Use of your CPST training

Angela

I will be going through the CPST training course the end of April (YAY!!). I don't need it for work or anything. I would just like to learn all the info. I would also like to share this info with other parents. I'm curious what all the CPS techs here do with their training. I've emailed a few hospital classes and the local MOMS clubs, but wasn't sure where else I could offer my services.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are you on a local mommies board? That's where I get most of my referrals from.

Word of mouth will work once you do a few. People who are having kids are often friends with people having kids. I did two yesterday. One found me on the WA State 800buckleup.com site, and he brought a friend from his Lamaze class (good thing, too!).

Get yourself listed on local or statewide pages of techs. Do public checks with Safe Kids and other groups.

I'd wait to do private checks until you're comfortable doing it on your own. So maybe do a few public checks first. Make sure you have paperwork and you document, just in case you're audited.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I do mostly private checks. I have developed a good relationship with the owner of the local USA Baby and leave cards and flyers there and do the occasional presentation on best practice for parents. (I made up a flyer for posting places and also ordered business cards that offer free private checks and group presentations.)

I also managed to get in touch with an organization that does local check events (since our local Safe Kids really doesn't, and the neighboring ones do but their checks tend to be on days when I can't do them plus a 2 hour drive.) I've been attending every event they have on days when I can do them since I hooked up with them and it's wonderful. :)

Angela

I heard back from one of the hospitals in the area. They do seat checks once a month and would love help! Good start at least. Any other suggestions?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, start getting stuff together for when you decide you're ready to do private checks. When you are you'll have your kit all ready. You can do it a little at a time. And when you are ready, get some cards made up and ask if you can leave them at local baby stores. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A pool noodle, an extra locking clip perhaps, paperwork, a LATCH manual, recall list. That's all I can think of for now that I use.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I have those and also a belt shortening clip (I doubt I'll ever use it but if I need one I have one; it was free), a knife, duct tape (for putting pool noodles into pyramids), a note pad for giving parents websites, lists of seats to look at, names of stores, tether anchor part nos., etc., a clipboard, a large doll that I use for demoing w/ expectant parents, recieving blankets ditto, zip ties (for tying up dangly tether straps-- could use rubber bands but out here I find they get hot, shrivel and fall off), TB screws and a mini screwdriver, a stapler for stapling my waivers and check forms together, an alphabetical accordion file where I keep my completed paperwork filed by driver's name and date, my notebook where I keep my paperwork (which includes my liability waivers, check forms, and other forms like the report a defect form that parents might need as well as some quick reference lists like handle positions for different infant carriers, HWH and HWRF seats available, oh, and a kind of phone directory of techs/Instructors I know whose numbers aren't stored in my phone so I can call them if needed, among other things) and also a measuring tape and scale (for weighing and measuring kids when necessary, though I usually only use those at bigger check events.) I know some techs bring a laptop and a CD of manufacturer's instructions and things like that but I don't have a laptop so not I. If I have a tricky question and no instructions I call someone. Usually Judi if the manufacturer is closed. ;) Oh, and extra flyers and business cards to give out so people can more easily spread the word. :) I have a backpack I keep it all in except for the baby doll and the scale (the scale fits if I have to but it makes it kinda tight, and the airline broke one when I checked my kit. So now I just mostly don't keep it in there, I grab it when I'll want it.

I'm sure I could make do with less but I've used everything I've got more than once. (Except the form for airbag on/off switch. Never given one of those out. And the BSC. Haven't used-used it but have shown it to other techs.) So I like having it around.

The paperwork was the most time-consuming and expensive part to get together. When you've done a few checks you'll get a feel for what you like in a checklist, and you can decide whether to make your own or use one that's already pre-prepared. (I use the St. John's Hospital one from the back of the tech manual, with my own liability disclaimer subbed in.)

I've found one thing that's important, since I'm quite often recommending new seats for people with expired and/or outgrown ones, is to be aware of what is out there and especially what's available locally, where, and for what price. I don't think I have ever given a parent just one choice and said, "This is the best one for you" though I think I can conceive of a situation where only one seat might work. I can tell them what choice I would personally probably make were it my kid in my car but I try to give them at least 2-3 appropriate choices and preferably more, and make sure at least 1-2 are available in store locally. So I do lots of field trips to not only play with new seats but be aware of what each store is carrying and for how much. I know most parents want to be able to touch and see a seat before they buy it so I have to know where is the best place to send them to do that, given how much they want to spend, etc. That's something you can start doing now, with the added bonus that you can start to make friends with the proprietors of any local baby stores so once you're a tech you can say, "Hey, give people my number if they have questions!"

Angela

Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't think about all the things I'll need for a kit!

We don't have a lot of baby places that sell carseats around here (unfortunately). I work at a kids consignment store that sells used carseats (I would rather we didn't but I can't talk the bosses out of it). That might be a good place to start to 'advertise' myself. I'm the one that usually gets called on to help parents figure out what kind of seat they need anyway.

I'm going to start getting my kit together soon. I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it once I get a few under my belt with the hospital. Thanks again for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC