If you could influence car manufacturers...

brooklynsmommy

What would you have them change to make them more car seat friendly? I know that it is talked about every so often about how manufacturers just aren't on the same page as car seat manufacturers. What would you ask for?

ADS

simplychels

3 sets of independent latch/uas in all vehicles

Airbag sensors that were are not effected by a car seat touching the backs of the front seats. Life would be so much easier if you didn't have to figure out which cars allow for that and which dont. After of course seeing your car seat allows for it

Maedze

I would require a top tether anchor in all rear seating positions.

I would also require at least two full sets of LATCH in each rear vehicle row, with all seating positions having full LATCH in vehicles of a certain width (i.e, minivans, large SUVs, etc).

I would require lower anchors to be centered with the vehicle seating position and not off-set.

I'd like lower anchor weight limit to be limitless, and reflected as such in the manual. (Seatbelts don't have a max weight on them, lower anchors should have similar capacity.)

Maedze

3 sets of independent latch/uas in all vehicles

Airbag sensors that were are not effected by a car seat touching the backs of the front seats. Life would be so much easier if you didn't have to figure out which cars allow for that and which dont. After of course seeing your car seat allows for it

Wouldn't work in smaller cars. Not enough physical room in, say, a Hyundai Accent, to get three separate sets of lower anchors with 11" between them plus enough of a gap to allow for child restraint space.

Wiggles

I'd beg for short belt stalks to be standard. I had to install a carseat in my mum's car over the summer, and my mum's beltstalks wouldn't twist at all and the belt stalks were right at *that* point in all but one position (where the seat, fortunately, went in like a dream).

I'd ask for there to be standard locations for REAR FACING tethering.

I'd ask for LATCH to be usable to 80 lbs in all vehicles.

I'd ask for there to be as much space between rows in vehicles as possible.

Switch-off-able airbags in all vehicles so that front seats could be used if necessary.

I'd also ask them (and this is slightly unrelated) to consider that smaller adults have to sit in their seats and to please look into somehow making seatbelts work for ALL adults.

simplychels

Wouldn't work in smaller cars. Not enough physical room in, say, a Hyundai Accent, to get three separate sets of lower anchors with 11" between them plus enough of a gap to allow for child restraint space.

Thanks, I actually knew that. I didn't realize this thread was for things that must be 100% possible. My answer was more "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if...."

TheQueenMother

I'd like to see better options for larger families. So many of the car manufactures advertise that the new ---- comfortably seats 8 however, a workable three across solution is not possible. The suburban does not work well for families with many in seats. Two seating positions are lap belt only. There is only one tether anchor in the back row and two anchors in the second row. I wish lap belt only belts could be outlawed and more TAs installed.

Maedze

Thanks, I actually knew that. I didn't realize this thread was for things that must be 100% possible. My answer was more "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if...."

If we're delving into the land of the physically impossible, I want my car to be able to fly. Like on the Jetsons. Kthnxbai!

Wiggles

Oooh, just thought of another.

I'd like to see a 15 passenger van that was JUST AS SAFE as a minivan. That passed the same crash ratings, etc. (PP reminded me of that desire with the discussion of better options for larger families)

Pixels

Top tether anchors in all rear seating positions.

Lower anchors color coded by seating position, to make it more obvious that maybe you're not doing something right if you're borrowing in a non-standard LATCH position or especially in vehicles with over lapping anchors like A.....B.A.....B

Pixels

If we're delving into the land of the physically impossible, I want my car to be able to fly. Like on the Jetsons. Kthnxbai!

Oh cripes no. Too many people can't handle driving with only two dimensions, let's not add a third.

Maedze

Top tether anchors in all rear seating positions.

Lower anchors color coded by seating position, to make it more obvious that maybe you're not doing something right if you're borrowing in a non-standard LATCH position or especially in vehicles with over lapping anchors like A.....B.A.....B

Ooooooo, cleveh, sisteh.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
While we're talking Jetsons/sci-fi, I want a reliable teleporter and then we could ditch all the danged cars and carseats and teleport everywhere. ;)

Tether anchors in all rear seating positions, a true standardization of LATCH limits across the board for vehicles and carseats so we don't have to play this constant matching up of carseat and vehicle manufacturer to whatever their particular weight limits are for LATCH installations, and no more skimping on vehicle headrests, especially in the center rear seating positions by vehicle manufacturers, are all high on my more practical wish list.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Full LATCH in all possible situations. Color coding would be cool too.

Rear-facing tether points in as many locations as possible.

Moveable rear seats. You know, like how we can move our front seats. That way front-to-back space wouldn't be as limited.

No more lap-only belts.

Easily accessible LATCH points. No more digging in some cars.

Videos included with vehicles demonstrating several generic carseat installations.

A ceiling mounted DVD player built in on a track with a pivoting screen so rear-facing occupants wouldn't only be left with sometimes unsafe aftermarket items mounted to headrests.

Industry standard LATCH weight limits that were real, ie 80-100lbs or limitless like seatbelts.

No more stupid dug-out seating positions and center humps.

Borrow-able LATCH. That way we could take away finding parents borrowing in the middle when the shouldn't.

msg221

As someone else mentioned, latch connectors that are easier to find. I constantly have to feel around for them in my vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC