What could fit next to a rear facing True Fit? Anything?

staryla

Hi all,

I drive an '04 CRV and currently have a rear facing True Fit Premier in the middle seat, seat belt install. I'm expecting bambino number 2 in about 8 months.

(This time I'm starting the car seat search early! I was CLUELESS with my first child and spent tons of time reading up on baby-wearing and absolutely zero time researching car seats. This resulted in the crappiest of crap EvenFlo baby bucket with rear-adjust:thumbsdown:. I found this forum when my son was about 4 months old:thumbsup:. Came to my senses, and kicked that Evenflo to the curb!)

I'd really like to fit the new baby's car seat and my son's car seat next to each other so we'd be able to squeeze an adult in the back. But the True Fit is so wide! Has anyone fit a baby bucket seat next to a rear-facing TFP?

ADS

jess71903

Ambassador
If you babywear, I'd get a Radian. You can use either with the newbie, but I really love the TF without the headrest for a new one. That's what we have- TF for baby, Radian for toddler, side-by-side.

staryla

Wow! By the time we got our TFP our son needed the extra headrest. I totally forgot it was even an option to take it off! That is tempting...I almost bought a Radian instead of the TFP.
I'll talk that over with hubbie, but I think we really do want the baby bucket. Even though I'm in love with the idea of baby-wearing (and own enough wraps,mei teis, etc. to prove it). In reality, it didn't work well for us.
Now I have even more options to consider. ahhhh.:p

Niea

Wow! By the time we got our TFP our son needed the extra headrest. I totally forgot it was even an option to take it off! That is tempting...I almost bought a Radian instead of the TFP.
I'll talk that over with hubbie, but I think we really do want the baby bucket. Even though I'm in love with the idea of baby-wearing (and own enough wraps,mei teis, etc. to prove it). In reality, it didn't work well for us.
Now I have even more options to consider. ahhhh.:p

I've got a CR-V too ('07, though, so a different body style) and a TF. I don't know how the seat/seatbelt situation is in your version, but in mine the center lower anchors are off-center slightly to accomodate the 60/40 split. It's possible, but not likely, that you could fit a narrow infant seat next to it if you put it on the "wider" side. With the seatbelt install, you probably won't fit an infant seat next to it.

IF that works, the other side will be so narrow that no adult will want to sit there, if they even fit.

I know the '04 is a little different, but it's not SO different that I'm feeling hopeful you'll get 3 people in the back. As for my set up, DS is RFing in his TF on the driver's side and DD is in her Frontier on the passenger's side. In the center I put their jackets and toys. I probably could make it work if I had two Radians, but my setup works fine for us for the time being. If I had to have another adult ride in the back, or even had another child, Radians are my only hope of three back there.

Niea

I just wanted to add, but I'm a hardcore baby wearer but you couldn't pay me enough to give up the bucket. As long as you're not doing the "house to car to stroller to restaurant to stroller to car to house" thing, with baby in the bucket for like 8hrs, you're good ;) I wore my kids when I could, which was often, but there were times the bucket was downright essential (like when I had to renew my drivers licence when DS was 2 weeks old).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I've had a Radian next to my TFP in my Xterra. It was Radian middle and TFP behind the driver, but it worked. It took some effort, but it worked beautifully and we got another person back there.

I used the TFP from day one for my baby. I'm a babywearer and don't use a bucket. It's a great seat for a newborn. So's the Radian, but the TFP fits in a car better for a newborn.

The narrowest infant seat is the Baby Trend, which I find difficult to install. The Keyfit and Snugride 22 aren't terribly wide. I don't know what would fit in a CRV, though.

Wendy

emandbri

I had a radian next to a true fit too in the middle row of my siennia.

Add me to the list of babywearers who loved the infant seat. So handy to keep a baby asleep, use when going out to eat, easier to keep the baby warm, and I used the infant seat instead of babywearing when it snowed, I was scared I would slip on ice and hurt the baby.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I did... See below. :) In an 04 explorer and the drivers side second row still flipped forward to access the third row. :) That is an sr22.

Spam

I have a tfp center rfing in our 04 grandprix gtp and fit a babytrend on either side. As wendy said the bt is the narrowest. I didn't find it too difficult to install, I had problems with the handle sticking and I *think* the handle had to be down in the car. A little Pam fixed the sticking issue. I've also fit the craptastick evenflo bucket, the radian, cosco combo/booster, but haven't tried the kf30. Go to B'rus and play with them in your car :)

NannyMom

My Dad has a 2004 CRV, and my daughter has a RF True Fit in the center :) It sits off center, towards the passenger side, I'm sure yours does too. Do you have an adult that can sit next to the TF on the passenger's side? It a very small area, but a very small adult could fit. If so, you could easily fit another seat behind the driver. If not, I think I'd try out a Radian in the center and then you'd have more options for infant seats passenger side. You could keep the TF for when the infant seat is outgrown. The TF has a 7 year lifespan, and the Radian is 8 years. By the time the TF expires, DC1 could likely move to a booster, and DC2 still has the Radian.

staryla

Thanks for all the responses!

My husband definitely wants a baby bucket (and since he's the one that gets to stay home with kiddos, he has the deciding vote).

The back of the CRV does has the 60/40 split thing. I've currently ridden in the back on the *narrow* side (behind the passenger) with the TFP installed in the center. Its pretty uncomfortable, but doable. My 6'2 brother couldn't manage it, but myself, my husband, and most of his family can fit there.

Today I took the Scenera from our other car and it seems like it would fit easily beside the TFP and behind the driver. I don't think this will be as hard as I thought!

So the ones I'm looking at so far are:
BabyTrend
KeyFit
Snugride 22

Which of these allow you to leave the handle up in the car? That's one of my wishes for a new seat.

Now I just have to find a way to drive 1.5 hours to Babies R us (preferably without the 18 mo old in tow:rolleyes:...

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I wouldn't be surprised if you could fit the Snug Ride 32/ 35 behind the driver as well.

I had a problem w/ the SR32 independently installed sticking to the base b/c pressure put on it at the top by the rf tfp in my vehicle. :twocents: The girl at BRU looked at me wierd cause we thought I was gonna break the dang thing getting it out. All three they had out did this. They didn't stick if both seats were outboard so it was the tfp.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC