Question Insurance - hows it work for seat replacement?

AWW

I was in the middle of a three car collision today thanks to a lady that decided to slam on her breaks and completely stop to change lanes in an 80 zone on the freeway. Anyways, I know my seats need replacing. I was going to move DS to a TF when the new ones come out next month, would my insurance wait that long to replace it? He was in a SS1 which he is far from outgrowing but would be in a TF later this year anyways. I'd love if they would wait for me to buy it (I have one spare seat right now and am going to borrow a second seat). I wonder if I could pre-order from BRU? I can't talk to an adjuster until next week. :( Because I technically rear ended someone I might be partly at fault (and then was rearended myself). :thumbsdown:

On a plus note, maybe I can get a pink Nautilus for DD now since she'd love that more than the gray one she currently has.

Pam.

ADS

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Are you in AB? Who is your insurance company? Maybe somebody has experience with them and seat replacement.

Obviously yes, your seats need to be replaced..and as with your damage on your vehicle, your carseats should be covered regardless of fault. I can't see why insurance wouldn't wait a month, considering insurance claims often take that long to resolve, regardless!

-Nicole.

Nimommyof2

I think it totally depends on your insurance company. I've had two friends who had different experiences with different companies, but usually insurance claims take a while so they may wait. Though if its a company that wants to fight paying for new ones you may not want to wait. I've also heard State Farm(I think it was) sucks at replacing carseats so hopefully you don't have any problems.

mygems

When we were getting our seats replaced we didn't have a time limit for buying a new one, and I remember waiting awhile before we did (probably 3 weeks at least) because we had to pay upfront and at the time we couldn't afford it right away.

Now, this was 8 years ago and in Manitoba, but that's my experience!

AWW

I am in Alberta and my insurance is Meloche Monnex/TD. I've never had to file a claim before since I haven't been in a collision in more than ten years but when I asked the guy about it on the phone today when I made the claim he said the adjuster would be calling me on Monday and to talk to him about the carseats then. I have one spare Evenflo seat and am hopefully borrowing a EB/AEO from a friend. I think I'm already going to have trouble with the at fault thing since the collision was caused by someone needlessly stopping on the freeway in an 80km zone and they actually didn't get hit by anyone (oh wait, she said she "slowed down" because her kids were being "noisy").

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:happy-wavehello:

Sorry I'm not sure how long they'll let you wait to replace the seat. I'm also not completely sure if they'll let you replace it with an infant/child seat being that he was in an infant only seat - that will be something to ask the adjuster about as well. In technicality, the coverage is replacement cost for like kind and quality. I never actually worked in the claims department when I worked for Meloche Monnex, so I'm not completely sure. If there are injuries involved the claim is going to be open for a longer period of time anyways - and with there being the possibility that the other driver will be found 100% at fault, it's likely to extend the length of time it's open too - good points in your favor because if they were ready to close the claim aside from the carseat, there'd likely be pressure to replace the carseat right away...

Let me know what you find out hey? In the meantime, if you can't find someone to lend you an infant seat I can probably help out with a rf'ing infant/child one. :thumbsup:

marciemp

We waited for a while before replacing our seats (used spares) and it was no problem. The guy said we had 2 options, to replace the seats and then give him a receipt and the old seats and he would research the value of the old seats and send a cheque, or I could research the value myself and send him print outs of the seats we were replacing from 3-5 stores or websites and then bring the seats in and wait for a cheque before buying new ones. We did the latter since we needed the money first before we could buy new seats. We ended up getting 100% of the new seats paid for since we replaced a Britax Frontier with a GN, but if we had replaced with the same seats we would have got less. The experience was very positive, the insurance adjuster was very nice and helpful and we had no problems at all. Oh yeah and I was 100% at fault, I slid (backed) into my Uncles BMW on a very snowy day.

AWW

I talked to my adjuster and he is making it sooooo easy for me. I already replaced DD's seat (Nautilus) and since her old seat was less than a year old and I replaced it with the same seat (but different cover - she's loving the Mariposa instead of the grays) he is giving me full value for it and he depreciated my Safeseat 20% - I said it was a few years old so he said two, and will cut a check for the Nautilus and 80% of a new seat for DS that is up to a $200 value, whohoo. It looks like I'll be picking up a TF this week and when the new TF's come out I'll just get that out of pocket and the regular TF will become a spare seat. I've never had to deal with car insurance before but I must say I am very impressed with my insurance company.

Pam.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC