IIHS Safety Picks 2010

mpk3

IIHS 2010 Safety Pics: http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

I am in the market for a new vehicle and have been taking my time to do a lot of research. I want to pick something very safe. I was surprised to see some of my top choices (Acura MDX, Mercedes GL, etc) weren't listed in the IIHS safety picks of 2010.

Does it surprise anyone else that there are hardly any luxury vehicles on this list? I thought that brands (like Mercedes) were known for safety?

I am trying to find a safe 7 passenger car/SUV (no van) for my family that can easily accomodate 3 carseats. Are there any other ratings I should be looking at while researching?

Thank you! :)

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The MDX was on the list for 2009. It isn't eligible for the 2010 list as the 2010 list required a rollover crash test (the roof strength rating) and IIHS has not actually done a crash test on the MDX since the 2007 model year (when Acura did the major redesign). Unless there is a major redesign of the vehicle, it's not cost effective for IIHS to buy another for one test.

IIHS has also not test the Mercedes GL-class which is why you won't find it in their top safety pics.

You might find http://informedforlife.org/ useful, but keep in mind that it's most useful for vehicles with complete ratings from IIHS and NHTSA. Although you can enter your own ratings for vehicles, so if you have rating from elsewhere (EuroNCAP for example) you could input those ratings.

mpk3

The MDX was on the list for 2009. It isn't eligible for the 2010 list as the 2010 list required a rollover crash test (the roof strength rating) and IIHS has not actually done a crash test on the MDX since the 2007 model year (when Acura did the major redesign). Unless there is a major redesign of the vehicle, it's not cost effective for IIHS to buy another for one test.

IIHS has also not test the Mercedes GL-class which is why you won't find it in their top safety pics.

You might find http://informedforlife.org/ useful, but keep in mind that it's most useful for vehicles with complete ratings from IIHS and NHTSA. Although you can enter your own ratings for vehicles, so if you have rating from elsewhere (EuroNCAP for example) you could input those ratings.

Thank you!

I know you have an MDX, and that car is still #1 on my list. If you were in my shoes, would you still recommend the MDX? It seems to have nice safety features, which is a big deal for me. I am comparing it to the GL and Lexus GX460. The MDX seems to be the best "bang for your buck" out of the three cars.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Thank you!

I know you have an MDX, and that car is still #1 on my list. If you were in my shoes, would you still recommend the MDX? It seems to have nice safety features, which is a big deal for me. I am comparing it to the GL and Lexus GX460. The MDX seems to be the best "bang for your buck" out of the three cars.
I can't recall what "your shoes" are. :D Were you the poster that was thinking of using the 3rd row regularly and didn't need a lot of cargo room?

The MDX is in the top 3% on informedforlife.org. It's got ESC, a nice wide wheelbase, low rollover risk, and the Super Handling AWD is amazing. Depending on the situation, the amount of torque in each wheel can be independently adjusted! There's this little computerized pic on your screen and you can actually watch (pay attention to the road ;)) which wheel(s) have the most power being applied to them. It's very cool. And it really helps when cornering. The vehicle feels like it's sinks into the corners so you never feel like your leaning or tipping like in other vehicles I've been in. Feels comparable to a sporty sedan instead of a taller SUV.

One of the main reasons we bought the MDX was for safety. So, if it meets your people fitting needs, it's a great, great vehicle.

ETA: the Lexus GX460 wasn't out when we bought our MDX but if it had been I would have considered it. I don't know enough about it though to say whether I would purchase it over an MDX if I was purchasing NOW. I do know that if I loved the Lexus, and could wait a bit to purchase, then I'd wait until Toyota had this accelerator issue resolved, since it is still so up in the air. As for the MB, we did rule it out in '08 when we purchased. I can't completely recall why but some of it was the look of the exterior of the vehicle (too bland for us) and cost at the time.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
To me, it seemed quite premature to make the roof crush test a requirement for the Top Safety Pick awards before it had been done on a large majority of vehicles. Also, the IIHS top picks limit it to vehicles that get top ratings in all the tests, even the rear impact seat evaluation that isn't an actual crash test.

Cars that are very safe overall could still get an "acceptable" rating in just one result, perhaps even the more subjective rear test, and then not qualify for the top safety pick rating. Also, some IIHS top safety picks don't always get top scores in the NHTSA crash results. In general, if you find a newer model that doesn't have any "3-star", "marginal" or worse ratings in any evaluation, it is probably pretty safe, especially if it has stability control and side curtain airbags.

It's good to see some reasonably priced models get top ratings across the board, like the Chevy Malibu and Subaru Forester.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I'm shocked they have the Corolla listed as a pick even though there is 2 known recall on the vehicle (ex: accelerator & steering).

mpk3

CPSDarren- Thank you for that information! :thumbsup:

I can't recall what "your shoes" are. :D Were you the poster that was thinking of using the 3rd row regularly and didn't need a lot of cargo room?

Ha-ha! Oh I'm sorry...didn't assume that you'd remember "my shoes" but yes you are right, that was me. :D I plan to use the 3rd row regularly. I have three kids. I would definitely have my oldest back there and considered having my middle child back there too. I am impressed that it has top tethers in the back for both spots. :thumbsup:

One of the main reasons we bought the MDX was for safety. So, if it meets your people fitting needs, it's a great, great vehicle.

Safety is a BIG thing for me. Good to hear that was the main reason you bought the MDX. :)

I do know that if I loved the Lexus, and could wait a bit to purchase, then I'd wait until Toyota had this accelerator issue resolved, since it is still so up in the air.

Good point. I was starting to think the same thing...worried about trusting Toyota right now.

I'm shocked they have the Corolla listed as a pick even though there is 2 known recall on the vehicle (ex: accelerator & steering).

Read the criteria. It's for crashworthiness. Not reliability or whatever your own personal definition of "safe" is.

That's a main reason why I ignore informedforlife. Making up a score for stuff they don't have data for and blending it in with the other scores to come up with their own composite is asinine IMO. Really hurts their credibility IMO.

Good point. I was starting to think the same thing...worried about trusting Toyota right now.

I don't think the 4Runner was under the recall. My main reason for passing on the GX is that I don't think it's "worth" it, being based off the 4Runner, whereas the MDX is based off the Odyssey. Just less "car" for the money IMO. And unless you live out in the boonies, I prefer car based vehicles.

Last edited:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's hard to factor recalls into a crashworthiness or crash avoidance rating. Even if you can determine how serious and how common the problem is, once you've taken it it for the recall, presumably the issue is resolved. That would become very subjective as to which of the dozens or hundreds of recalls every year you would hold against a particular model.

For example, the Chrysler Sebring is a top pick, and recently had a recall that could cause the brakes to fail without warning. I'm sure there are other top picks with safety related recalls as well.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
That's a main reason why I ignore informedforlife. Making up a score for stuff they don't have data for and blending it in with the other scores to come up with their own composite is asinine IMO. Really hurts their credibility IMO.

What else should they do?

They could do like Consumer Reports and other magazines used to do, and base it only on available results (or just IIHS or just NHTSA), later to find a recommended model got a poor result in one of those missing areas. Or they could limit it to the relatively small subset of models that have every result available, leaving many popular models out of the results column even if they are only missing a rollover rating or roof crush test.

Fortunately, they also provide a calculator. You can always put in the data that is known then try out various possibilities for those that are not yet known. I know of no other tool that gives this flexibility and allows for comparisons among vehicles of any type and weight class based strictly on data and not subjective criteria.

If they're gonna make up a score, they need to make it a lot more clear that they made up a score.

As it is, the score just appears and unless you read the fine print and know how it all works, you might not notice. Their default should be either two scores (one with that fake score right next to one without), or just have a calculator as the primary option so you are forced to find the score yourself.

I just find it too deceptive right now. That's something I'd expect from, say, a car manufacturer, but the whole point of that website is to inform parents so I find it an affront to that purpose when they do it that way. They have all the tools, they just need to organize it and present it in a way that isn't so deceptive.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You should send them an email. I've found the site owner has been very receptive in the past to suggestions. Highlighting missing results in yellow or something so that you are more likely to notice it is a good idea.

You should send them an email. I've found the site owner has been very receptive in the past to suggestions. Highlighting missing results in yellow or something so that you are more likely to notice it is a good idea.

Yes, something as basic as that would really wipe out my complaints. It has to be pretty attention grabbing tho and not some stupid asterisk.

southpawboston

Yes, something as basic as that would really wipe out my complaints. It has to be pretty attention grabbing tho and not some stupid asterisk.

If they're gonna make up a score, they need to make it a lot more clear that they made up a score.

As it is, the score just appears and unless you read the fine print and know how it all works, you might not notice. Their default should be either two scores (one with that fake score right next to one without), or just have a calculator as the primary option so you are forced to find the score yourself.

I just find it too deceptive right now. That's something I'd expect from, say, a car manufacturer, but the whole point of that website is to inform parents so I find it an affront to that purpose when they do it that way. They have all the tools, they just need to organize it and present it in a way that isn't so deceptive.

What else should they do?

They could do like Consumer Reports and other magazines used to do, and base it only on available results (or just IIHS or just NHTSA), later to find a recommended model got a poor result in one of those missing areas. Or they could limit it to the relatively small subset of models that have every result available, leaving many popular models out of the results column even if they are only missing a rollover rating or roof crush test.

Fortunately, they also provide a calculator. You can always put in the data that is known then try out various possibilities for those that are not yet known. I know of no other tool that gives this flexibility and allows for comparisons among vehicles of any type and weight class based strictly on data and not subjective criteria.

wow, i'm away for months and i come back with a shocking sense of deja vu! i think i've heard (and participated in) this exact dialogue more than once.

i've always held that IFL is misleading to the average consumer. sure, it's a great tool--as darren states--for making your own calculations and assumptions. but as everyone knows, the average consumer wants a quick answer, a yes or no, good or bad. they don't want to know how the equation works, and they don't want to do the tweaking themselves. and i agree with codex that being more upfront and open about the caveats of IFL would change my opinion, somewhat. however, it's now years later, several emails later, and it's still the same website with the same misleading calculations, and no clearer disclaimer. boo.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
wow, i'm away for months and i come back with a shocking sense of deja vu! i think i've heard (and participated in) this exact dialogue more than once.

i've always held that IFL is misleading to the average consumer. sure, it's a great tool--as darren states--for making your own calculations and assumptions. but as everyone knows, the average consumer wants a quick answer, a yes or no, good or bad. they don't want to know how the equation works, and they don't want to do the tweaking themselves. and i agree with codex that being more upfront and open about the caveats of IFL would change my opinion, somewhat. however, it's now years later, several emails later, and it's still the same website with the same misleading calculations, and no clearer disclaimer. boo.

Of course, the website owner does not have to recognize your complaints as valid even if you send them. Did they not respond at all?

Given the lack of any other tool that allows any type of comparison across vehicle classes using actual data and studies to compile an overall rating, there isn't really anything else available. If you have some good ideas on putting together a similar type of composite rating, I might be interested in helping if something better can be accomplished.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC