Should I consider another 'baby bucket' for my 6 mo old or just go to a convertible?

midwestmeg

I have an older (but not expired ;) ) Peg Perego 'baby bucket' ie infant seat. I love it and it works in my PP stroller. However, the height only goes to 26 inches and my dd is getting close.

I live in Minnesota and while I love to babywear, I have to say with #3 the bucket is handy. :p

So should I consider another infant seat that I would use for a few more months or just go to the Roundabout and hope the weather gets warmer soon?

How long do you use a bucket? I know that the older baby gets, the more I leave the seat in my car. But my baby is so mellow, she is willing to sit in her seat and so its handy to use when we are at the library, etc.

And what kind of infant seat would you get? Any reason *not* to get another PP?

FWIW, we should be done with babies but I've always wanted four. ;)

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The standing height limit on car seats is required by law, since lawmakers feel that parents only ever measure their kids from head to foot, but standing height doesn't have anything to do with car seat fit. As long as she has at least an inch of car seat shell above the top of her head, she is safe in the Peg.

If it were me, I would go from the Peg into a convertible. You can always keep the Peg in the truck for awhile to use in the stroller. If I had a trusted friend with a bigger bucket they were willing to lend me, I might consider it, but I wouldn't spend the money on a brand new bucket unless I could hand it down to a younger sibling or niece/nephew.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The 26" doesn't matter, Your baby will outgrow it when there's less of 1" of hard shell above the head.

If you like the convenience of a bucket why not get a Graco Snugride 35 or Safety 1st Onboard 35? Both will last you probably another year (through another winter), and when you're not carrying them into the house in them you can leave the seat in the car like a convertible.

Otherwise if your baby fits, a Roundabout is fine. There is no safety benefit to one or the other when both fit properly.

Some people use buckets for exactly zero days, others use the bigger ones for up to two years if they have a small baby. Probably most are in the 6-9 month range.

Wendy

macmomma

I have my 5 month old FD in a TF and the Snugride is in the cargo area of the car for when I need it like in a restaurant or the park. I would go with a convertible and put the "bucket" in the trunk:)

Just repeating the others. If she has 1" of hard shell still above her head she's fine to stay in her seat (as long as she meets the weight too).

I too wouldn't buy a new bucket, I'd go for the convertible & just keep the bucket in the trunk for use.

midwestmeg

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies!! :) :) Sometimes I need to hear 'you do not need to run out and make another purchase.' ;)

I will check her head height and follow the link listed to make sure she is still okay in her PP. Then we'll probably just go to the Roundabout. I could keep the 'bucket' in the trunk, but she's probably okay with forward facing in the stroller pretty soon too. I think a few more weeks and she'll be sitting up well on her own. :love:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hehe I just noticed that she's only six days older than Laine.

I keep a bucket in my trunk. I use it for carseat checks (since I don't use a stroller, other than about to switch to one for checks). And it's a PITA to move her from her carseat to the bucket. But she's also been sitting for many weeks now, so she uses high chairs or sits on the floor where we go.

Wendy

midwestmeg

Yes, I think we did the DDC together at MDC. :) I never really connected with that group, though.

Your LO looks so cute in her carseats!! Pictures like that in the siggys here are really helpful. :D

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I never really connected well over there either. Oh well. :) It's not like I'm not on one or two other boards (four different ones) already. LOL

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC