My fault and a now what?

AtTheSouthDam

The my fault is turning her FF lost week to show her it was safe. She said RF was more comfortable so I thought nothing of it.

With all my messing around with the MR today she wants to FF. And you know, I can keep her RF until she's done with kindergarten, but she is nearly four. I am okay with forward facing now. Even going for 35# will take her well past her forth birthday (she is still 31#).
But... I just bought the MRs in October and February. I thought I would be able to use them FF. After all, she is Ms. tiny torso, she would probably fit until she was about 6 or 7 years. Booster age, right. Gah! They don't fit FF in my van! So, do I tell her to such it up and stay RF until...? Oh, I was leaning towards letting her flop in direction as much as she wanted in the next year. That's not gonna happen now, is it?

ADS

Kat_Momof3

hmmm... I think it depends on what you CAN do... not just what you're willing to do.

At age 4, I'd be willing to get seats that will fit ff, sell the myrides, and let her be ff all the time...

but the question then arises... is it doable? if you can afford it, I'd do it... get her a Nautilus, Frontier, or Evenflo Maestro, and make the switch.

if you can't afford it... tell her the seat won't fit in your car that way and she needs to wait so you can buy her a new seat.

Of course, I'd also give it time... see if her wanting to be ff persists or if it is a passing thing.

AtTheSouthDam

Ok, so I think my plan will be to stay RF until the end of June, when she turns 4. She can RF in the RN in my van and the MR in DH's car since it is pretty reclined FF in his car too. She is good with waiting until she "changes numbers".

We are ditching the Deco MR since it is still like new. What it will be replaced with is yet to be determined but will be something that can FF in my van and when she turns 4 he will get the RN for FF.

This is okay right? I shouldn't feel guilty about turning her at 4 even though she could go a lot longer? Please tell me it is okay, I have been dwelling on it for the past two days..

Last edited:

susanx4

Just a thought, if you just bought the one in feb you could return it still if you have the box... it not fitting in both directions is a valid reason to return it...

AtTheSouthDam

I still have the box, though nicely decorated by small children. I wouldn't feel right returning it because it did work RF. It's just I really don't want to hold on to essentialyl a RF only seat for 3 months. I bought it hoping it would work FF as well as DD2 was going to get a choice at 4 years. I knew about the slot height (not a problem with her as she is just over the third) but didn't take into consideration the FF recline.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I think it sounds great. :) 4 is when I "soften up," they still RF if there's a seat available and they want to, but if they really want to FF I let them. I only have one who has this as an option at the moment.

The only thing is that I might put off buying the new FF-only seat until after she turns four, to see if she's still asking. If she doesn't ask to FF? Eh, why bring it up. Wait until she asks.

Kat_Momof3

4 is a great great achievement... Ruthie only made it to 2.5yrs, but I'm still proud of that... it was an accomplishment back then to make it that long.

you should be extremely proud of yourself for getting her the seats that let her rearface the longest and keeping her that way as long as you could.

at age 4, I have no qualms about letting a kid have a say in rf/ff... just as, at 6, as long as the child is able to ride properly, I have no qualms about letting them have a say in harness/booster.

I think the Radian is great for ff use and I'd probably get a Nautilus or Frontier for the other car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC