Can one "report" safety seat violations?

MomE

There is a parent at my daughter's daycare who pulls up every morning with her daughter standing up in the back seat leaning between the backs of the two front seats. She has a seat in the back for her daughter. And she has to drive through a parking lot and then an access road into and through another parking lot. I can only assume she's only letting her daughter do this in the parking lots. But I was in a very bad accident after just pulling away from the curb in front of my home. And all it would take to send this child flying through a window is someone coming around an aisle too quickly and not paying attention (which happens every time I'm driving through that parking lot). Also, my 2 year old is already wanting to sit FF when she sees the other kids doing it.... So seeing this kid standing up.... Not a good thing!

Anyway, can I report this to someone (the police?)? As far as I know it's only occuring in the parking lots. Am I just being to nosey and should mind my own business?

ADS

Pixels

Yes, it is a police matter. Call the non-emergency number and report that this is happening on a daily basis. Some areas have something like 1-800-Buckle-Up, but I don't know if yours does or not.

MomToEliEm

Can you talk with the director of the daycare about what policies they have on daycare property. It might help to have the director make up a flier to distribute to all the parents stating the rules for carseat usage in the parking lot as well as include some carseat usage handouts (ask if you need any and we can provide linkes).

Some states do have some non-emergency numbers you can report violations to, though I am not sure which states those are.

MomE

Thanks for the info.

I had thought about talking to the daycare director. But I don't have faith in them doing anything about it. I have a hard enough time getting them to take my daycare concerns seriously. Also, the daycare is located on my work's property, and the mother is a coworker of mine. So I don't think it's a daycare property issue. And I feel uncomfortable confronting her about the issue because I have to work with her, know what I mean? That kinda thing is hard for me to do.

But I think I will talk with the daycare center just to get an idea of what the policies are. I'm also going to look into a phone number to call. It seems to me if this parent isn't wise enough to see how dangerous this, she needs someone with authority to tell her it's wrong. I think that will get through to her the most.

skitle1802

There is a parent at my daughter's daycare who pulls up every morning with her daughter standing up in the back seat leaning between the backs of the two front seats. She has a seat in the back for her daughter. And she has to drive through a parking lot and then an access road into and through another parking lot.

I had this same problem my DD1 kindergarten year. At the bus stop, there was this mom with 5 kids (oldest was in K, and I'm not bagging on big familys, I have 5 kids!) in a 5 seat car, week old infant in her lap, all the kids climbing around in the car while she is driving. I tried reporting her, but CHP and Child Protective Services already knew about them.
One day at the bus stop, she was chasing her 3 year old with the car (my husband was there that day) and he got out and grab the boy before she ran him over. And she was laughing the WHOLE time!

MomE

I had this same problem my DD1 kindergarten year. At the bus stop, there was this mom with 5 kids (oldest was in K, and I'm not bagging on big familys, I have 5 kids!) in a 5 seat car, week old infant in her lap, all the kids climbing around in the car while she is driving. I tried reporting her, but CHP and Child Protective Services already knew about them.
One day at the bus stop, she was chasing her 3 year old with the car (my husband was there that day) and he got out and grab the boy before she ran him over. And she was laughing the WHOLE time!

:eek:

Uh...uh...wow! Leaves me speechless!

mom2juliarose

This is from the California Highway Patrol's website:http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/child_safetyseat_faqs.html

How do I report unrestrained children?
You may report unrestrained children in a motor vehicle to the California Highway Patrol by calling 1-800-TELLCHP

Excellent! Thank you! I've noted the number.

I'd also note the number of the local (to the school's) police department's non-emergency line. When calling CHP to report an unrestrained child (I've done it on multiple occasions), there have been times when the CHP has declared that they have no jurisdiction because the vehicle was not on an interstate, state route, or even county road (basically, I was on side streets). So the CHP might not have jurisdiction near the school.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC