Using too high harness slots ffing

christineka

When the radian turns into a spare I was planning to put it into dh's car with the straps in the highest slots. That way it will fit the oldest three who ride in dh's car most often. The spare high back booster will become a main seat and since dh's car is old the children can't ride in backless boosters. (No headrests.) Dd3's shoulders are a tad below the second from the top slots. Would she be okay in the radian with the harness at the top slots?

ADS

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I don't think there is any danger in having the harness that high. In the past, only the TOP slots of covertibles were reinforced for use forward-facing. Combine that with the low rear-facing limits on those seats (20 pounds) and there were very small kids who were forward facing because they were over 20 pounds, but still short and having to use the top slots. The harness was up by their ears!

christineka

Thought I'd go try it out and take pictures. I think dd looks good. What about ds? (I did not tighten the straps since the seat is still installed as ds1's main seat and I didn't want to fiddle with them later.)

Dd3
kffingradianhide.jpg

Ds2 (Harness slots at his ears)
bffingradianhide.jpg

crunchierthanthou

Yes, That's fine. Above is above as long as you can get it tight. Like SpokaneCPST said, older seats only had the tallest slots available for ff.

Did you have tether anchors retrofitted in that vehicle? Because that will be another concern. Your littles will need the safestop if it's tethered.

christineka

I forgot about the safestop thing. Dh's car does have tether anchors. So, if it is installed with seatbelt and anchored I have to put the safestop on for the younger kids? I could stick the avenue in the car too for the younger ones I guess, except I'm not sure the seat will install with a lap-shoulder belt in that car. I had planned to stick it in the middle.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My Radian didn't come with a safestop, and there was no recall saying I MUST use one on smaller kids FF, so I wonder how necessary they are? Is it mandatory in the manual for your seat?

(Just thinking out loud, of course I did use the SS for Leah when she was a young FF'er, and my SS is clearly labeled to be used to 48 pounds, so gah, what a mess that thing is!)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I can see the height not being a problem in frontal/side crashes, but what about rollovers? Wouldn't all the extra space allow the child to move up towards the top of the straps? (kind of like extra ramping up in a RF seat if the straps are over the shoulders) and possibly lead to increased chance of ejection?

daycaremom2002

If the kids only ride occasionally, I would just install the Radian like you were planning. I would put the tether on without the safe-stop and just attach it when you put the older kids in it. Un-hook it and secure it out of the way when the little kids are in the seat. The Radian has great head excursion numbers without the tether so I would be fine using it with the lower weight kids untethered. I also use seats occasionally with the harness up higher like you showed. I have never had a kid complain and I am totally comfortable with it.

brooklynsmommy

I can see the height not being a problem in frontal/side crashes, but what about rollovers? Wouldn't all the extra space allow the child to move up towards the top of the straps? (kind of like extra ramping up in a RF seat if the straps are over the shoulders) and possibly lead to increased chance of ejection?

I would think this at first too. But then you have to remember that the straps are tight on their thighs helping to hold them down.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would think this at first too. But then you have to remember that the straps are tight on their thighs helping to hold them down.
Sure, but they are when they are RF too and straps over the shoulders is a worry then because we don't want their head coming out of the shell too much. So, why we would want it way out of the shell when FF? (which like I said am thinking would only happen in a rollover) Just gives the head more chance of striking something in the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC