Question RF TF in a 01 Chevy Venture

Has any got a True Fit tight RF in a chevy venture? i for the life of me can not get it tight at all, i got it in and the belts lined up finally in the belt path for the locking clips and when i went to test the seat i could take and move it side to side a good 3-4 inches and front to back it would touch the back of the seat :eek:

The only reason i got the tf was to keep her rfing and now she has to sit ffing cause i cant get it tight, i cant send it back cause my dh threw the box outside in the rain, and i have NO money to go get another one.

anyone in the middle TN area that is close to Muary/williamson county area that can help me?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No idea where you are, but there are two techs from the board listed in TN.

Lebanon (Wilson County), TN
Karen
(seatchecker)
Initial certification: 1-2001

Memphis
Kristi Davis, RN, BSN, CCE
(KristiD761)
Technician since 2003
Instructor since 2005

Wendy

Mommy0608

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. Maybe we can help walk you through the installation, step by step.

Make sure the recline bar on the bottom of the True Fit is flipped toward the back of the vehicle. Then, reach through the slits in the cover to open the lock-offs. Thread the belt (either LATCH or seatbelt - which are you using?) through and buckle.

If using LATCH: Thread the tail of the LATCH strap up through the slit in the cover (the slit that reveals the lock-off) and pull up to tighten while pushing down on the car seat with your other hand. Once you have it almost tight enough, jiggle the LATCH strap so that it is lined up nicely in the lock-offs. Then close the lock-offs, and check for movement at the belt path (where the LATCH strap goes through the car seat). You are looking for less than 1" of movement at the belt path. Movement at the opposite end of the car seat is fine (up near baby's head) as long as you have less than an inch of movement at the belt path. If it's not tight enough, open the lock-offs and repeat.

If using seatbelt: Is it a lap-only belt, or a lap-shoulder belt? Does it lock at the retractor (pull shoulder belt out slowly all the way, then it locks when you let it back in), or does it lock at the latch plate? Follow the same basic steps as the LATCH installation. If it's a lap-only belt, feed the tail up through the slit in the cover to tighten, proceed the same as you would for LATCH. If it's a lap-shoulder belt, open the lock-offs, thread the belt through and buckle. Pull up on the shoulder portion of the belt to tighten the lap portion (the lap portion is what holds the seat tight). Once it's almost tight enough, close the lock-offs, which may take the last bit of slack out of the lap portion. Check for tightness, repeat if necessary.

I hope this helps a little. If you have more specific issues, please let us know so we can try to help you. :)

Thanks for the Help,
I have tried every possible thing and it still wont get tight, every other car seat we have had you couldnt move at all and this one is horrible, :(
the seat belt does have the locking thing, but it still doesnt help, i dont get it, i am going to try and call 1800diapers where i got it and see if i can return it even though the box is gone.

Pixels

You're using a lap-shoulder belt? Here's what I do when it's being difficult to tighten for me. Open lockoffs, feed belt through, and buckle. Do not lock your seatbelt. Purposely pull a handful of slack into the lap belt and close the lockoff on the buckle side to hold it there. Push down on the non-buckle side of the seat, pull all of the slack in the lap belt up into a bubble between the lockoffs. Put shoulder belt through lockoff and close lockoff.

Open the buckle side lockoff. Pull the slack up into the shoulder belt. Push down on the buckle side of the seat while pulling up hard on the shoulder belt just above the buckle. Close lockoff. Now the lap belt should be tight and the seat should move less than an inch. Go back and forth between the two sides more if necessary to tweak the install. Once you get a tight enough install, you need to get the bubble out of the shoulder belt between the lockoffs. Open the non-buckle lockoff, pull the slack out, and reclose the lockoff.

Do you have LATCH in that vehicle? You could try LATCH, it might be easier than the seatbelt for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC