Has anyone installed a Sunshine Kids Radian in these vehicles?

U

Unregistered

Right now we have a 2004 Trailblazer(not extended) but our lease will be up in a few months. We are looking to get either a Chevy Avalanche or a crew cab Chevy Silverado as our next vehicle.

I'm wondering if anyone has installed the Radian in either of these 2 vehicles and also the Trailblazer and how was the fit? (2 Evenflo Triumphs will also be installed in these vehicles at the same time)

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Tracy
Mom to a 3.5yr old and 21month old twins

ADS

skipspin

The Radian does install very well with LATCH in the Crew Cab Silverado. My DH's 05 has LATCH in the center and behind the passenger seat. I'm actually going to be installing the Radian in there in the next few days for a trip, so I can try with the seatbelt when I have it out there.

I think that the Avalanche is pretty similar. LATCH is a pretty sure thing in all but very few vehicles, and while I don't anticipate any seatbelt problems in the Silverado I'll definately give it a try for you.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Play with the Avalanche first. We had one for our class and it was a BEAR to install seats in. Unless they've moved them you need to pull the seat bottom up to get to the tether, attach that, then put the seat bottom down, install the seat, and tighten the tether. LATCH is outboard and middle in that one, seatbelt for the third (don't know if there's a third tether anchor).

It was so awful watching someone install a seat there (I never did it, just watched her for a half hour fight with a Scenera and the tether) that when asked what I would use for a 4 year old 41 pounder in that vehicle I used a high back booster. Actually, my recommendation was to get grandma to come in a different car, but if that one must be used to use a high back booster.

So no real knowledge about the Radian in that one, just what a bear it was in general. Play with that one and read the manual on child seat installations before you buy.

Wendy

skipspin

Wendy, it sounds like the seats/tether in the Avalanche are the same as in the Crew Cab Silverados, and they aren't that bad once you get used to it. The first time I had to flip the seat up and spent 10 minutes getting the tether on. But, I was used to the dumb loop style tethers in the Ext cab, so it really wasn't worse I guess.

Anyway, now I can hook the tether by just sticking my hand back there since I know how they work. It took a few tries the first few times, but now I am pretty good at it.

Oh, and our 05 has three tethers, but two sets of lower anchors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC