Any chance the Monterey will fit my kids?

twinsmom

I want to get boosters to start training in DH's car. I've read here that the Monterey does not fit 'small' riders well. Are my kids considered small by this standard (stats in my siggy)? They are tall and thin (and will turn 5yrs old in May). Thanks!

ADS

BabyKaykes

Looking back on previous threads, it seems that of kids on the smaller side, boys generally fit better than girls because, no matter the size, they have slightly wider shoulders. Is there somewhere you can try out the seat?

My DS is the same age but smaller and lighter than your kiddos, and fits terribly in it.

mommaon112903

They are about Josef's size and you can see in my siggy how the Monterey fits him. Josef is broader thru the shoulders, so I am guessing that is why we do not have the problems with the shoulder belt that some do have.

twinsmom

DS definitely has broader shoulders than DD. She is really a beanpole!:p I haven't seen any in stores around here to try. I could order from a place where I can return them I guess, but I have a feeling they won't fit well. I really wanted a booster with LATCH!:(

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

If you try them let us know how they fit. ;)

My DD will be 5 beginning of July. She is 41" and 36 lbs now. Just a smidgen smaller than your kiddos.

mum2two

I had a thread about a month ago, my DD is skinny, about 47" tall and 43lbs and narrow, the lap belt fit great but not the shoulder belt. I ended up taking it back. She's 6 1/2.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
honestly, for that size and age, a basic turbo is gonna be the best bet for booster training. Then the TB's will be great secondary backup/portable boosters, and you can get nicer, latchable boosters for the main vehicle once the MT's are outgrown.

firemomof3

I agree that the Monterey will probably not be a good fit for your kids. From my experience I would look at the Turbo, Oobr and Vivo :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Have you seen the crash tests where the LATCHed boosters have higher head excursion than the unLATCHed ones? Not that that would stop me from buying a Cybex, lol, but it wouldn't be my number one thing. The Parkway fits smaller riders well, the secure guard clip will hold the belt low now, but is optional later, and it's light to transfer to other cars for carpooling or whatever. The Vivo's nice, too, but I'd wait for the fresh ones to hit the shelves, and it's not as easy for littles to buckle themselves (and the belt guide is on the side, it's not quite as good a fit on the shoulder as the Parkway in many cars).

Yoshi

I agree that the Monterey will probably not be a good fit for your kids. From my experience I would look at the Turbo, Oobr and Vivo :)

:yeahthat:

Another vote against the Monterey- I've seen your kids IRL, and I think the Monterey is not the right fit. Of course you can try it out (Target.com and return to Target) but honestly, my daughter at age 5 was 45 lbs and 46" and too slight for it. :twocents: You would LOVE the Vivo for them, especially the belt fit and how it sort of "contains them" completely.

arly1983

I love the turbo, and vivo esp, for my beanpole. His shoulders are on the narrow side and I found the PWSG a little wide compared to the turbo, vivo, and PW. I can imagine the monterey would have been much worse.

twinsmom

The Vivo's nice, too, but I'd wait for the fresh ones to hit the shelves, and it's not as easy for littles to buckle themselves (and the belt guide is on the side, it's not quite as good a fit on the shoulder as the Parkway in many cars).

When are the new Vivos supposed to be available? Are they any different than the old ones, or just newer?

Jennifer mom to my 7

THis is my large 7 year old in the monterey, widest setting, second from top space?
VID00164.jpg

And this is my 43 inche, 46 pound 4+ year old, in the house. and she is a bit wide shouldered. If you want, today or tomorrow I could actually strap her in the car.
VID00165.jpg

and in the parkway at 4
IMG_8266_6.jpg

twinsmom

Jennifer: Thanks so much for the pics!:) If you are able to take a pic of your 4yr old in the car in the Monterey that would be wonderful!

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay, took the video, but need to download (yes, please excuse my recent pics, since it is snapshots taken off my flip:eek:) It actually does seem to fit her pretty good, but like I said, she is a bit broad shouldered. I think I took the video at the 3rd and 4th position.

Hopefully tonight, I will get to it:whistle:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Okay. Like I said, she is a bit broad shouldered. So, it seems to actually be a decent fit on her, although she doesn't fill out the seat. She also has close to an 18 inch torso (just about out of the nautilus harness).

4th from bottom height
VID00174.jpg

3rd from bottom height
VID00175.jpg

VID00176.jpg

and in the nautilus and regent for shoulder comparison on her 4rth bday
IMG_8261_2.jpg

IMG_8265_5.jpg

twinsmom

Thanks a lot Jennifer! I really appreciate it! :) I'm not an expert, but the Monterey looks like a good fit for her. Am I wrong? I wouldn't describe my DD as broad shouldered though like you say your DD is. DS maybe. But my kids fit in their Regents about the same as your DD looks so they might be similarly sized. I think I'll try to find a Monterey locally to try it, as well as the Vivo and Parkway.

BTW, is your DD's pink tie-dye dress from Lands' End? My DD has the same one!:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC