Advice?

ChckLiz

Alright, well I had planned on getting Jonah a new seat to RF in (he's in the como right now) in the near future but now I'm wondering if maybe I should just keep him in the como until next summer when he turns 3 and just get him a forward facing seat? I really like the Britax Frontier seat but it's something I would have to save for a long time for since we don't have the money readily avaliable.. ever. Do you think they will still be making this seat or is the 85 replacing it? I like the GN as well but like the head wings on the frontier better.

So.. what I'm asking is if this is a good idea or not. DH could care less about any of this so I have to ask someone! :)

ADS

NannyMom

Why do you want a new seat now? What {e you going to get? If you got a true fit or radian for more RF leg room, it would likely fit him until booster age. Will you be selling the Como to get a new seat, or do you have money already saved up?

ChckLiz

I've been trying to sell my other como that I have.. tried on craigslist and tried a cousin of mine.. still no offer on it. Yes I would love to get him the TF for that reason, so that I can possibly RF him until booster age, but DH thinks we need to turn him now and I'm just not comfortable doing that and really don't see why he wants to any ways.. Jonah rides with me nearly every day and only once a week *maybe* with DH. I'd like to keep him harnessed at least until 5, 6 would be great!

NannyMom

I don't think the TF will keep him RF until booster age. I should keep him RF until at least 3, and harnessed FF until 5ish, depending on his torso.

stenmarks

I would probably wait until he's three and then get the Frontier 85...in fact, that's what we're doing! The Frontier 85 is replacing the regular Frontier.

ChckLiz

Sounds good to me.. I've been looking at that seat over the last couple of days and I really like it! Considering how much it is I definitely have to save for it.. maybe that can be a b-day gift for him next year!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Is he still comfortable RFing in what he's in? Do you think it's going to last him another year and a half, comfortably? My recollection is that the Como is often uncomfortable for older RFers, but some aren't bothered by it.

At just 18 months, he should definitely be RF in all vehicles. Once he turns two, maybe you could compromise with your DH and FF him in his vehicle (since he rarely rides in it,) and keep him RF in your vehicle. Does your DH understand why you want him still RFing, that he's 5x safer than he would be FFing, has he seen Joel's Story and the RF vs FF video? If he's seen them and doesn't care, then there's not much more that you can do, but those videos can make it clear as day why you're not willing to turn him yet.

If he were my kid, I'd probably get him a seat to RF him longer, that would last him until booster age, and then just plan on getting a dedicated booster at that time. It's probably a less expensive option than the Frontier, too. But, if he'll last to 3 RFing in the Como, then I don't think you NEED to do that, and if you really *want* the Frontier, then go ahead and save up for it. :)

ChckLiz

Yeah right now he's fine in the Como but I don't see it lasting until next summer RF. If I can ever get one of my seats sold *not having any luck!!* then I'll have the funds avaliable to get a MyRide which I really like a lot and I know that that would definitely get him RF until next summer or longer.

Yeah at 2, if he goes with DH anywhere I'll be more comfortable with him FF. Not too keen on it but if it'll get DH to shut up about it then I guess it'll work.. they don't go far either, only about a 10 min. drive tops. He understood why I wanted to do it until he turned two. I showed him all of the videos and told him info that I've read on it.. he's just past worrying about now and just thinks he'll be fine. And I mean, he may be fine and all that, but it just eases my mind knowing that just in case something does happen, I've done my best to keep him as safe as possible! KWIM?

I'm going to try to get the MyRide.. I can see that definitely lasting him until 3+ RF, then he can sit FF in it until 5 and then get a HBB.. I think that will work out better. If I could rewind time I would have waited to get the car seats I have now. A month after I got them, the MyRide came out. I could have kicked myself for not researching deeper and finding out about it!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC