I called The First Years about the TFP infant insert weight limit

essnce629

I got my retro geo TFP (man. date 11/24/09) a few days ago and was wondering about the infant insert after reading on here that it supposedly had a 22lb limit. No where in my entire manual or on the insert or seat does it say anything about a maximum weight limit. It just says not to use when ff'ing and that it must be used till baby is even with the bottom slots. DS is only 18lbs right now at 9 months so it's not really an issue but he seems more comfortable with it in and I wanted to clear up the max weight limit question.

When I called I was told that there is NO max weight limit and that the infant insert can be used at any weight as long as baby is rf'ing. He just said that they changed the wording in the manual to make it easier for parents. He said it's never been a safety issue, now nor in the earlier TF that has the 22lb warning. He did say that a lot of parents had called saying their kids were "squished" in the seat or that the "straps were too short" and that he's had to tell them to take out the infant insert. He just said that most babies by the time they are 22lbs don't "need" the insert any more and that it's the parents choice to decide whether to use it or not.

I hope this clears up the question. The infant insert has 3 slot holes in it (same number of rf'ing slot positions in the seat) so it didn't make sense that it couldn't be used with a taller baby that would most likely be over 22lbs. I will continue to use the infant insert till DS2 doesn't seem to need it any more. I did take off the head insert, strap covers, and belly pad though since the strap covers seem a little long and stiff and the belly pad kept falling off every single time I put DS in or out of the seat. I like the Britax belly pad better as that one doesn't seem to fall off as much.

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

When I called them about the infant insert on the TFP (back when we got ours this past summer and I couldn't find anything in the manual about it), I was told it was 22 lbs weight limit for the infant insert, but could be used for any of the 3 RF'ing settings and only in RF'ing mode. :confused:

Here is the thread and who I spoke with about it http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=91327&highlight=True+Fit+Insert

We took ours out when he hit the bottom slots on the TFP - it was a PITA to keep adjusting every time we put him in there (it would slide around). I also personally felt the harness fit him better without it in there (same reason I pulled off the strap covers and belly pad that wouldn't stay on).

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've always interpreted the manual as rear facing only, and necessary to the bottom slots, but otherwise no limits.

I took it out as soon as Laine was at the bottom slots without it. Which was not very long after her birth. It made the crotch strap too short and it was helping the belt twist. I kept the headrest in for a bit longer, but then I took that out as well. She's six months on Tuesday and probably 13.5 pounds at most.

Wendy

TiaxMarie

So can the infant insert be used with no max on just the TFP or any TF? We have 2 older TF's and DD is more comfy with the padding, but is over the 22lbs.

Joyofbirth

Thanks so much. My little dd loves the infant insert. She is only 19 pounds so it doesn't matter. BUt right now I have to either not use the insert or use the headrest. The insert makes her too tall. But when she is too and has to have the headrest anyway, I was thinking of using the insert again. She fits okay without it, but really seems more comfy with it. Thanks again!

irishgirl

My True Fit manual ( not the premiere) Says

"DO NOT use this height insert for infants/children above 22lbs(10kg) or in a forward facing position.

We have a slightly older manual that doesn't have that part in, but the newer manual states it

jeminijad

AHHHHH I have to go look at my manual... the seat is much more comfortable w/the padding in it, and DD is just now 22lbs...

InternationalMama

What I've gathered from different people calling Learning Curve CS over time and the threads I've read about it here is that the TF and TFP used to both state that the infant insert had to come out at 22 lbs and the customer service reps would reiterate that. But now the new TFPs (the new patterns beyond Aurora and Cranberry) do not have a weight limit in the manual anymore and when you call customer service they will tell you there isn't one.

I don't think they officially made anything retroactive about not having a weight limit in the other models, but like Wendy said I think it was related to not using the insert when the child was FF and that RF it would be fine to use it at any weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC