When do kids typically grow in and out of boosters

dmpmercury

I'm just curious if you have a seat with 17" or 18" top slots what age will a small or average sized kid typically outgrow it and need a booster. When can kids pass the 5 step test and graduate to a seatbelt. I'm just curious and wondering what to expect as my kids grow. My dd is on the bottom of the height chart my ds is average height.

ADS

featherhead

I see you have a Boulevard and Radian. With the Boulevard, average kids outgrow it around 4-5 years. With the Radian it's more like 5-6. For shorter kids, another year or two with either seat. Average kids pass the 5 step test somewhere between 10-12 usually.

dmpmercury

Thanks. I will be getting my dd a Maestro eventually because her Boulevard is going to expire before she outgrows it. She isn't anywhere close to outgrowing it even rear facing at 3.5 so I imagine she may last longer than most kids. Can a small kid usually pass the 5 step around 12?

Kat_Momof3

figure they will outgrow the harnessed seats of that harness height around age 4-7 and need a booster until age 8-13 (and age 8 is only for those kids like my oldest... ABOVE the 100th percentile for height)

scatterbunny

My 95th+ percentile daughter was too tall for the Britax 65# seats at age 4. She was too tall for a Radian by age 6. I think average-to-small kids can be expected to last until about age 5-7 in a Britax 65# seat and about age 7-9 in a Radian.

She's 97th percentile now, 8 years and 8 months old, 4 feet 8 inches tall, 75 pounds (wearing girl's size 12 bottoms, girl's size 14 tops, or women's extra-small), and does not pass the five step test in any of the vehicles I've had her sit in without her booster. I've heard from others that it may be possible for her to pass in certain vehicle third rows, but I haven't personally come across a seating position/vehicle where she passes.

It was legal for her (and all her friends who are about a head shorter than her :() to ride without a booster ages ago, but she's the only kid I know her age (and size) still in a seat.

icnee

My 95th+ percentile daughter was too tall for the Britax 65# seats at age 4. She was too tall for a Radian by age 6. I think average-to-small kids can be expected to last until about age 5-7 in a Britax 65# seat and about age 7-9 in a Radian.

She's 97th percentile now, 8 years and 8 months old, 4 feet 8 inches tall, 75 pounds (wearing girl's size 12 bottoms, girl's size 14 tops, or women's extra-small), and does not pass the five step test in any of the vehicles I've had her sit in without her booster. I've heard from others that it may be possible for her to pass in certain vehicle third rows, but I haven't personally come across a seating position/vehicle where she passes.

It was legal for her (and all her friends who are about a head shorter than her :() to ride without a booster ages ago, but she's the only kid I know her age (and size) still in a seat.

My son is 4'9" and 89lbs and does not pass in the third row of my caravan or any other seat in any type of car that I have tried him in around here he is also the only kid I know his age and size that is in a seat.

The shoulder belt does not touch his shoulder and the lap belt is on the lower part of his belly.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That third row in the Caravan is such a disaster, I've never seen a kid fit properly back there :(.

To the OP, your dd sounds like my dd1! She fit RF till 4.5 in the Marathon, then forward till 6 in it, then in the Radian till 7, would have fit in the Maestro till a full 50 pounds, maybe at 7.5. Then she's been in a booster till 10.5 now, she's 4'9", and fits in our Ford Escape without a seat, but still needs one in the captain's chair of our van or the belt rides too high on her tummy.

She fit fine in a booster at 5, we boostered or harnessed after that depending on what was convenient (self buckling was easier in the harness, it fit three across easier, but a booster for short trips with friends was fine, etc).

christineka

I have short kids. My 10 yo is no where close to passing the 5 step test. My poor, tiny dd3 will forever ride in a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC