Cosco X90 travel system?

U

Unregistered

I bought this travel system when it was on sale for 119. I loved how light weight the car seat was and how you have to pull the back handle to lock the car seat into the base. Most car seats I find they just "click onto the base". The problem that have been irritating me the most is that when I first used it was on my four month old God son. I have adjusted the straps as big as they get and put it on the last inserting hole but he CANNOT fit!!! we cannot do the bottom buckle up. We even put change it to the front slot and he is no more than 12lbs (but he did have his snow suit on) even then so I don't want to be able to use this till my child is only 6months then have to purchase a new one. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue? And we made sure we had the buckle adjusted to it's max length.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Firstly--you absolutely cannot use a snow suit with a carseat. It's unsafe, as it gives you a false sense of security--thinking that the harness is significantly more tight than it really is. As for how long you'll be able to use the seat--6 months is about right, if not generous. That is the case with most infant seats with lower weight limits and shorter seat shell heights. So no matter what, you will be shopping for a new seat around the 6 month mark. In the meantime, take that snowsuit off and see how much room you have. If it's still tight, snap a photo of your child in the harness with your usual tightness and let us take a look.. (You can blur out the child's face if you're more comfortable doing so.)

-Nicole.

QuassEE

Another thing--are you saying you're already using the top harness slots? The harness needs to come out at or BELOW the child's shoulders, and be raising it up you're actually extending the distance the harness needs to travel. Please check on that.

-Nicole.

mommycat

Ditto all that. Unfortunately most infant seats just are not designed to last more than a few months, after which the baby will need a rearfacing convertible seat.

snowbird25ca

I'm confused about having to pull the handle in order to lock it in to the base. I've seen many of this style of seat and never encountered needing to pull the handle to get it to pop in to the base. It may just be that it's stiff to pop on and pulling the handle makes it easier, but it definitely should not be necessary to pull the handle to pop the seat on to the base - just make sure you push down firmly on both ends of the seat when you place it on the base.

Is the kiddo a tall kid? Average size kids will usually last the seat until around 7 to 9 months depending on where height is proportioned (and that they're still under the weight limit.)

The other thing I would check once you have the snowsuit off, is that the harness doesn't have any excess sitting under the bum. The harness on this seat attaches on the back on one side of the seat, comes out the front and goes through the chest clip and buckle, then routes under the bum, comes back up on the opposite side, then goes through the buckle and chest clip, then out through the back of the shell. So if one tail is seeming long and the other short, it could be that the harness has become lopsided and you have room to let it out further.

These seats frequently have the covers not line up quite right, so while you're checking things out, double check that the straps are going through the same hole in the cover and the hard plastic shell of the seat - so if you're using top slot in the cover, it should be coming out the top slots at the back of the seat - if the straps are in different holes between the cover and shell, that can also account for loss of harness length.

I apologize if I'm stating something you've already noticed, but since it's a common mistake I see, I just wanted to also mention that there is a little diagram on the piece of plastic between the metal pieces that the harness straps route through. When you re-thread the harness strap ends through the metal piece, make sure that you're following that diagram. If the straps aren't routed properly, the harness won't stay at a fixed length properly.

amyd

I'm confused about having to pull the handle in order to lock it in to the base. I've seen many of this style of seat and never encountered needing to pull the handle to get it to pop in to the base. It may just be that it's stiff to pop on and pulling the handle makes it easier, but it definitely should not be necessary to pull the handle to pop the seat on to the base - just make sure you push down firmly on both ends of the seat when you place it on the base.

I checked a brand new D22 yesterday & it also seemed as if you needed to pull the release handle to get the base to click into place. Finally, the Dad was able to push it hard enough to get it to click without lifting the handle, but that sucker was stiff, I'm assuming because it's new.

OP, as Trudy said, you shouldn't have to lift the handle, and as time goes on you probably won't need to, but if you do this, just pull up a bit on the seat to confirm that it's locked into the base and confirm that the release handle has snapped back into place after you put the seat in.

snowbird25ca

I checked a brand new D22 yesterday & it also seemed as if you needed to pull the release handle to get the base to click into place. Finally, the Dad was able to push it hard enough to get it to click without lifting the handle, but that sucker was stiff, I'm assuming because it's new.

OP, as Trudy said, you shouldn't have to lift the handle, and as time goes on you probably won't need to, but if you do this, just pull up a bit on the seat to confirm that it's locked into the base and confirm that the release handle has snapped back into place after you put the seat in.

I have noticed that the re-designed base is definitely stiffer to snap the base in to. I imagine it's due to the change in springs and hardware in the new seats/bases. (Both had changes.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC