Decisions, decisions... need booster help

Mama2Aidan

I have a slim 7 yr old, 45 lbs and 45". Currently in a Marathon in one vehicle and Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 booster in the other (don't like the Eddie Bauer at all and will eventually replace that one too). Needs a big boy seat. Having trouble narrowing our choices... Seat will be in a GMC Acadia, bucket seat.

Britax - love our Marathons, is SG a nuisance for 7 YO?
Maxi Cosi - nice adjustments and reclines.
Strada - looks great, but so new there aren't any reviews.
Oobr - Very cool, but pricey. Like the latch.

Appreciate any feedback ... if you've tried these, heard good or bad things, etc. Thanks for the help!

ADS

Kat_Momof3

the SG - haven't tried it... but the SG is now optional... so you don't have to use it for a 7yr old... but it's great for smaller booster riders... so you can use it if you want to...

Maxi Cosi - like all dorel boosters, this one is outgrown like a backless booster... when the tops of the ears are level with the top of the vehicle seat/vehicle headrest at highest position... even with using the booster with the back on. Unless you have super flat, tall vehicle seats and/or vehicle headrests, I'd skip this one

Strada - belt guides are great for seatbelts that come from the vehicle seat instead of from the vehicle wall above the seat (if that makes sense)... otherwise, for the features it offers, it's pricey... and we're not sure how tall it goes.

Oobr - definitely an awesome seat that fits slim kids well.... pricey, but if you have the money for it, heck, I'd splurge if I could

And then here's another one to look at

Recaro Vivo - also great for slim booster riders, deep sides, great support, and the armrests, while they make buckling a TINY bit harder, also ensure a great lapbelt fit... My own daughter uses this as her main seat. My 8yr old envies her as he LOVES how soft the cover is (he is in a sunshine kids monterey as he is NOT slim and rail thin and needs the width and depth of the Monterey)

And someone around here has pics of their slim daughter in the vivo and the oobr... maybe also in the parkway sg, but no promises there.

Mama2Aidan

Thank you, I hadn't even considered Recaro. I have lust for the Oobr so everything else pales in comparison, but I need to be practical too.

I also didn't know the SG is now optional, I thought Britax said it wasn't an option? We've had such good luck with Britax in the past.

Wish there was somewhere I could actually try the seats before buying. I guess I'll just have to order and return if they aren't a good fit.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
I have an Oobr. It is nice and fits my thin son well. It isn't all that though. I wish I had gone with the $80 Vivo. I should add that I have never found a booster that really makes me squeal. The Oobr did online, but not in person.

ETA: My son is 5 yrs 3 mos, 44", and 40 lbs.

Last edited:

ChristyH

My 6yr old DS is 42lbs and about 44" tall now, he fits amazingly well into the Vivo. We love it and so does he. He said he loves the headwings and how the seat feels. I always buckle him so I've never had to run across him having a hard time buckling.

Kat_Momof3

Britax changed the rule and made it retroactive... there are some threads about it when people first found out... it's very subtle in the manual... just never saying it's required and all... but when you call britax, they will tell you it is optional.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC