Just venting-carseat placement

Mom2three

I have 3 seats in the middle row, and two in the back. (Trailblazer) I have to flip a seat in the second row to get to the back. I have 2 RFers and a 13 yr old all of the time. An 8 yr old booster rider on weekends. I usually keep the RFers in the second row during the week, but when we do soccer transport or anything for DNi during the week this is a problem, because they have to climb in thru the back or I have to move seat.

So, I put 2 MRs in the 3rd row RF. It was working well, but I have to 'jump' into the back cargo area to get them buckled/in/out. I have ripped the crotch out of two pairs of jeans now stretching to get out. And they weren't tight. or anything. This sucks.

I'm going to put one RF in the second row, and one in the third row, and just climb in from the front...to save pants. :eek:

ADS

Midwife@heart

I got lost lol. How come you can't put the two rf ones in middle row and you still have space for the ones on the back row to get through?

Mom2three

Oh, sorry, the MRs fit with barely any room in between, no way to put them next to each other. A RN and CCO fit side by side, but the outboard seat we need to flip to get to the back still pushes on which ever one is in the center, which will loosen the install.

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Have you checked your owners manuel cause we had a Trailblazer come into the check yesterday and a carseat can not be installed in the middle position on the middle row. Does that make sense? I didn't know this until another tech mentioned it yesterday!

mamajava

Senior Community Member
Nevermind...I just downloaded a Trailblazer manuel and it says that some seats are to wide to install in the middle position. She told me that I couldn't install in the middle position! I will have to clear this up with her.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
GM originally disallowed installs in the center in the Trailblazer but rescinded that during the 2003 model year retroactively to allow it provided that you're able to achieve a proper installation in the center. It's narrow there between the center's seatbelt buckle stalks, but workable with the right carseat. :)

Mom2three

I don't have seats in the middle. I tried to fit them side by side (after checking ther manual, and searching on here) but if the third seat still can't be flipped without affecting the center install it makes more sense for us to have one in the third row.

I just thought it was funny, and irritating, that having both in the third row was working so well...except for the fact that I am not graceful about climbing back out of the cargo area and keep ripping pants. It's still icy around here and I always slip and stratch too far climbing out.

MissAllyLou

I can get two Radians side-by-side and still access my flip seat in my Envoy :whistle: . I just pull the outboard Radian as far over as possible before installing with the seatbelt, and then squeeze the middle one in with the extra seat flipped.

Mom2three

That may be my reason to get another RN. Although the CCO is pretty narrow too. When I go to flip the seat it puts pressure on the CCO or RN, whichever I have center, and moves it around.

cookie123

I looked at 3 row suvs at the car show yesterday. I can't image getting back there to do a car seat once let alone always. However, I didn't look at any of the large ones. They're probably better. I didn't even see a TrailBlazer. They were missing several brands, actually.

We looked at the Tribeca, Journey, Acadia, Veracruz. Was most interested in the Santa Fe, which didn't have the 3rd row there. I looked at the built in boosters in the Volvo. Seemed nice. THere was 18 inches between for a harnessed seat.

I think 2 kids might be the way to go! Or have 2 more later when car seats are over!

Pixels

How do you have the belt locked? A locking latchplate or locking clip should hold the install tight no matter how much you bump it. Well, at least with the Radian. The Coccoro might be too slippy-flippy.

Mom2three

When the RN was in the center it was more a factor of the vehicle seat pulling the cover off when putting it back up, just irritating and I could see it eventually ruining the cover. I tried moving the CCO over even further to make more room, but then it sloped quite a bit and looked uncomfortable. There is a little less than 9in of space (IIRC) in the center, and the belt stock doesn't move too much so it is hard to shove the RN over any further. And there is a plastic piece on the other side that the boot slips into if I'm not careful.
When I had the CCO center it wouldn't flip it, necessarily. But the top of the seat would get pressed on when I flipped the vehicle seat and it would work the top of the CCO around, eventually flipping up after multiple times of doing it. I could try again with the RN center and see if I can get it in better.

ETA: Pixels, I wasn't using a locking clip. Just locked the retractors. A LC might be the answer. I better go hunting for one, they always seem to get lost.

Jeanum

Staff member
No, you're allowed to install in the third row, including in the third row center, provided that you can achieve a proper installation according to the LATCH manual. While the third row is not optimal for forward facing carseats due to a lack of top tether anchors in the third row, it's allowable if you can achieve a proper installation and if you're not using a forward facing carseat that requires top tethering.

zavyirsdaddy

My 3rd row doesn't even have latch, only the outboard seats in the middle do. Also, in a trailblazer, you can't install in the 3rd row center, there is no center. It's a 7 pass vehicle.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
LATCH is not a prerequisite for a safe carseat installation. Vehicles are only required to have two full sets of LATCH, but almost vehicles can safely accommodate more than two carseats.

Jeanum

Staff member
Hmmm, either the LATCH manual is confused and listing a third row center seating position that doesn't exist, or there are versions of the Trailblazer with three seating positions in the third row and maybe optional captain's chairs in the second row as an 7-passenger variation. :confused: Either way, you're allowed to install in any rear seating position in the second or the third row provided that you can achieve a proper installation using an allowable installation method for that seating position, be it a seatbelt installation in any position equipped with a seatbelt for it, or a LATCH installation in spots with dedicated sets of LATCH anchors. :thumbsup:

zavyirsdaddy

I wonder about that. I've never heard of an 8 pass trailblazer though. (just did a google search, my exact truck is listed on multiple sites as 8 pass. although it only seats 7)
Does anyone know if a Radian would fit between 2 GNs in the middle row?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC