Question Daycare needs a new seat for DD - she's outgrowing her Scenera

maybesomeday

I just realized this morning that DD is just at the cusp of outgrowing her Scenera that our daycare provider uses in her van. So we need to get something else. She is only 3 but she's very tall for her age. She's right around 40lbs and probably 40inches. I need to do her measurements when I get home tonite. So, what's next that is in the lower price range that will still allow my tall girl to stay harnessed the longest? I've looked around a little but it get's very confusing.

Thanks!

ADS

autumnlily

First thought is a seat with high top harness slots.

Evenflo Maestro: $80, 18" top slots and 50lb harness limit
Evenflo Generations 65: $99, 16.5" top slots and 65lb harness limit
Safety 1st Apex 65: $119, 18" top slots and 65lb harness limit (however the vehicle has to have head rest support)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Evenflo Maestro? Tall top slots, 50 lbs. limit, $75?

Or the Evenflo Generations 65, not as tall but taller than the Scenera (is she really below the top slots at 40 lbs.? Seems like she's not too long-torsoed then) and with a 65 lb. limit, $99 (less if you buy at Babies R Us with a coupon, there are 15% and 20% off ones going around right now.)

After that is pretty much the Graco Nautilus, 65 lbs. and very tall slots, makes a decent booster for many kids in many cars afterwards, which with various deals can be as low as $135-140 but usually more like $150-170.

ETA: D'oh! I always forget the Apex. Its top slots are 17.5 though, not 18 inches.

armywife12

Id go with the maestro. My 30 month old has outgrown the scenera (even with top slots) just about and has tons of room left in the maestro. I measured top slots at 18.25 inches. Caleb fits great in the maestro.

maybesomeday

Or the Evenflo Generations 65, not as tall but taller than the Scenera (is she really below the top slots at 40 lbs.? Seems like she's not too long-torsoed then) and with a 65 lb. limit, $99 (less if you buy at Babies R Us with a coupon, there are 15% and 20% off ones

Thanks everybody. No, that's the problem. I guess I used the word "cusp" wrong:p I meant right now! She's IS over the top slots of the Scenera. I don't usually put her in their van, but I did this morning because I got there as they were leaving to run an errand (it's a home daycare owned by a family friend). I mentioned that the straps were below her shoulders and she said, "Yeah and her head is almost above the top". I noticed the top of her head does go above the shell, but not the top of her ears. So I checked the size for the limits. Sheesh. I would have figured that she would have mentioned it before. I guess too many other things to worry about. We have different seats in our vehicles so I didn't think about it.:eek: So do you think the Maestro will be enough even though it only goes to 50lbs?

autumnlily

Is she really a full 40lbs? Have you weighted her dressed & with shoes on?

I think my DD only gained 4lbs from 3yo to 4yo... so I could see a 50lb harness seat being okay. Perhaps others will chime in on weight growth. As for height - absolutely, the Maestro will be great!

maybesomeday

Is she really a full 40lbs? Have you weighted her dressed & with shoes on?

I think my DD only gained 4lbs from 3yo to 4yo... so I could see a 50lb harness seat being okay. Perhaps others will chime in on weight growth. As for height - absolutely, the Maestro will be great!

Her last doctor's appointment was in the middle of Feb and she was 38.? lbs fully dressed. So probably not right at 40 yet. But I do know her shoulders are above the top slot on the Scenera. I found that my local Sears has the Maestro in stock ($66.99 on sale & w/ a $5 off coupon) and I can order it online now and pick it up on my way home from work. That way I can fit her in it tonite and get her set up in their van tomorrow morning. Thanks for all your help. I will defite make a note somewhere to keep on top of this better:thumbsup:

autumnlily

Wonderful!

I was going to suggest the "pick up in store" option for Sears. I purchased our Maestro that way, when it was on sale!

I have no doubt she has outgrown her Scenera and I'm certainly happy you discovered it AND are fixing it ASAP. That is great.

I'd encourage you to have your daycare provider verify all the children's seats she transports... their maybe others who need their seats changed out too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC