went in easily and rock solid. She has cloth seats in it (and I got to install it 2 times because it wasn't adjusted for the correct child and I didn't find that out until it was in there for where it needed was finding it's home :rolleyes:).

Kaede's_Mom

Are the belt paths different from the original and the 85?

I installed a regular Frontier in a 2001 Suburban of my neighbors last week....did short belt path in the 3rd row drivers outboard and long belt path center row drivers outboard....both went in easily and rock solid. She has cloth seats in it (and I got to install it 2 times because it wasn't adjusted for the correct child and I didn't find that out until it was in there for where it needed was finding it's home :rolleyes:).

I am wondering the same thing, are the belt paths different? I can get Kaede's frontier in the center row of the 01 with no problems, haven't tried it in the third row though.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Maybe there is a difference from the 2000 to 2001 Suburban. I don't know. All I know is, the 3rd row is an absolute joke! And the 2nd row, driver side, was marginal at best. It didn't take much at all for it to have some movement side to side. Too much for my liking, and for what I'm accustomed too. Especially when I get a rock solid install w/the Maestro in that same spot in a matter of seconds.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Was that your first Frontier experience? I found my 'three inches too short' seatbelt in my Ford to actually fit, once I showed it who was boss. And pulling the belt through the front slits in the cover is the only way to get things tight.
Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just super bummed for you and remember how it made me think it wouldn't work in either of my cars when I first got it, it has quite a steep learning curve.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Was that your first Frontier experience? I found my 'three inches too short' seatbelt in my Ford to actually fit, once I showed it who was boss. And pulling the belt through the front slits in the cover is the only way to get things tight.
Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just super bummed for you and remember how it made me think it wouldn't work in either of my cars when I first got it, it has quite a steep learning curve.

Yep, i was SURE my belts were too short the first fwe times as well.....turns out, I can get the stupid thing into dh's metro, if I very, very careful use every last micromillimeter of belt.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Yes, it was my first Frontier experience. I suppose I can try it again...but I put my entire 191lbs into the seat trying to suck every spare millimeter out of the belt in the 3rd row. It fit in the 2nd row (long belt path) just fine, it just had too much movement for my liking.

Kat_Momof3

I hate that it didn't work for you... I figured that the bigger of the twins was the one you were thinking of when buying this seat... SIGH.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Yep, it was my only option in keeping him in a harness beyond 5 or so. I'm sure he'll outgrow everything he has now by the time he's 5, including the Radian XT (which is in dh's car for a 3 across)! And since I'm losing 2 of my seats in the next couple of months (one being outgrown by the baby now, and the other expiring)...I'd rather get him a new seat and let her use his DC since he'll likely outgrow it by the time he turns 4.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I did get it in!!!! It's in the 2nd row, LBP. It's not where I want it...I really want it in the 3rd row so the twins can be in the same row...but at least it's in...and at least I know he will remain in a harness until he's ready...not because he doesn't fit. HUGE relief!!

Now to hope that being in seperate rows won't be an issue. Though I know better...it'll be an issue. LOL

Kaede's_Mom

:thumbsup: So glad you got it in!
I was going to offer my regular frontier 80 to try if you wanted/had not tried one back there. I think you are right, it will be the only seat to keep him harnessed long enough.

Mommy0608

That's great! I'm glad you were able to get it installed. :thumbsup:

Oh, and yes of course... we need pictures!!

(Mine was supposed to ship today, but today they said it's shipping tomorrow).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC