is it me? I hate LATCH

pj2rc

I want to use LATCH, I really do .... but I can never get the stap to tighen. I try the LATCH every time, but always end up using the seatbelt. I know in the end the only thing that matters is if it's installed tight, but I thought the point of LATCH was to make it better and easier to get a good install. If people who don't know any better are just using the LATCH, then I'm thinking a lot aren't getting good installs. I really wish I could use LATCH on the RF, because the seatbelt tightens and causes the seat to tilt. Does anone else run into this?

ADS

pj2rc

Cars: Silverado, Blazer, Equinox & Sienna. Seats: Graco Snugride (the base), Evenflo Titan, Evenflo Maestro, Dorel Commuter/Ventura ... seems to be a prety universal problem considering the variety of vehicles and seats

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Sounds like a problem with how you are pulling. Pull toward the car seat, not away. So, for the snugride, pull from inside the belt path.

mommycat

If you are pulling on the strap only on the side of the seat, then it gives a very crappy angle for tightening. Try peeling back the cover and pulling the strap up from inside of the seat where possible (and through the hole in the base for the SnugRide), and through the belt path if it is a closed belt path. This often gives a much better angle for pulling. If you are already doing this, then maybe you just have a very unfortunate batch of seat types? I find some are easier than others. And yeah, some seats I prefer a seatbelt install on (and others, not).

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I think it sounds bad/rude to say it this way, but i can't think of how else to say it...but yep, I think it's gotta be you. (Sorry, no offense, you started the thread) :sorry!:
Yes, there are "tricks" to getting the latch strap tight, basically what has already been said about making sure to pull the strap back *at the correct angle* to get it to tighten, which usually means back through the beltpath. But usually, using Latch is pretty easy. There are a couple vehicles and a couple seats where that isn't the case, and some specific instances where Latch is not the best choice (like getting a tight 3-across, for example) but in general, Latch works well most of the time.

I will say that I noticed you mentioend the titan, and i have a titan, and do find the Latch on that seat to be a little bit harder to adjust...like the latch strap itself is a bit stiff, or else the adjuster is just really difficult, but it does not tighten as easily as my other ones. but, I can install my seats using LATCH in about a minute each. I only have regular access to 3 vehicles with latch, a kia sedan, dodge caravan and a ford focus, and only have a few seats we use regularly (AOE, vision, nauti, titan) but they install pretty easily.

Can you pinpoint WHY the latch doesn't work as well for you? Is it possible it has somethign to do with the direction/angle that you are pulling on it, as has been described by other posters? could it be a particular adjuster that is "stiff", like my titan? Is it possible the latch strap is simply not routed correctly, and you are not getting a tight install because it's threaded through the wrong place or something? i know it can be confusing how to re-route the latch straps on some seats. Heck, I've been a tech for almost 3 years, and it has recently come to my attentiona that, 3 years ago, I *probably* routed the straps/belt on my sisters EFTA wrong when I installed it for her. :doh:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's not you, they did studies when LATCH first came out, and dual LATCH connectors, like Britax has on the Marathon, were universally far preferred by all the tester parents. But a cheesy little lapbelt-thing with hooks on the end is cheaper, so we all have to struggle with it and learn all these tips and tricks that we shouldn't have to learn (but which everyone gave you, and actually should work fine, I think you'll like LATCH after you try some of those tips, I really do) :)

steph_s

I prefer seat belt installs over latch. That said, I'm more use to seat belt installs because I frequently have to do 3 across and the only way to really get the most use out of the space is to use the seat belts.

Pixels

You can use a locking clip instead of locking the seatbelt at the retractor to prevent the tip on a RFing seat.

Generally, I find LATCH to be easier and/or tighter. With some seats, or some vehicles, or even some specific seat+vehicle combos, the seatbelt is easier. In general, for me, LATCH is easier though.

Of course, I usually end up doing a center install which means seatbelt anyway.

DahliaRW

Usually I find LATCH easier, even in my Sienna (which has superly awesome accessible anchors, my outback I had to cram my hand in the seat bight to find them and it was awful!)

BellesMom

I much prefer LATCH. Well, until I have to take the Evenflo Triumph out of the car and have to unhook those connectors. That's no fun. But on the Britax, it's a dream.

BellesMom

If you are pulling on the strap only on the side of the seat, then it gives a very crappy angle for tightening. Try peeling back the cover and pulling the strap up from inside of the seat where possible (and through the hole in the base for the SnugRide), and through the belt path if it is a closed belt path. This often gives a much better angle for pulling. If you are already doing this, then maybe you just have a very unfortunate batch of seat types? I find some are easier than others. And yeah, some seats I prefer a seatbelt install on (and others, not).

I never knew this about the Snugride. Wow - should make a difference using the seat this third (and final!) time around. We actually used to use the seat belt with the Snugride base because I was always able to move the it, even after my husband had tightened it as much as he could.

Twinklefae

I also hate LATCH/UAS. I can use it, but the way I pull, I get better leverage on a lap/shoulder belt. I know the tips and tricks but find them physically uncomfortable to do, so prefer the seat belt when I can use it. (Sometimes LATCH gets it tighter.)

:twocents:

pj2rc

thanks everyone ... it does seem to be either one or both that it's a bad angle or tight strap/adjuster. not sure if it feels tight due to the bad angle. Therefore, I will try the recommendation of pulling back the seat cover and pulling back through the belt path and let you know if that helps. Thanks for the input!

What kind of seat? I have seats that I hate latch on and seats that I love it on.
I hate the latch on my evenflo triumph advance.. I always install that one with seat belt. Same with sceneras, I hate latch with those.

I Love latch with other seats like Marathon, and True fit (depending on the car cause I also can get a good install with seatbelt on that seat)
Also I get a better install with latch with my myride 65.

I think different cars and seats make a difference, I also used to pull wrong I guess, cause I used to never be able to install with latch either, it would just wiggle around, and I would pull and pull and nothing. I learned that you have to really pull with the flow of the strap never away. (move that cover out of the way and get in there and pull along the path.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC