3 across in rental vehicle?

Next week my Toyota Sienna is going in for some body work. We will have a rental vehicle for 3-4 days. I will more than likely not be able to get a minivan. We have been told that we should let the body shop know if we will be able to make a 3 across work in either a Chevy Impala or a Pontiac Grand Prix.

My children's stats are: 8 year old ds 52 lbs, 52 in., ~19 in. torso, boostered in Jane Indy Plus; 6 year old dd 42 lbs, 46 in., ~17 in. torso, rides ff in radian 65 (is also booster trained); 4 year old ds 30 lbs, 38 1/2 in., ~15 in. torso, rides rf in Orbit Toddler Seat. Will I be able to fit their regular seats in either the Impala or Grand Prix?

I also have a Marathon, Parkway, and Parkway SG that I can use to make a 3 across easier. I prefer keeping yds in his Orbit so I can snap the seat on and off the base so this would mean it would work best if I can have him outboard if at all possible. Which vehicle should I request and which seat configuration will work best? I am very frustrated that I will not be able to have a minivan and that the work on my vehicle will take so long.

ADS

Niea

I have a friend who was in practically the same situation a year ago! Her Sienna needed work and so she had to get a rental. She ended up getting an Avalon, which fit 2 infant seats and a Triumph in the back! Dang, that's one wide backseat!

In your case, I'd think the Impala would work better than the Grand Prix, but I can't be certain. Are those your only choice of vehicles?

armywife12

I have no idea how wide the Orbit seats are and I don't know if I'll be any help but the Impala has a huge back seat. We were rear ended 2 saturdays ago and our car has been in the shop since last monday. Our rental is a 2010 Impala and I can't believe how wide the back seat is. I am on vacation right now so I don't have all of my seats with me but right now I have access to a Nautilus, XTSL, Maestro, and a Chase booster. I can try those in the Impala but am not sure which combo would most closely resemble your situation, if any.

can you do 2 parkways (the sg and regular) and the radian? I think that would work.

And yes my mom and sister both have avalons (like 99 avalons though) and I have installed the back seats of both of their cars and holy mutha they are wide! I need one of those cars for my three across! :thumbsup:

DahliaRW

The Impala has a REALLY wide back seat. I could sit comfortably back there between a scenera and a turbobooster. And the time before that it was between a Marathon and a radian. With extra room. I would think a radian and any two other seats would probably work.

(I also love that the impala has 3 sets of LATCH - not that you'll need it, but it's sooooo nice).

NannyMom

You can do it with the Impala. It has a nice big back seat, like others have said. I have a Sienna, and whenever I needed a rental car, I requested an Impala.

I've done Nautilus, Parkway, RF Scenera. And Nautilus, FF Radian, RF Scenera. And the Scenera I always installed with latch.

I don't know how narrow the Indy is. But maybe you could do Radian, Parkway, Orbit or Marathon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC