Question When did you intall the infant seat

How early did you install your infant seat?

• At the hospital

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • 0-3 weeks before due date

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • 4-8 weeks before dd

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • 9+ weeks before dd

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • The first thing I did after I peed on the stick

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Charliee

I installed my DS1 seat 1 week before he was due, DD 1 month before her birth and now with 9 weeks to go I'm already itching to get that base in the car! Yikes!

ADS

miraclebabies

I do around 36 wks. I always want to be prepared and see what configuration I like best. I would do it now or whenever if you arnt needing that vehicle seat for anything and just to get the seat in. It's always fun to look back and see the infant seat that will be filled with a new baby soon.

armywife12

I think I had it installed at like 31 or 32 weeks...lol. I was way too excited about the baby and had bags packed and waiting by the door at that time too lol. I spent the last 10 weeks of pregnancy nesting. About once a week I would uninstall the infant seat to try and get it perfect. I didn't know much about car seats at all back then so I didn't think it should move from the front and was paranoid about that movement

Pixels

I know that by the time I was hospitalized with preterm contractions at 33w, I had bags partially packed and carseat installed. It was a good comfort that I had at least some of my "stuff" and that I didn't have to worry about the carseat in case she was actually born.

The only thing that I was slightly worried about (in terms of preparation, I was definitely worried about DD's health) was what if she was under 5 pounds? I hadn't seen any seats that went below 5 pounds. I figured that if she was that little, she probably wouldn't be released from the hospital, and if she was, then they should be able to point me in the right direction.

Both seats (my car and DH's) were uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly as we needed the back seat space for stuff, like bringing home the crib. In my car, I wanted the seat in the center but wasn't able to get an install I was happy with, so I put it outboard, but kept trying center.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
34 or 35 weeks. But I was scared she was coming at 37 weeks, it was a TFP, not an infant seat and I knew I'd need to fight it in there the first time and play with a mountain of noodles, and I was getting big enough that I didn't want to have to do it later.

Wendy

Spam

I did it last weekend :eek: Just for fun and to see how it fits. I took it out after a couple of days. I'll probably get anxious and want it back in before I feel too huge to climb in and make sure it's perfect, so maybe around 34 weeks? With A I had it installed by 37 weeks.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
At the hospital... we seem to always bring different cars for that drive home, like, grandma drives my van and dh brings his, once we borrowed a friend's car, I don't know what seat I'll want to use, DH doesn't follow instructions and brings the wrong seat <eyeroll>....
I don't think a month or two before the due date is a bad idea :)

Ali

DD was due in mid February. We bought the seat in October and tested it out in both cars. Then I had DH install the seat and put my bags in the car around Christmas time. DD came at the end of January.

I felt better being as prepared as possible.

Twinklefae

I knew nothing about car seats at the time, and we tried to install it the weekend before I went into labour (at 41 weeks :eek: ) We got into a huge fight, because we couldn't figure it out. I wish I knew then what I know now...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I usually do it at 34 or 35 weeks. Sometimes 36 but by then it starts to get pretty uncomfortable. I for sure want it in before I go full term though. (And I didn't use an infant seat last time, it was a Radian, in a tight 3 across.) I don't plan on any infant seats in the future so I just answered for the convertible I intend to use to bring baby home. ;)

essnce629

I think around 35 weeks probably. I like to have everything done by 36 weeks since I had both kids during my 38th week. With DS2 I was also having non-stop 3-15 minute apart contractions from 26 weeks onwards so I knew I'd never make it to my due date. I recommend that my doula clients have everything done by the 38 week mark.

christineka

I install a week after the due date because my babies have never come earlier than 42 weeks. I picked 0-3 weeks before due date, though.

Athena

With my first baby I was anxious to have it in early, especially because I knew I wanted to have a tech help us with it to make sure we did it right. I wanted it in 6 weeks early, but I think it ended up being more like 4. I was so glad we had it in when DD decided to arrive early.

libranbutterfly

I installed Kamille's the day I went in to the hospital. Lexi's 2 months early (but I was using the base for my SIL's baby). I have been practicing installs in both vehicles for 6 months now, and I am not PG. :eek:

stephcali

Well I'm 35 weeks tomorrow and we don't have it installed yet :) But we had loaned it out to a friend (that we trust completely) and my DH just needs to pick it up from them now. I'm anxious to get it in there so I can play with the different configurations to try and fit 3 across in the 2nd row of our Odyssey. But it probably won't permanently be installed until just before 38 weeks (which I guess is in less than 3 weeks, yikes!) since I'm have a c-section at 39 weeks.

I think with DD1 we put it in at 36 or 37 weeks and DD2 was about 38 weeks.

Qarin

Well, I put "at the hospital", but actually with both kids it was 3 weeks before their due date... after they were born. DD1, I bought her seat when she was 18 days old and coming home from the hospital that day (she was born at 34w2d); with DD2, I don't actually remember when I installed the seat- she was born at 37w0d at home, and I think the friend from whom we were getting the infant seat (not expired, known history, trust-them-with-my-children's lives) hurried it over the day she was born, and I probably installed it that day or the next, before taking her for her pediatrician visit at 1 or 2 (maybe 3 or 4, it's all a blur) days old. But I think both of those qualify for the spirit of "at the hospital". :)

amylynne01

With our first, he installed it as I was getting my things together to go to the hospital. I was being induced, so we were in no rush. He had practiced installing it previously, but we didn't leave it in the car.

With our second, we installed it on her due date, which was 1 week before she was born.

AtTheSouthDam

With DD1 it was at the hospital. I didn't realize when they told me to come I would be having the baby. I wasn't in labor :eek:
DD1 was right before leaving for the hospital. At least this time I knew I was being induced. FWIW, it don't get very big pregnant so manuvering with a belly isn't an issue for me (with DD1 I went in wearing pre-preg clothing; knit pants and teeshirt, and the security guard asked if the baby had arrived yet when I told him I was heading the L&D)

babygirlsmom1005

One of the first things I did after I was let off of bedrest was install the infant seat. So it was after 37 weeks. I also wanted my DD to get use to the idea of there being another seat in there, she used it for her dollies before Marshall arrived.

oxeye

I need mutiple options. ;)

With DD1 I did around 34 weeks I think.

I did it in the hospital parking lot with DD2 and DS. DD2 came sooner than we expected and I was on bedrest for the last 9 weeks with DS so I purposely did not put his seat in (it was a Key Fit so I was not worried!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC