RFing child who gets carsick?

ADS

Lea_Ontario

Keep towels in the car, and order an extra cover for the seat to use when the first is being washed.

Keep the window open a crack for fresh air, heat intensifies the pukey feeling.

Do not travel on an empty stomach.

Try to travel at nap time as much as possible.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I find eating and/or drinking on an empty stomach in the vehicle also intensifies the puking. Make sure baby isn't too hot, the cool air helps.

As for more upright, i'm not sure if it would help. My ds sat in the bottom of the shopping cart riding backwards reading a book and got sick just from that. He wasn't in there long and we were hardly moving!

I keep paper towel (or kleenex) in the vehicle along with a ice cream pail (I know it is a projectile, put so is puke!). Wet wipes also come in handy to wipe down baby, and you afterwards. Having a extra seat cover is a great idea, and even extra straps if it is a bad episode :)

Now that I know for sure he gets car sick, I wonder if that is why he hated the car so much as a baby and when he was RF!?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
If kiddo is getting sick RF, chances are it'll happen FF -- under no circumstances does this make turning FF safer under the minimum requirements (I know you know that; I'm just venting :rolleyes:) I'd totally trust Kashi on this since I know she's dealt with this so much! :eek:

hapaness

Thats exactly the reason I turned my dd ff'ing when she was 3 (only 28lbs though). It started when she was about 6 months old and gradually got worse and worse. It got to the point where she would puke during EVERY car ride..thats when I finally turned her around, and yes, it helped a great deal. My dd is now almost 6 and only gets sick on really long rides 2+ hours.
In your friends case I probably would do what Kashi suggested...I did do the towel thing for a while but its easier with an older child because they know how to hold it up to catch the vomit.
Unfortunately its probably something she'll have to get used to for a while, and like Kashi said...try to do a majority of the the traveling during nap times.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Thanks!

what makes her think she is getting car sick? is she vomiting a lot? is it only in the car?

Yeah, she said if they're in the care for more than 10mins, she pukes. It's just in the car.

My ds sat in the bottom of the shopping cart riding backwards reading a book and got sick just from that.

I get sick if I read in the car. I hate it. :)

Ahzryn

Some kids are just pukey unfortunately. My youngest was a puker, and being ff only made the problem WORSE. Nothing helped until she grew out of it, and that has generally been the experience of almost everyone else I have ever heard from. For a very small handful of people turning helped, but their kids were much older, and chances are good it was probably chance that turing them coincided with them finally outgrowing it.

In the mean time you just kinda have to cope. Always have a spare carseat cover and straps, towels, paper towels, plastic grocery bags are great for sealing up the stinky trash, wet wipes, and a ton of patience. Limit long drive to night time, and day drives to nap time. Keep fresh air flowing at all times.

I also found my daughter puked less in the center of the car no matter which way she was facing. Looking out side windows aggravates the problem. Window tint is a must, bright sunlight also makes it worse. NO books, DVD watching, or moving toys....focusing on something in the car is going to make it worse. Better bored than puking.

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC