Pros&Cons Coccoro

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
My dear friend desperately wants to buy dd's travel system. I had planned to get rid of it this month anyway. She is due in May. I have dd's xtsl, but I hate it behind the driver seat. Right now I have to keep dd and ds seperated b/c ds has been attacking her (does anything he can to pick on her). I need a solution and I think the cocorro sounds like it. I'm also selling my co-sleeper to her along w/ some nb diapers so I have $300-$350. I want to keep as much as possible w/ all that is going on in our finances. I would use the tfp, but dh can't instal the xtsl in his vehicle, it is a really odd match. Dh said it is my money as we didn't buy any of these things, they were gifts, so he feels no loss.

I need to be prepared for quirks, etc.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Cons first, then pros:

The two biggest cons I can think of are 1) It's outgrown soon, which I'm confident you already know about, and 2) Although I haven't read about this much, it was a GIANT PITA to install in my vehicle.

At first, I thought it was because I was trying to set it to the outside of the seating position, since I was trying to fit it in a 3-across, but the more I fussed with it, the more I think it just does not like my third row. I do have a solid install there, but I was nervous about it until I'd used it for a few days and re-verified independent installs. OTOH, it went in BEAUTIFULLY in my second row, easy as pie, and I was able to move it, with a sleeping toddler, to someone else's car and get an acceptable install. So when it goes in well, it goes in super easily.

Running the belt thru the rear lockoff and locking the belt *may* cause an issue.

I found it's just a quirky seat, it has a lot of oddities that I wasn't used to. In my mind I keep thinking, "Is this more of a European seat or something?!" but I really have no clue, ha ha.

Truly, I would either try to find one IRL to try out, or buy from someplace with good return shipping.

Also, the shoulder straps are long enough that I could see a problem on some smaller kids, but I haven't seen that reported, either.

PROS:

It's adorable!

IIRC, your DD is small, so she'll fit well in it. It's a perfect match for my 19lb 22mo. But, it also fits my 25lb (!) 13 month old. So it's not be-all and end-all if she sprouts up.

As I said above, when it installs well, it's super-easy.

You have the option of the flash stroller, and it's light and portable, if you want to go that way. (I never thought I would 'til I had to do that reinstall on the fly, and it is something I would consider in lieu of a bucket in the future, since I mostly wear and would do it infrequently. Except not as part of my current 3-across, ha ha.)

The harness adjuster is super-smooth and easy.

It has lots of install options (multiple ways to lock belt, rear australian tether/lockoff if you want it, etc.)

And obviously, it fits well in tight places.

I've had it for a few weeks only, but that's what I think so far. I don't think it would be my first choice, and in hindsight I think I would have seen if I could fit something else in that space first, but I pilled the padding pretty well with ripped fingernails while installing and didn't feel right sending it back, lol. However, I can see in many, many situations where it would be great, albeit a niche seat.

Do the TF(P) or MR not fit behind that seat? Similar/smaller price point(s), and they would last you a lot longer.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have a lot of time right now, but I'll try to do a quick rundown.

Cons: It can be difficult to install in some cars. I haven't had a problem in any of the cars I've installed it in, but I know others have. I think more than anything, it's just very "different" and takes some getting used to.

The puzzle buckle is less convenient than a non-puzzle, but I haven't found it to be a negative, really. I actually kinda like it.

I won't list the fact that it's outgrown early as a "con," per se, because if it were a bigger seat it wouldn't be what it is.

Pros: The European seatbelt routing around the back. I just can't say how much I love it from a safety standpoint.

It's truly adorable.

The harness adjuster is super smooth.

Lightweight and PERFECT for traveling with. (Installs in an airplane in 30 seconds, doesn't take up a ton of room.)

Have I mentioned it's adorable?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I know it will be outgrown relatively early, but I'm not really worried about that as we have an xtsl for dd... I just cannot put her by ds right now. He has hit her w/ toys, pour his sippy cup on her, and once we took all things away, he started trying to pinch her and poke her eyes out.

I haven't tried a mr yet. That was the "plan" for dd until I was able to get the xtsl for $191. I just don't love the regular tf.. I might could talk myself into a tfp, but the price would be more...

I figured I was going to hear about installs. I just wanted to ask. I have somewhere to try it here, I think they still carry them.

Do alot of people have issues w/ messing up the covers? I haven't thought abouth that.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was coming back to add the puzzle buckle, lol. It's not like the puzzle buckle on the Touriva I had six or seven years ago (I HATED HATED HATED that!), it's more like the two sides link together before they click in. Different, not necessarily difficult.

I think the cover issue is more just me; I haven't read of anyone else having the issue. My fingernails rip really easily in general, and I had just gotten the seat and used it heavily in a marathon three or four hour three across squishing session, lol. So I had ripped a few nails and snagged one of them, leaving more of a pull than a pill, I guess. It's not huge and I don't notice it in day to day use, but IMO it wasn't right to return it at that point.

I only mention the MR because if you're going to spend the money, it might make sense to get something that lasts longer. OTOH, if you only use the Coccoro for 18mos, it's easy to justify selling it and get a decent price for it, vs the MR which I would have a harder time getting rid of while the kids still fit in it.

One other plan/suggestion for you... can you take the TFP from DH's vehicle and instead of using the XTSL there, get a Scenera or another cheap alternative? Not sure if she rides there frequently, but it would save you some cash. I'm guessing you've worked through all of these possibilities (and they're not what your thread is about,) but throwing it out there anyways.

Glad to hear you have somewhere to try the Coccoro. I couldn't find it around here and had to go in blind, sigh.

Laurette

My cover pilled and snagged up pretty baddly the first time I washed it. And I continue to snag it sometimes with my fingernails.

NVMBR02

My cover pilled and snagged up pretty baddly the first time I washed it. And I continue to snag it sometimes with my fingernails.

That stinks! I haven't snagged mine yet and it washed up fine. I used the handwash cycle on my front loader.

FWIW, we haven't had any issues with the Rio cover on our XT either and I know other people have.

poohbear

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I'll try to do a quick rundown.

Cons: It can be difficult to install in some cars. I haven't had a problem in any of the cars I've installed it in, but I know others have. I think more than anything, it's just very "different" and takes some getting used to.

The puzzle buckle is less convenient than a non-puzzle, but I haven't found it to be a negative, really. I actually kinda like it.

I won't list the fact that it's outgrown early as a "con," per se, because if it were a bigger seat it wouldn't be what it is.

Pros: The European seatbelt routing around the back. I just can't say how much I love it from a safety standpoint.

It's truly adorable.

The harness adjuster is super smooth.

Lightweight and PERFECT for traveling with. (Installs in an airplane in 30 seconds, doesn't take up a ton of room.)

Have I mentioned it's adorable?

How do you install on an airplane? sorry if that's a dumb ?

crunchierthanthou

How do you install on an airplane? sorry if that's a dumb ?

the same as any other lapbelt install. You pull up the cover, buckle, and tighten...

The seatbelt buckle was right in front of the carseat buckle, but dd didn't seem to notice. Her legs go out around the CCO buckle anyway.

eta: well, what do you know? I have pics. :p

DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0950.jpg

I'm actually a little worried that she will discover the seatbelt on our next trip. She's a bit more precocious than last fall.

and no, my harness adjuster is never snapped in place. :eek:

Last edited:

natysr

That is much better than a Marathon install where the buckle is behind the crotch strap. Jordan's boy parts weren't very happy with that last time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC