I created a monster!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
This weekend DD rode FF for a 3.5 hour trip out of town. She loved how easy it was to see the DVD player and the TF has a nice recline when installed in our vehicle, so she was comfy and because the TF is roomy she had room to cross her legs so no numb legs. But, boy was she LOUD! I didn't realize how much RF muffled the complaining. :D

I can't hear my movie, turn it louder!
I'm hungry!
Fix this toy for me!

Once we got to our destination, my parents were riding with us out to the wedding reception and I had to uninstall her seat to get the 3rd row up (vehicle seat has to be reclined to install TF FF, vehicle seat must NOT be reclined to get 3rd row up. GRRRR). So, I put the TF back in RF as 3rd row folks lose leg room with the 2nd row seat reclined.

First thing she says: Hey! Now, I can't see my movie! Can you turn my seat the other way?
Me: No time to watch a movie anyway. We'll flip your seat back the other way for the long trip home.

Fine, that worked, everything is good. We head home the next day and I didn't flip her seat back. She fell asleep 5 minutes after being on the highway and slept the entire way home so it all worked out.

This morning, we're leaving for work and she specifically brought a movie to the vehicle, got in her seat, asked me to put the movie in for her, and then loudly exclaimed, "HEY! You said you would flip my seat back and you FORGOT!" :ROTFLMAO: Yes, I have created a monster. *sigh* She ended up watching her movie with a crooked neck and angled eyes from her RF seat, lucky it was only for less than 10 minutes, that's got give her some serious eye strain!

ADS

vonfirmath

Yes, I am tempted to turn my son and try a DVD for a 2 hour drive we have coming up. But I won't partly because, knowing how much he asks for the TV at home, if I once do it and he realizes it is an option, he'll want it for EVERY trip and I don't want the crying boy I fear he will become when right now he is a fairly good car passenger.

skitle1802

Can you install the DVD player on the headrest the RF car seat is installed on or is it a built-in DVD player?

But, boy was she LOUD! I didn't realize how much RF muffled the complaining. :D
:ROTFLMAO:
When DD's were little, DH used to joke about me wanting to keep them RF 'til Kindy (which at the time couldn't have happened b/c they had 2002 model RA's with the 30 lb. RF limit). Then we had our first long road trip when they were about 20 mos. old (both girls RF in a rented Windstar) and DD2, who was seated behind the driver, started wailing when we were about 20 minutes from our destination (who knows why, she stopped the moment we pulled up to DH's aunt's house).
So of course, I had to ask DH if he was glad that DD2 was RF and directing her solo away from his ears instead of right at him;)

Kat_Momof3

get her a mirror so she can watch it that way? even for an older rfing kid, or maybe especially for one, I'd be inclined to do it...

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
get her a mirror so she can watch it that way? even for an older rfing kid, or maybe especially for one, I'd be inclined to do it...
Oh good idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that! I had been looking for a portable one that I could attach to the rear centre seat (so as not to be rebound risk in front of her face) but it's such a pain as then we have to set it up each time and remove it at the destination, which just adds more time to our time constrained travels in the morning. I used to let her watch on my iPod Touch but she likes the bigger screen now! :ROTFLMAO: And she also likes listening to the movie over the vehicle's surround sound system. :p

Most of the mirrors I've found distort everything, but if I can find a good one, I will so try it! If anyone has a mirror recommendation, let me know.

soygurl

I believe fisher price mirrors sometimes attach to a tether anchor, so I usually recomend those, but I don't know how much they do/don't distore things...

Kat_Momof3

personally, I think they should have ones built into the ceiling that you can pull down (and that angle like side mirrors, so you can adjust them with a button or two from the front seat) for just such a purpose... well, that and so parents who want to can keep an eye on rearfacing kids.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That's too funny about her grabbing a video on her way out to the car.

I wonder how the Baby in Sight mirror would work? It's soft and a rectangle, so while it might distort things a little on the edge, I would think the center would be pretty clear? Even if it's slightly blurred she might not care about that?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I believe fisher price mirrors sometimes attach to a tether anchor, so I usually recomend those, but I don't know how much they do/don't distore things...
Thanks. I'll go shopping this week and look for them.

That's too funny about her grabbing a video on her way out to the car.
And today she forgot to take a movie with her and after we back out of the garage and were going down the street, "Oh no! Where's my movie? I forgot my movie!" We had Howl's Moving Castle still in the vehicle from the weekend luckily, so we popped that in and she watched all crooked eyed and tilted neck again!

I wonder how the Baby in Sight mirror would work? It's soft and a rectangle, so while it might distort things a little on the edge, I would think the center would be pretty clear? Even if it's slightly blurred she might not care about that?
I just saw that on TRU/BRU web site so I will likely pick one up this week and try it out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC