New guidelines and state specific expiration dates?

christineka

A certain mom went to a fire station here in Utah (Davis county) to have her car seats checked.

She learned:
1. Rear-facing car seats must be 45 degrees reclined.
2. There are now new guidelines that state the harness must be exactly at the shoulder, not below for a rear-facing seat. (not sure how you pull that off with a slotted seat)
3. All states have their own car seat expiration dates. All car seats in the state of Utah expire 5 years after the date of manufacture.

(4. was actually good- no hard aftermarket mirrors.)

This lady is vehemently defending the cpst. She insists that all those points are completely true. Now, it isn't bad to chuck the seats after 5 years or to keep your toddler rfing at 45 degrees- it's just that she's telling others who believe her.

So, I thought I'd check to make sure I didn't miss something. Does each state have their own car seat lifespans? How about any new guidelines saying the harness should not come from below the shoulders when rfing?

ADS

Pixels

1. Wrong. Some seats are over-reclined at 45 degrees. You must follow the manufacturer's instructions, whether that is 30-45 degrees (stated in Radian manual), line level to the ground (many seats, but many manufacturers will also tell you that up to 30 is okay if you call them, you just can't recline the seat any more than the line indicates), or other level indicator.

2. Wrong. Your point about slotted seats is correct. Also, you must always follow the manufacturer's instructions. Every US seat says even with or below, AFAIK.

3. I don't know if Utah has a stricter, new law that I've never heard of, but the vast majority of states simply go with a proper use law, meaning you have to follow the manufacturer's instructions, including expiration (usually 6 years, varying from 5-9).

Cryssy Jane

We were told in my tech class (january 2010) that all rf seats are suppose to be at 45 degrees. When the 30-45 thing was brought up we were told it's 45 only.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We were told in my tech class (january 2010) that all rf seats are suppose to be at 45 degrees. When the 30-45 thing was brought up we were told it's 45 only.

I was told a few things I vehemently disagreed with in my tech class. The secondary instructor agreed with me but we didn't argue with the lead instructor in front of the class. :whistle: ;)

AtTheSouthDam

I have heard the 5 year law here in CO from CPST as well. Here it sounds more like it applies to agencies but the reasoning is our higher altitude, rapid temperature changes and dry climate cause the seats to age faster.

I have never actually found this stated "law" though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In CA rental agencies are not allowed to have seats more than 5 years old, but there is no limit on the age of seats used by consumers (except our proper use clause.)

Niea

I was told the same thing in my tech class (Feb 2010). However, when pressed, the instructor did say that if the carseat manual says it can be more upright, then it's okay. If the manual does not mention it, then it must be 45 degrees, no more no less.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC