carseat safety presentation

annb

Our MOPS (mothers of preschoolers) group had a carseat safety presentation given by the firefighters from our town yesterday. Sounds good, right?

Here was some of the information given:
*Straps should be at or above the shoulders, for both foward and rear facing.
*Rear facing is recommended by the pediatricians to age two, but kids' legs can get too long for that.
*All carseats with latch can be installed that way up to the carseat's weight limit.
*On all infant carrier seats, you must put the handle down.
*Infant carrier seats cannot ever be installed safely without a base.
*All carseats expire in 5 years.

Great information, huh? :eek: And when I challenged them on some of the points, they stuck with their answers.

Last edited:
ADS

Midwife@heart

WTH? Crazy. If I were you I would ask to give a presentation myself lol
Why don't you contact a real cert. carseat tech?

annb

WTH? Crazy. If I were you I would ask to give a presentation myself lol
Why don't you contact a real cert. carseat tech?

Good idea. LOL I suggested the topic, but I wasn't in charge of getting the speaker. Pretty much 95% of the speakers we have, I'm more knowledgeable on the topic than the speaker. :whistle:

Kat_Momof3

sounds like they should have made you in charge of getting the speaker.

I'd print out some info from this and other car seat safety sites and hand them out to the members... let them know that there were some mistakes/old info being stated.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC