Ok for seatbelt now?

zactayaus

DD desperately wants out of her booster. She will be 12 in May. She just hit 4' 9" and weighs about 59 lbs.

What do ya think?

Gavin10monthsold053.jpg

Gavin10monthsold054.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree. Lap belt is too high by just a smidgen. I'd let her pick a backless that's comfortable for her.

If it's a consolation to her she is VERY close. Maybe within the next 6 months, almost certainly within the year, knowing how 12 year olds grow. :)

Mommy0608

I'd have to agree with the others, sorry. :( She's close though, but that lap belt fit isn't great. I agree, let her pick out a cool backless that she likes.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does the back of the seat come forward at all? I wonder if it was more upright a click or two if that'd move her body enough that the lap belt could come down. But I agree with the others. Sorry!!

She is a tiny thing!!

Wendy

Mommy0608

Does the headrest in that seating position move up? I'm thinking it does. If you put her in a backless there, you'll likely have to move the headrest up a little. I'm sure you knew that though, but wanted to mention it just incase. :thumbsup:

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The lapbelt is caught in the bight. Freeing it might let the belt sit a little lower. I also agree with the PP about trying the 3rd row. You can also console her that she is sure to fit in some cars.

zactayaus

Thanks everyone. That's what I thought but I told DD we'd take pics and post here any way. She has been in a backless for a while now in that seated position with the headrest raised and fits great. She actually sits in a TB and prefers it, but maybe I'll look into getting her something a little more low profile. Any suggestions?

Does the back of the seat come forward at all? I wonder if it was more upright a click or two if that'd move her body enough that the lap belt could come down. But I agree with the others. Sorry!!

She is a tiny thing!!

Wendy

No. It's the second row of our suburban so the seats are fixed. And yeah. She is a peanut.

You could also try her in the third row to see if the seatbelt geometry is any better.

She does fit in the 3rd row but she likes to be next to her baby brother.:love:

Does the headrest in that seating position move up? I'm thinking it does. If you put her in a backless there, you'll likely have to move the headrest up a little. I'm sure you knew that though, but wanted to mention it just incase. :thumbsup:

She's been in a backless for at least 6 months now (I think?) in that seat with the headrest raised.

The lapbelt is caught in the bight. Freeing it might let the belt sit a little lower. I also agree with the PP about trying the 3rd row. You can also console her that she is sure to fit in some cars.

The lapbelt always goes in the bight no matter who sits there or if you have a seat installed there or not. I'm not sure why. It just does.:shrug-shoulders:

J-max

CPST Instructor
She is just a few months older than my DD#1 and they fight about the same. My DD was DESPERATE to be out of a booster last summer and she fit good in the 3rd row of the 'burb, so she sits back there. I actually have #4 RF in the drivers side outboard 3rd row seat, so she is next to the baby and it works great for us.

skaterbabs

The TB isn't the most comfy backless out there. You might let her try several other the available ones to see which she likes best.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
no, i'm sorry. In fact, with hr build and the belt geometry, I'm not sure it will even be "soon" that she doesn't ned one...it looks like with that belt geometry, even a moderately bigger person is going to have lapbelt ride-up?

Maedze

no, i'm sorry. In fact, with hr build and the belt geometry, I'm not sure it will even be "soon" that she doesn't ned one...it looks like with that belt geometry, even a moderately bigger person is going to have lapbelt ride-up?

I was thinking the same thing. It may just be unfortunately crappy seatbelt geometry, because I don't think 'soon' is accurate.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was thinking the way she's built, within a year or so she may have enough hips to hold it down if she does the lock the belt and put it where you want it trick (what I do in many cars) and that she might have long enough legs to use leverage on the floor to squish herself back a little more to set herself up for it by then. :) Many belts don't fit ME properly but once I got a little hippier and could reach the floor, I was able to "fix" my belt fit a lot better.

Kat_Momof3

the shoulderbelt - fantastic

the lapbelt... too high

I'm POSITIVE she'd pass in my van... just because of the angle of the lapbelt and buckles... but in that vehicle, the lapbelt just is too low

I'd go with a combi dakota, a clek olli, or a Harmony Literider (I know... all different price points)... they're nice and low profile and the first two come in a fun color/colors or patterns.

TerisBoys

Cosco High Rise/Ambassador is also low-profile. The newish Evenflo Amp might work too.

Does the seatbelt on the driver's side also go into the bight? Could you switch her and Austin if it doesn't?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Cosco High Rise/Ambassador is also low-profile. The newish Evenflo Amp might work too.
I was thinking those, too. My dd's that size and loves the Dakota, but it's just so tall, it pushes her way way high. Same with the Olli.

If someone could invent a height adjustable booster, like a table booster that has little legs that go up and down, that'd be the coolest thing :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC