What would you do? two part question?

momto2princes

Part one:

My DS is happily rear facing in his Radian XT. He will be 4 in April and fully clothed in the middle of the day weighs just hovering around 32lbs and has been for quite a while. He is getting taller by the day though at 40.5" Our XT goes to 35lbs RF as we are in Canada and it was bought before the weight change.

I am trying to decide what to do. I had originally planned to turn him FF when he hit around 34lbs or so because I am sure that that won't be until after his birthday but with the seats going to 40lbs and even 45lbs now I am not so sure what is the best thing to do. He is happy rear facing probably because he knows no difference but is there any added benefit to staying that way after 4 years old? With a 40-45lbs seat he could probably stay RF until he went into a HBB in Grade 1 (that is the rule in my house over 6/Grade 1 and over 42lbs) as long as he still fit height wise.

Part two:

When I do turn him FF would you stay in the Radian XT or should I move him into his brothers Frontier that he is no longer using since he moved in the Oobr?

Thanks for your help.

ADS

BabyKaykes

At 4yo I'd be comfortable to let him go FF. Ask him. After his bithday ask him if he wants to ride FF. Take him for a short ride, maybe even let him have the Frontier. Chances are, if he knows he'll get a new seat, he'll take FF with no complaints. But if he's not big on change, he may ask for his old seat back. But I'd be ok letting him choose.

My DS is nearly 4.5yo and still asks to "ride backwards" all the time. The only reason he doesn't now is because I can't lift him into the van in a RF seat and he can't climb in himself.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I wouldn't buy a seat to RF a child over 4 (or even very close to 4, honestly) unless they were asking to return to/remain RF. Talk to him about how he wants to ride, offer both options and let that be that (if you can easily afford a new seat to RF longer, of course. If not, don't even make it an option.)

babyherder

You've still got a few more pounds. I would wait and see what happens. I wouldn't be running out to buy a new seat quite yet (if at all).

christineka

I'd just let him max out the seat as long as he's happy, then turn ffing in whichever seat is the best fit for him and your vehicle.

AtTheSouthDam

I have been debating the same question recently with the added blip of the fact that my seats go to 40#. DO I turn her, let her decide or aim for RF until booster age. Right now I am leaning towards letting ehr decide. However, if our seats only went to 35# I would probably turn her a four and not worry about it (I start worrying about he weught when my children are within 4# or so, especially as they get older as my first chilf put on weight and height like mad!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC